New Computer parts... not so good

nut

YES!

ok.. this is what has happend these past 2 weeks...

i graduated from mid school... and got some presents supprisingly ... i got 100 bucks from my dad 50 and some clothes from my mom and 25 or so from my aunt...

total 175

i bought a g-force 5200FX... pure crap...

i read up on it and it was great reviews... but one crappy card..

so... i sent it back on RMA back to newegg...

then...

i bought 2 games of the internet... DAOC SI AND DAOC TOA...

they are on back order... so i have to call them to tell them to cancel the order...

and then buy it in the store...

BUT...

the first good thing to happen out of this is my brothers friend is upgrading his computer... so he has 2 sticks of 256= 512 2100... i already have a stick of 256... and my games lag really really bad...

i got the sticks put em in ...

played daoc... i port so quick you wouldnt believe...

but thats the experience of stupidity =)

NuT- :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally, as a gamer, will not buy "second tier" video cards.

Right now on a budget I suggest the 9800 Pro as a starting point, if you can't buy it now keep saving. ~$200

For higher end the X800 Pro and 6800 GT are both great cards, and you'll "get what you pay for". ~$425

The X800 XT and 6800 GT Ultra are only for those with the money and desire for the best. ~$525

Are you a gamer or a "mainstream consumer"?!

Try going from 512mb to 1gb or RAM when you can (best wait for your next mobo/cpu, don't get too invested in PC2100). BF1942/DC/BFV run great, instant jump between gameplay and server list screen. WoW runs quite nice on 1gb too. :wavey:

/agree bullet. 1.5gig of ram > 1gig > 512mb in gaming. I haven't experienced having enuf of it yet.

as to the video card, if you ever have a question of what you should be looking for come to Hardware/Software. We don't bite :angry:

none of the FX line can stand up to their ATI competitors

your crazy. 8P)

yeah I just upgraded to the 1 gig of RAM. RUnning with that Mushkin Black "High Performance" RAM. Nice stuff.

As for video cards... I'm crawling along with my tried and true GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb I equate it to my car(a 95' Camry w/181K miles) Its old and may not look like much but i'll be darned if its ever failed me.

bad analogy. It's like being partially blind, since you haven't seen it clear you don't realize what your missing. ;)

what ram did you get LongHair, recently from newegg ? 2x512 or 4x256, if you just got a 2x512 kit, lemme know if you oc'ed it and how it went please. I had just got a 2x512 Muskin kit from the egg and it was defective. So im rethinking what ill be getting when my refund goes through. I really don't wanna go with OCZ EB's...

nut

Well wow... the ram has made evreything much quicker... and yes homer has a good idea and crowbar.

the 9500 pro is a good card...

i was looking at this website... great great prices

Pricewatch

go under video cards

what do you guys think would be the best card... in there for around 80 bucks?

The Gforce 4 ti 4800 8x is a nice card.... friend has one..

NuT- B)

9500pro is alright, but for $20 more you can have a 9800pro and have a much better gaming experience... For right around 9500pro prices you can get a GeForce FX 5900 XT. One of them bad boys oc'ed a little will have you on par with 9800pros for around $175. Few bucks less a 9700pro, same price as a 9500pro but a lot better performance with 8 pipelines instead of only 4 on 9500's.

i wouldn't buy any $80 card for gaming. Video card is the #1 piece of hardware for a gamer, if you wanna skimp something, its not the video card. This is all just my opinion on the matter though... i'd keep saving, for $80 your not going to see a gain from your current card. Hope that helps ya ;)

Depends on how often you buy new games. I've always spent less than $150 on video cards and I've always been able to play at the resolution and settings I wanted. Yes, you can spend $300 to get the best resolution and settings, but to me, It really isn't worth it. I buy 2-3 games a year and typically, a $150 vid card will do the job fine for those.

Basically, I'm on the $150 vid card path. I buy a $150 vid card, use it until I find a game I can't play...then upgrade again to the next $150 vid card, etc.

I'm still using my GF3-Ti500. I'm sure it's almost time to upgrade my card. But I've been using this card for 2 years and it's been great.

guess it depends on how much a gamer the individual is then. I play games that a gf3 would choke on as my 9500pro did also, and there is a big performance difference just between those 2 cards. The 150 upgrade plan is good, but you will fall farther and farther behind with it, or end up paying more money because they are not going to last you another 2 years, unless you wait for the 9800 series to fit into the 150 range.

HL2 and other big titles are coming sooner then later, and people will need upgrades to play these that are accustomed to cs at 800x600 opengl. Cards will be crippled when asked to play at 1280x1024 with no AA/AF, let alone trying to use AA/AF to make the IQ look better. If games like BF1942, BF:V, UT2K4, NFS:U, Farcry, Lock On are lagging your card, then HL2 will also.

