A Word from the Treasurer plus *SERVER PROPOSAL*

Fatty

In the hopes of serving the best interests of the Coalition as a whole, I submit to you the following financial summary, followed by the official proposal to switch from GD to FiberFrag for CS Server hosting.

CURRENT SITUATION:

Current, my estimates of income look like this:

8 board members = $1,200 annually

~10 paying admins = $1,000 annually

8 members = $200 annually.

This is roughly $2,400 / year in income.

I'm estimating $500 in profit from FragFest this year that will also be applied to our server fund. That leaves us with about $2,900.

At current we are paying:

For CS at GameDaemons: $165 / month = $1,980 / year

For UT at FiberFrag: $143 / month = $1,716 / year

For a total of $3,696 (about $800 over-budget)

Why? More inactivity. More lower-level contributions.

Moving our CS server to FiberFrag would not only reduce the base cost of our CS server, but would also give us a 10% discount on BOTH public servers. The scenario would then be:

UT @ 22 * 6.5 = 143 - 14.30 = 128.70

CS @ 21 * 5.5 = 115.5 - 11.55 = 104.95

Total package = $233.65 / month = $2803.80 / year ($100 under-budget).

-----

Keep in mind that there will be an obvious shortfall because we have run 4 months into the year already with the CS on GD. That will raise the budget specific to 2004.

How do we address that? Continue to increase membership. Find members that want to advance into adminship. I'd also think we could find a few more board members. All of this would make a difference.

-----

I'd like to make a motion that we put the above proposal into action immediately, renting a second FiberFrag server simultaneously to Trop to ease the transition and help to move our CS community.

All in favor?

(ps. feel free to ask questions before you vote)

GC Founder

I must add that the Clone was not running any addons. I would also like to keep the potential rental free of unnecessary anything (minimal needed to maintain our standards). At any rate, that's not the topic here. We'll hit that later if this works out.

I vote to move. I talked to GD, and they're willing to offer some discount, but honestly, I'm not happy with the way they tend to deal with things... GotFrag moved to ReconGamer for a reason. I may be able to swing a better deal at ReconGamer, but they are EAST only, so some folks out west won't ping as well. If FiberFrag is willing to give us a decent deal, that'd be the way to go... I'll get us a CoD server at RG for now so we can twiddle with that game again.

Fats,

How many "peripheral" private servers do we have in .gc? Meaning servers rented by teams that are members of .gc? I know we used to have all the country club members running their own private servers for their teams--if that's still something that's ongoing, you may want to mention this to FiberFrag and indicate to them that teams tend to move with us when we switch servers. I know MwR switched from recongamer to GD when Trop moved. So it's not just a discount on .gc servers--he might be willing to give you more if there's referral business as well. Let me know, bcs I'd like to be able to bring this up to RG as well.

On a side note, I think it might be worthwhile to add that to the .gc homepage--not just a member listing, but also teams that are affiliated with .gc (costing nothing) just something that would be a nice sense of an evolved community.

er...what's that cod server going to cost us? nothing? can we just make it a CS server instead?

I'm going to try to swing the CoD server for free. I can try for a CS server as well, but to be honest, I think we're better off driving all the traffic to one "Trop" --

Also, Fatty, for the Trop server description @ GD, assuming we go forward with a move, I strongly suggest you change it to: Tropolis has moved to: <new IP @fiberfrag>

That might help move people over. Then set the max clients to 0/0 so ppl can't join. They'll hopefully add the new IP to their browser/ASE or whatever and go from there. If there's an overlap on servers, that is. See if FiberFrag will give you the server for free for one month too.

GC Founder
I strongly suggest you change it to: Tropolis has moved to: <new IP @fiberfrag>

That was part of the plan. That and constant MOTM messages.

That might help move people over. Then set the max clients to 0/0 so ppl can't join.

This would probably be done for last couple weeks.

Could also use the redirect script that we have used in the past.

Only problem here is that people don't realize where they've been sent many times.

GC Founder
Fats,

How many "peripheral" private servers do we have in .gc? Meaning servers rented by teams that are members of .gc? I know we used to have all the country club members running their own private servers for their teams--if that's still something that's ongoing, you may want to mention this to FiberFrag and indicate to them that teams tend to move with us when we switch servers. I know MwR switched from recongamer to GD when Trop moved. So it's not just a discount on .gc servers--he might be willing to give you more if there's referral business as well. Let me know, bcs I'd like to be able to bring this up to RG as well.

On a side note, I think it might be worthwhile to add that to the .gc homepage--not just a member listing, but also teams that are affiliated with .gc (costing nothing) just something that would be a nice sense of an evolved community.

There aren't many incentives to resell, and to be honest, I really don't wanna go that route at the moment.

We've done the "hey look at the other teams" around here in the past. I'm honestly tired of the baggage we get for being the hub...cause it actually divides as it brings together. For now, I'd like gc to worry about gc, and ALL are welcome to be a part of that.

So, as I know it, there really aren't any "teams" affiliated with GC atm, unless you consider Mmmm...but Mmmm atm doesn't play as a team doing anything. We have one DOH and a couple other free-agents....etc. Like I said when you and I talked, there's no need for speed....we need to serve those who come to be served, not look for more to conquor.......slow and easy.

*Edit, although, fiber doesn't offer the general population private servers....exisiting clients can get a private for 3.50 / slot.