kazaa lite

flux

hey all. i'm on a router and as you know i can't accept things over the net and stuff thru ppl. i was wondering if someone can host kazaa lite for me? or is there a way to let me accept stuff even though a have a router.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kazaa Lite, Teamspeak, and other applications use "ports" to gain access to/from the internet. You can forward these ports to a particular computer on your network by logging into the router.

I'll assume you have a home setup and are not talking about your college dorm's network router. I'll describe the process I use on my Linksys BEFSR41 gateway router, other routers should be very similar.

You'll need to find out what your PC's address is on the network, it will have one even if it is the only computer connected to the router. First, open up Internet Explorer. Type in http://192.168.1.1 and you should get a prompt for a login/password. The Linksys series uses nothing in the login box and "admin" in the passwrd box by default. You should now be logged into the router. To find your PC's internal IP click on the Status tab, then on Clients Table and you will see the name of your computer followed by an IP, such as 192.168.1.102, make a note of this.

Now on the Linksys you click on the Advanced tab, then on Forwarding. You'll have to know the ports that need forwarding by your application. I did this last night with WinMX (superior to Kazaa Lite) so I remember the ports, they are 6699 TCP and 6257 UDP. So you plug in 6699 in both boxes for the "port range", select TCP, and fill in 102 to complete the IP address of 192.168.1.102. Then 6257, UPD, and 102 in a similar manner for that port.

Hit Update Settings to save this info to the router and the application should work.

(edited)
I wanted to try Kazaa Lite but all the shareware crap it wanted to install scared me away - anyone know if that stuff screws up the PC?

I've been fine with a full install of KaZaA Lite, what freeware crap are you talking about exactly?

Edited by Hitman

Try WinMX <=click link

The things that makes it superior to Kazaa Lite are: no advertising or spyware; it will start downloading from a person even if they are downloading the file from a third person (who could be downloading it from a 4th person, and on and on.....) so everyone is getting the file at the same time (no successive waiting as each person gets it); when you search for a file it will tell you where you will be in the queue for it or how many users you can immediately start downloading it from.

I've been downloading some old movies @ 700-800mb and have a very high success rate.

irc is good but i only use it when i need things beyond winmx, i can barely search mp3's as fast as they download with winmx.

winmx blows.

be glad people dont come to your thread and all they have to say is something that took so little time to think up such as this. o0o

WinMX is good, no spyware. Limewire is nice as well.. eMule and eDonkey are nice(crash my router tho). I have the same problem with bittorrent stuff too.. Seems like when I used those types of programs(data from many users at once) my router takes a crap. I unplug it and plug it back in and I'm good.. Dunno.

i don't know. i set it up as usual and it just plain sucked for me. couldn't find one song that would actually download. and the one's that did took like an hour, and i'm on cable.