kazaa lite

flux

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IRC is great, I personally like having a bands whole album instead of just one or two songs and its much easier to do that with irc. You can also get much more than music.

(edited)

Quick tutorial for newbies on how to use IRC to get files:

1) Get an IRC client. I use mIRC. [ http://www.mirc.com ]

*** Configuring mIRC (I am basing this off a slightly older version)

Start it up and an "Options" window should come up automatically, enter your basic information (Full Name, Email Address, Nickname, and an Alternative Nickname in case the first one is in use).

Now head over to the DCC section (on the left) and have "Show get dialog" checked in the radio buttons. In the DCC->Folders section, click Edit, then click the "Into this Folder" button and choose a default download location (Desktop, My Documents, etc.). In the same section, go to DCC Ignore and choose disabled in the combobox, and uncheck "Turn ignore back on in:" so you won't ignore any file sends.

Now close mIRC.

2) Go to http://www.packetnews.com (or http://www.ircspy.com but many people prefer packetnews).

3) Type in your search and click "Search."

4) You will be redirected to a page listing bots on IRC that have files for download that relate to your search. Find one with a file name that you think is what you're looking for.

5) Click the # of the file you want to download. (In the "Pack" column for packetnews, on the far left for IRCSpy)

6) mIRC will pop up and ask about a "Link Request." Leave the radio button set to "Change servers and join the channel," and click "Proceed."

7) IRC will now connect to the server on which that bot is idling, if it doesn't work trying finding a different bot to download from.

8) Once you successfully join the channel in which the bot is idling, press Ctrl + V to paste the command that packetnews or IRCSpy put in your clipboard, and press Enter. This command will send a message to the bot saying that you want to get this file. If there are any download spots open it will send you the file, otherwise it will put you in a queue (waiting list) to download it. If nothing happens for awhile (no send, no message telling you that you're in a queue) that means the bot is offline, and you must find a different one. Once it sends you the file, choose the location (probably your default location is fine) and receive it.

9) Enjoy your new file! :)

Tips:

[*] Many files on IRC are in .rar format, which is much like a .zip file. Use Winrar [ http://download.com.com/3000-2250-10259256.html?tag=lst-0-1 ] to open them.

[*] Many downloads are "spanned" across more than one .rar file. Just open the first of the spanned files and extract it, Winrar will handle the rest automatically.

Did I get everything right, people who know what they are doing?

Edited by Hitman

Yeah, I like using KaZaA Lite every now and again for files that I just can't find on IRC. It's a lot easier to search/download. But for some things, in my experience, IRC can get me a far better download speed, and (with practice) things aren't too hard to find.

For example, I've gotten a lot of bad mp3's from K Lite (they play fine for a few seconds but after that it's just fuzz) but I've never seen anything like that from IRC. Maybe I'll give this WinMX a try.

(edited)

Upon further inspection of WinMX... you've made me a believer Homer. Every file I've gotten so far is perfect, and I like how it tells you how many that user has in a queue already when you search. I still like my IRC, but I'll most likely use WinMX before KaZaA Lite from now on.

Edited by Hitman

TeK
(edited)

Hitman, theres just one big problem with what you said.

Packetnews and ircspy aren't very good :D . But if I had to resort to packetnews or ircspy, i've found the best public bots to be on the Rizon network. This just from personal experience.

A person on my team told me of a network and hidden IRC channel where I get all of my stuff from. Mainly just Movies, games, and very few appz on very very fast download speeds(upwards of 300-400k a sec) and 9 times out of 10 no queue. I know the DVD rip of ROTK was just on there. 3.1 gigs :/ . The thing is that the channel is hidden from xdcc search engines so the newbie guide to IRC doesn't work =D .

So to all public IRC users who use packetnews and IRCSpy, Rizon network is ur best bet for things, they have the most reliable public bots I have found.

*Edit*

On the topic of bittorent, I have never really been a fan of it. The only way you can get your stuff is if there are a ton of seeds which sometimes on older software there aren't many. You are then forced to upload also which is a connection killer. I've heard B++ allows you to not upload but have not tried it as I stay as far away from torrents as humanly possible unless needed.

www.supernova.org is rly your #1 BT source.

Edited by TeK

(edited)

Well I've never had a problem getting stuff from packetnews or IRCSpy, I'm sure that any non publicly known server/channel with good connections are automatically going to be better than a public one... the key is to SHARE your knowledge with others (hint hint). :D

As for bittorrent, I've only gotten one thing from that with much success at all using suprnova, but then again maybe I just pick the wrong files to download.

Edited by Hitman

well, all of this music downloading is getting to be a pain. the songs i now download from kazaa start for like 15 seconds then have this weird noise like some alien is trying to transfer messages through songs. and i will download one song and it will be something completely different. i'm getting sick of it all. and i tryed to fix/re d/l winmx, no go. still blows for me.

I can send you a screenshot if you don't believe me? I'll just blur out the channel name and bot. I recently just downloaded Matrix revolutions DVD rip along with ROTK DVD rip. Both solid at 400k a second ;)

So if you still don't believe me suit yourself :) !