WoW - what kind of server do you want?

Seph

(edited)

As some of you may or may not know, as in most MMORPGs, there will most likely be different types of servers for WoW. The most likely ones will be: Normal, FvF (horde vs alliance), PvP (player vs player) and RP (role plaiyng). I'll go into these in detail.

Normal: This is "normal" pvp. In wow, there will be instanced zones (maps) that will have pvp (not sure if it is anyone kills anyone, or just FvF) and only in these zones. That means no killing anyone else unless in these zones (or if they agree to a duel..) which basically means it is consentual pvp. This is good if you never want to fight other people, because you can avoid those zones.

FvF: This server is great for raiding other towns and for long PvP battles. This means any member of the alliance if open to attack from the horde and vice-versa. This is my personal choice.

PvP: Also known as PK servers. These servers are where anyone can kill anyone at any time, no restrictions. Some people see these as suspensful because an attacker could be hiding around the corner at any time, although I've heard horror stories about higher leveling slaughtering newbies. Personally this would be my least favorite.

RP: This is where all the people who want to role play go. Role players tend to be more mature (big generalization there) and nicer (again..). These RPers usually interact with eachother within their characters. So instead of going up to someone and saying "hey man, how's it been going? wanna party up?" they would say something like "Oh, I've heard about your deeds before, care to group with me? (I know that sounds cheezy, I suck at doing it.. but you get the point)" Of course, not everyone has to RP on these servers.. its just encouraged here, and generally everyone who would on normal servers go to these.

Well there you go.. I'm interested in seeing what you guys will choose. I tried to make a poll but it wouldn't let me.

Edited by Seph

The only server type I will not play on is PvP. Too much griefing on those. If you have no idea what I'm talking about...do a google search on Fancy from EQ. Very funny, unless you were one of the victims.

RP servers tend not to pan out. (bad experience in SWG with rp guild)

The FvF im not sure about...sounds interesting. If I recall correctly DAoC was like this and at the same time had a few safe zones as well.

RPK/PK here. I love the thrill of hunting down a group gaining xp/loot somewhere and taking a few out and living to tell about it, maybe sell them their stuff back. Thats how i roll in mmo's 8P) ( after seeing linch's post, you could call me a griefer, ill kill ya for no reason if i can get away with it )

Ill go to FvF server also, big battles are sweet and you can really perfect your characters offense/defense with the practice. Repairs suck, how does death work in WoW with regards to equiptment and inventory ?

Role Play server. Nope, no thnx.

Edited by All Kill3r

Repairs suck, how does death work in WoW with regards to equiptment and inventory ?

From what I gather you become a ghost, and you have to travel to your corpse as a ghost (no monsters/non-ghost players can see you). When you get near your corpse you'll get all your items back in perfect condition like in D2.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
RPK/PK here. I love the thrill of hunting down a group gaining xp/loot somewhere and taking a few out and living to tell about it, maybe sell them their stuff back. Thats how i roll in mmo's  8P) ( after seeing linch's post, you could call me a griefer, ill kill ya for no reason if i can get away with it )

Ill go to FvF server also, big battles are sweet and you can really perfect your characters offense/defense with the practice. Repairs suck, how does death work in WoW with regards to equiptment and inventory ?

Role Play server. Nope, no thnx.

diito :boing:

I hope they dont split the game up into different types of servers...if so this is what you will have.

Carebear kiddies will go to the Role playing server

Grief killers will go to PvP and there will be noone but grief killers playing.

Since most games went away from the PvP, im sure this game will have two major sides that you can join that will always be fighting one another.

There has to be some PvP in the servers, Im pretty sure thats what the game is about. I mean what if there was no PvP in the first three warcrafts. Everyone on your game builds up the cities and then goes out and hunts monsters together. Wouldnt be to fun, if your lookin for this type of game you might want to stick to EQ.

I was orginally planning on playing UXO, but I think im gonna try this out instead.

Edited by NOFX

I dont know how you think carebears go to RP servers :P IVe been playing DAoC for over 2 years now and the Nimue RP server is probably the most competitve for RvRers out of any of the servers. I myself will hopefully try and go to an RP server. My DAoC guild doesnt really RP but the RP servers have a more mature atmosphere about them.

When I played SWG we played on the "unoffical" RP server. A lot of guilds played on Chilistra, and a large majority of the players were very mature. Although if you look hard enough...I'm sure you'll find some immature kids (and adults).

Its all about FvF...

Horde versus Alliance battles are what its all about!!!!!!

Itll be so fun to get a bug group of alliance guys and raiding and Orc town and stealin all their stuff...boya!