I'm buying...again!

gOOters

Well,

Christi wants to get out of her Mustang because the two doors are not practical. Also, she will need something better suited for commuting. What suggestions do you guys have? We need 1. reliable, 2. not too expensive, 3. 4 door and good gas mileage. We are going to buy a used vehicle. I never buy new anyway.

Christi is ambivalent, more or less, so short of the Mercedes that she really wants (and is NOT getting), we are thinking Accord probably, maybe a Maxima or Camry. I am kinda sweet on the Accord though...what do you guys think?

Not as fun a topic as what is the greatest sports car of all time...I'll admit. :rolleyes:

2004 Kia Rio 4 door...

I bought a 2003, been rearended twice, looks like new even after the impacts aside from a few scratches that were buffed out. Awesome gas mileage, I get 36-41 MPG ALL the time. Its also great for commuting, I drive an hour back and forth to home from school every weekend and it holds up pretty well.

To top it all off they have a 10 year powertrain warranty and a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. So starting at just $6995 for a brand new car isnt a bad deal, especially with those warranties.

Just my suggestion, since I bought mine my mom got a Kia Sedona, and my mom's best friend got a Kia Rio...all get great gas mileage and all have the warranty.

Gunny

I was gonna suggest a Kia as well...best value on the market.

HOWEVER!

Kia's ARE known to have a greater percentage of lemons than other cars...but with the warranty...it's all free to get replaced...

that's just a warning.

with that said I STILL say get a Kia or a Chevy Cavalier (I'm a GM fan til the day I die because of Oldsmobile and Pontiac).

Cavaliers are about the same...CHEAP cars that can look nice (if you get the special edition ones) and get good gas mileage...

I'd say go with the Accord.

As a honda, its reliable. Its also very nice to drive (while not quite as fun as a Z), and comfortable enough that you can handle the commute. Its stylish and roomy.

As for the Kia's, I've never been in one. The only Korean car I've been in are Hyundia's, and definately get what you pay for...you get the cheap price, with the cheaply put to gether, and cheaply designed car. My girlfriend's cousin's Elantra is a total POS...uncomfortable to be in for extended periods of times and not aware of the existence of Ergonomics. But, it does have a 100,000,000,000,000 mile/ 500 year warranty if you want to own it that long.

Another sugguestion I'd make is a Camry (ever reliable, ever comfortable) or a G20/A4 (if you want to raise the cost a bit). My Girlfriend drives a G20 and I think its worth every penny she spent on it. The car is amazingly comfortable and very sweet. My buds A4 is a subcompact, but also very luxerious and very comfortable. You can get a 2000 G20 for about $13K and a A4 for about $16K. Both very worth the money IMHO.

Edited by White Knight

Used Honda's have amazing warranties themselves. LongHair has a Camry and it is doing great, Camry's last forever but I am not a fan of the somewhat bland styling Toyato has aside from the Solara. Maxima's are nice, but of the three I would go with an Accord.

But Acura TL or Integra have some good sedans. (Late models have the type R thing going too!)

But the Accord 6 cylinder is so silky smooth and pretty quick that you don't actually hardly need the Acura badge for the luxury and power.

My mom's 1997 accord was still going like brand new this summer until I totaled it. Whoops! Now she has a 2003 accord and loves it too. We're pretty much a honda family. My brother had an 84 accord that also ran great, until he totaled it. My mom also had an 87 accord that was handed down to me when I turned 16. It had 328,000 miles on the speedo when the automatic tranny dropped on it. I sold it to a friend for a dollar in quarters, and he got the tranny fixed. He drove it to about 400,000 miles, and then his brother totaled it.

Lesson: Accords are great cars that will last forever, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T TOTAL THEM!

p.s. Any honda would make a great car, she could maybe try a 4 door civic as well, they are fairly roomy and get good gas mileage. I had a 93 civic that had 200,000 miles on it, and now I have a Civic Del Sol. Also a four door acura Integra would be a good deal. My brother just bought a 96 and it is nice.

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

Why not a 1998-2000 Chevy Blazer...should cost anywhere from around 10,000 to about 18,000....shop round....

We have a Blazer and it gets great gas mileage. Its gonna be my ride when i get my license this Spring...

