Texas Holdem

Fatty

I need to get an idea about numbers and our Texas Holdem games.

Are you interested in:

A) Playing for Fun

or

B) Playing for more than fun

This is not necessarily a sign-up, but I need to get an idea about where people stand so I can consider numbers of games, tables, etc.

Poker among friends is not illegal gambling until you reach a certain dollar value from what I understand

Edit*** Ok, I did some quick research because the above was just hear-say, I didn't have any real proof and it can vary from state to state. I know you don't want to talk about money in this forum fatty, but for those who might be worried here is some clarification about gambling.

I got this from here for the state of Ohio:

Gambling Statutes

(A) No person shall do any of the following: {pg 26}

(2) Establish, promote, or operate or knowingly engage in conduct that facilitates any scheme or game of chance conducted for profit; {pg 26}

[Poker under Ohio Law is considered a game of chance]

(e) No person shall receive any commission, wage, salary, reward, tip, donation, gratuity or other form of compensation, directly or indirectly, for operating or assisting in the operation of any scheme or game of chance.  {pg 29}

I'm not a law man, you might want X to look at this document if you are actually worried about this. But to me it seems to say as long as someone isn't running the poker tourney for profit then it doesn't matter. If we play this tourney style, where winners take percentages of the total, and all of the money put into the tourney is given out it prize money, there should be nothing illegal about it.

GC Founder
Ohio Revised Code

Last visited 2003-9-7

Chapter 2915 contains the Penal Code provisions on Gambling.

1974 Committee Comment to H 511

The fundamental thrust of new Chapter 2915. is to prohibit the business of gambling without forbidding gambling carried on for pleasure rather than profit.

Under the chapter, all forms of gambling and activities in aid of it are illegal if carried on as a business, or for personal profit, or as a significant source of income or livelihood. Otherwise, no form of gambling is illegal. Gambling in public is prohibited to avoid enforcement problems, and this represents a partial exception to the general rule in the chapter.

So we're good to go. Here's the rest if you're interested: http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Ohio/

(edited)

Well I was hoping you guys didn't take me seriously, I've even been known to place a wager here and there ;). Last bet was for $50 if I would let a cockroach crawl around in my mouth for 60 seconds and then produce it unharmed, got another $20 for eating it lol

Edited by Preacher

Awesome, Preach. I echo slappy's sentiments, but awesome. I was offered money to sample some substance off of a table, but my wife (then fiancee) caught me and held up the wager. It was between me, her love, and one of her co-workers and a good friend of mine. My wife told and he got in trouble with his wife too. That wasn't fun. :disgust: