FragFestOhio 05 Meeting Place?

Fatty

For those few of you who would actually be interested in seeing Duff, I am actually considering flying up from Florida to attend this thing. Can I get a bit more info (I have read what I can) on how much playing time appx this would be, about how long (I know 22-24, but starting about when and ending about when), and all liability issues that may be involved (who is protecting the comps while we sleep? for instance). Also, anyone know if they allow computers on planes (in a suitcase, obviously... but I also can't get a monitor in a bag really).

Thanks all.

At the very minimum, there's one of those rooms with 2 PCs in it that we can get on the net with.  Whether or not we can actually get on from the ballroom is unknown atm.

Myself and Chamber have both done computer work at that Holiday Inn. I know that they have wireless internet access and the maintnece guy could possibly run a network cable to the router so we can all get on the internet.

So maybe we could codnate something with HI.

GC Founder

Security will have to be worked out. At the very least, I'll lock the room up or something.

We've never had a problem, but then again, we've never been in a public place before. The worries would only be people NOT from the LAN.

At most any given time, someone is usually awake in the computer area...

Starting time will be Friday afternoon, and we'll clean up Sunday morning.

Things like security depend on my budget.

I start off with X people coming times Y dollars per person, subtract what it costs for the room and snacks...from there, as X increases, the T-shirts will be added to the budget. After that, things like a meal or more snacks, and security can be considered.

Worst case, take your CPU back to your room if there's no security and you're worried about it.

How do they do it at other BYOC lans?

AT CPL, people just leave all their stuff in the large BYOC room. Yes there are chances for things to get stolen and yes things do get stolen but what can u expect from 2000 gamers all in one room. Thats just from my experience and I know that stuff did get stolen from peoples comps such as mice or headphones and even their video cards or whole shuttle system. It's very risky, but I don't know what a bunch of people in a hotel are going to do with it. Its really a tough situation.

What about the possiblility of everyone chiping in for a responsible perosn of two from HI for a night shift thing. Just to keep watch. Just a thought. Oh ya--I'm thinking of going this year seeing that i am a new member and all. Looking at pics from the past it looks like a good time. Need to check out where it is and how far and all that. And if the wife will let me go---LOL.

GC Founder

Welp, this brings up the question as to whether or not we "close" for the night. We've never closed down. We might consider something like this, but then again, many stay up very late, and some get back up to keep going. Like I said, there's not much time where nobody is in there on a computer.

(edited)

Just setup a cheapo PC with a bit of hard drive space in the corner (full view of room), setup a web cam, and record! Instant security

edit... i lose all spelling ability when I write what I'm thinking right away :P

Edited by linch

Just setup a cheapo PC with a bit of hard drive space in the corner (full view of room), setup a web cam, and record!  Instant security

edit... i lose all spelling ability when I write what I'm thinking right away  :P

Unless, of course, the thief decides to steal that particular computer.