This is a gaming community, thats why i ended up here. Not just for the CS, but for gaming in general. :boing: I'm sure the people at the LAN will be able to see the difference in the gaming machines. Someone with a gf2mx playing besides someone with a 9800pro, i would even go as far to say that the people with smooth framerates are better gamers in most cases, because fillrates are quicker and theres less lag. You can react much quicker, and in some case even kill people before they know your there, for the simple fact they didn't even see you yet because their hardware was too slow. I see it all the time in the fps games i play. I storm in to an enemy flag in Desert Combat and whipe 5 guys out and don't even get hit, then steal their flag. Its not because im better, its because i didn't lag out when the action started rolling.

It happens is CS still also. People accusing someone of hacks because they make ridiculous shot. Its not hacks in most cases, its the fact they have better hardware, you were on their screen, they saw you. It's you that didn't see them, this applies to most every FPS game their is. You don't see the CPL sporting 1.5ghz intel cpus and GF2's, they use the best because of that, it makes gaming what it is.

For this post to make any sense you have to play games other then CS, that demand more up to date hardware. CS doesn't matter too much, anything will run it, its 5 years old atleast.

(edited)
For higher end the X800 Pro and 6800 GT are both great cards, and you'll "get what you pay for". ~$425

gotta disagree with ya homer, I havent "seen the light", which means I havent played on these cards. But...If I can build a computer with AMD 2500+ Oc'd at 3200+ and git comes with an ATI 9600, and for 25 dollars more, I could buy a video card, to me something seems a lil over priced....:unsure: If I was a hardcore gamer and wanted that card, then yea it might be worth it, But you gotta think back when the low end GeForce3 64 meg cards costs 250 bucks.......

But your right on target with recommending the 9800 pro :)

Edited by NOFX

but cpu's dont mean squat if you have a nice video card. Get the cheapest amd athlon or intel celeron and stick that x800 on it and its going to stomp and pillage a AMD64/P4 with a 9800pro in gaming. the video card isn't the place to skimp for gaming. It's not even 'overpriced' imo, its double the performance of a 9800pro, which is double a gf4...

that means a gf4 plays DC at a theoretical 40fps. the 9800pro will run it at 80fps and the x800 will run it at 160fps. Double the price for double the performance. The only price gouging i see is for the highest end cards. The x800XT and 6800U selling for $700+ right now because of little availablity.

Sinking 400 into an x800 is about the only way to guarentee quality gaming for a while to come, that 9600 non-pro you installed for Erik is ok, but you can't deny that it doesn't even run current games at playable fps with any kind of resolution. It just doesn't have the power, the 3200+ barton is nice but its not going to make that 9600 anything more then a slow 9600 ;)

but yea, 9800pro is the best upgrade price/performance for anyone into gaming right now. i'll show you the light nofx, ill bring the x800 down one weekend and let you give it a whirl.

As for video cards... I'm crawling along with my tried and true GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb I equate it to my car(a 95' Camry w/181K miles) Its old and may not look like much but i'll be darned if its ever failed me.

I upgraded from the 64mb ti4200 to a 9800 pro. Got slight eye-candy improvement and a bit faster loads in SWG. But with only 512mb of RAM, I really coulda lived with the ti4200.

The dilemma I sit in is that my PC uses pc1066 RDRAM, which is still expensive. Debating whether to buy more or just upgrade the whole thing.

nut
As for video cards... I'm crawling along with my tried and true GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb    I equate it to my car(a 95' Camry w/181K miles)  Its old and may not look like much but i'll be darned if its ever failed me.

I upgraded from the 64mb ti4200 to a 9800 pro. Got slight eye-candy improvement and a bit faster loads in SWG. But with only 512mb of RAM, I really coulda lived with the ti4200.

The dilemma I sit in is that my PC uses pc1066 RDRAM, which is still expensive. Debating whether to buy more or just upgrade the whole thing.

Yes! the same thing happend to me...

Daoc ran really really bad ... i would go link dead all the time and i was lagging like a mother... when i would RVR (realm vs Realm) it would lag so much i wouldnet even be able to play...

i stuck 512 more ram in

durring rvr i multitask checking my email listeing to music and post on the fourms...

man.. it was a big... no not big a HUGE improvement..

NuT- :wub:

nut
yes... i should save up... but killer u had a 9500 pro what did u do with it?

PM me if u still have it::

NuT- :laughcry:

it got sold off. the 9800pro got fried. :twitch:

u fired your 9500 pro your a true gamer!!

NuT- :D

Im still using my 9500 Pro. It was probably the best computer investment I have ever made. Lets see its getting close to 20 months old now and still going strong. I paid 200 bucks for it brand new :)

As for video cards... I'm crawling along with my tried and true GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb     I equate it to my car(a 95' Camry w/181K miles)  Its old and may not look like much but i'll be darned if its ever failed me.

Upgrade the CPU/mobo/RAM mrX. The RDRAM path is a dead end. You could go Athlon 64 or P4.