My mom's 1997 accord was still going like brand new this summer until I totaled it.  Whoops!  Now she has a 2003 accord and loves it too.  We're pretty much a honda family.  My brother had an 84 accord that also ran great, until he totaled it.  My mom also had an 87 accord that was handed down to me when I turned 16.  It had 328,000 miles on the speedo when the automatic tranny dropped on it.  I sold it to a friend for a dollar in quarters, and he got the tranny fixed.  He drove it to about 400,000 miles, and then his brother totaled it.

Lesson:  Accords are great cars that will last forever, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T TOTAL THEM!

p.s.  Any honda would make a great car, she could maybe try a 4 door civic as well, they are fairly roomy and get good gas mileage.  I had a 93 civic that had 200,000 miles on it, and now I have a Civic Del Sol.  Also a four door acura Integra would be a good deal.  My brother just bought a 96 and it is nice.

Thanks for the testimony Sheep...I have heard nothing but great things about Hondas thus far.

The problem with Honda is that when it needs to be fixed in any way shape or form, it'll cost you an arm and a leg. but hey i guess all imports are like that? Id still recomend one. 2 weekends ago, i almost bought a 1997 Prelude, but got a 2000 Eclipse insead cause id rather have a newer car.

I love my Acura.

Honda = de_Bomb.

If Acura/Honda would only make a higher end sports car thats not $100K (like the NSX) it would be next car.

Oh well, there's always Porshe and Audi.

Yeah, RSX S-Type is as close as they get. I almost bought one :P

OMGoodness, Goot, I LOVE the new Avatar.

I complained to my folks about my Maintenance bill (they drive Toyota's) and apparently my car bill is no less resonable than theirs. I'm not sure about a comparison to American.

My 30K maintenance was $400.

Does ne1 have a comparison from GM or Ford?

I love my Acura.

Honda = de_Bomb.

If Acura/Honda would only make a higher end sports car thats not $100K (like the NSX) it would be next car.

Oh well, there's always Porshe and Audi.

Yeah, RSX S-Type is as close as they get. I almost bought one :P

What about the S2000? I've driven one, and they are great!

(edited)
Well,

Christi wants to get out of her Mustang because the two doors are not practical. Also, she will need something better suited for commuting. What suggestions do you guys have? We need 1. reliable, 2. not too expensive, 3. 4 door and good gas mileage. We are going to buy a used vehicle. I never buy new anyway.

Not as fun a topic as what is the greatest sports car of all time...I'll admit.  :rolleyes:

er...my post! heehee. Good point Sheepz, I cant believe I forgot the S2000, 'tis a marvelous little sports car!!

Edited by gOOters

(edited)
You Got the Small part right Gooters.  They are a 'little' car.  Me grimlock need car that actually has a trunk bigger than a briefcase.  Of course, that also removes any Porsche out there except the Cayanne (yuck).

Me grimlock! HAHA! I had forgotten about that big ol' lug. The S2000 is not made for hauling more than your arse and maybe a briefcase. But it is a terrefic sports car. Just wanted to give it it's props.

And Yo, not too many sports cars would be big enough for your freakish height. So...STOP WHINING!!!!

Edited by gOOters

You Got the Small part right Gooters?

you gonna take that?

and yeah, never drove an S2000, but I have driven the RSX Type-S and WHEW! that baby was FUN!

it was just an all around great car....a car that you can get up in the morning and say "wow, I get to drive THAT...I'll take the back roads."

I love my car, LOVE!

She is the perfect balance of performance, luxery and utility. She can carry more stuff than my girl's G20, yet shes fast and comfortable. And the ergonomics, man! Almost every month I discover a new feature or cool thingy that I didn't notice before. There is a little pocket on the door that is almost to small for anything...except it perfectly fits my toll tag so I can put it in there instead of glueing it to my windshield. Two months ago I noticed that my back seat has a hanger hook. I hadn't noticed it before because it is folded up in the roof, but if you know its there, whammy you have a hook.

Ok, I'm gonna stop now. I love my car. LOVE.

yeah...I came |--| this close to buying one. I drove an S-type...loads of fun, especially when the cam came on! and you can fit a decent sized coffee table in the freakin thing! oh...and it really wraps you up in some style, the ergonomics are par excellence and the leather wrapped Recaro seats will keep you comfy for a cross-country drive!!