Can Fish Be Sad?

Fatty

Dunno, but I'm sad when I look at my now solo fish in the 55. One of my fish leapt to her death a couple days ago...one of my large oscars. Found the tank lid up (she must have hit it once or done it all at once) My kid never had a chance to open it, so foul play is ruled out. Found the fish behind the couch. She probably fought for a long while.... Sad... :disgust:

:(

Convert to a saltwater reef and you won't have to "dispose" of any remains.

My fish tend to just disappear. Kinda strange actually. Has happened to about 4 so far. Last one was a $35 butterfly fish, just disappeared overnight. :unsure:

aw, i'm sorry fatty. how long have you had your oscars now? my clown plecko bit the dust 3 days ago. i was sad, cuz it was my favorite.

i do know that fish can get stressed out. was there a water temp. change? possibly the water quailty? (nitrates, ammonia,.....maybe got to big for the tank?)

well sorry again.....

GC Founder

The fish were fine, just very active, and great eaters. She didn't leap to her death because of any tank conditions. 2 days or so before this I had a pet fanatic friend of ours in here, telling me how awesome they looked, identified the sex of all my fish ( 2 oscars were both girls), etc. Maybe it saw a beer on my desk and went for it.

Convert to a saltwater reef and you won't have to "dispose" of any remains.

My fish tend to just disappear.  Kinda strange actually.  Has happened to about 4 so far.  Last one was a $35 butterfly fish, just disappeared overnight.  :unsure:

*sneaks out of mrX's place with fish in hand*

SCORE! another free dinner :ph34r:

Lol LH.. Yeah Fatty that happens I guess.. We've been pretty lucky so far and only lost our pleco.. I think from the ich medication and temp rise.. But those oscars do produce alot of waste especially if they are "eating good".. Do you have a test kit? only bout $5 at the fish shop..

mrx, what size is your saltwater tank? Second how much live rock do you have? I would first look at the source where I am buying my fish. If a fish dies in 4 days that isn't a good sign. Second if you have chocolate chip starfish or any other starfish they will help devour any dead organism. Except chocolate chip and a few other starfish are predator and will hunt down your fish. I also question putting butterfly fish in a reef tank because they naturally eat soft corals. I would be interested in hearing more about your reef tank and what it has in it. One other thing, check for bristle worms!!!! They create problems for everything in a reef tank. However there is a solution, it is call dottybacks!

To Fatty:

Any time your dealing with a decent size fish you should place weight, around 10 pounds, on the lid. Generally what happens is a quick flash of light someone running by the tank, or the local disco bar and it's neon lights in the tank, spooks a fish and it zooms to the top of the water. Oscars are huge when they are full grown, around 14-16 inches long, and extremely powerful. Anyways, I doubt the fish was depressed and made a leap of faith or saw the beer next to the computer. Sorry, i know they are fish but you get attached to them when you have had them as long as you have had your oscars.

mrx, i am not trying to accuse the store whom your are buying your fish from but saltwater fish are captured two ways. The first way, which is mostly in the Phillipines, they take a ketchup bottle of water and cyanide and spray in an area where there are lots of fish. This knocks the fish out and they float to the top. Then the dude in the bottle nets them up and dips them in freshwater to wake them up. The go put them in a tank and ship them out immediately to stores across Europe and U.S. Therefore these fish could be reaching your tank within 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. Imagine the stress level of that. Not only stress but the cyanide and freshwater dip kills all the fishes digestive enzymes. That means they eat and poop alot but their bodies are absorbing little to no food and it is basically a slow starvation period. Ask your dealer where he buys his fish from and if they quarantine there fish. If they do buy it after the quarantine period is up or wait until the fish is out of quarantine to pick it up.

Mrx i worked for this guy for 3 and 1/2 years and alot of these photos were taken in the store I worked at. Would be a great book for you to read.Reef Aquariums