Tweaking source for gameplay/fps

urk?!?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone tell me where to put the autoexec.cfg file and what to adjust to get it to load? The link posted to an article seems dead. It took me to a register page, which I completed, then to a subscribe page, which sounds like they want money.

Please help a poor mongo get his shots to register more often. Shooting someone with a pump shottie 4 times and having 1 shot register is a bit nutty for me.

Put you autoexec.cfg in your cfg folder alongside your config.cfg.  And you will want to add in your config folder 'exec autoconfig'.

Hope that helps.

Actually, the autoexec.cfg runs by itself without having to tell something to exec it.

And nothing ever edits it! This is where I put any non-default settings and my name, rcon passes, etc...

Just like mongo, i'm also a noob with this config stuff, but about 10x worse than him.

So If i want to have these settings:

budget_show_history "0"

cl_ejectbrass "0"

mat_bumpmap "0"

mat_picmip "2"

mat_specular "0"

mp_decals "0"

r_decals "20"

muzzleflash_light "0"

r_avglight"0"

r_decals "0"

r_dispfullradius "2"

r_DispUseStaticMeshes "0"

cl_smooth "0"

fps_max "100"

cl_lagcomp_errorcheck "1"

cl_phys_props_enable "0"

cl_show_splashes "0"

cl_phys_props_max "0"

violence_agibs "1"

violence_hgibs "1"

violence_hblood "1"

violence_ablood "1"

cl_show_bloodspray "1"

r_sse2 "1"

r_sse1 "1"

r_mmx "1"

How do i actually make them work?

As far as im aware you go to C:/....counterstrike/cfg

Then paste the commands into a notepad document, save it as 'autoexec.cfg' then it works?

Am I correct, or has my computer knowledge pwned me?

help would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm trying this stuff today as i'm writing.

so far, i felt like i was cheating at dust, then again i might have been lucky, but my frames went up 10-12 fps and it registers better. I'm trying to play around with these commands a little more thogh.

budget_show_history "0"

cl_ejectbrass "0"

mat_bumpmap "0"

mat_picmip "2"

mat_specular "0"

mp_decals "0"

r_decals "20"

muzzleflash_light "0"

r_avglight"0"

r_decals "0"

r_dispfullradius "2"

r_DispUseStaticMeshes "0"

cl_smooth "0"

fps_max "100"

cl_lagcomp_errorcheck "1"

cl_phys_props_enable "0"

cl_show_splashes "0"

cl_phys_props_max "0"

violence_agibs "1" 

violence_hgibs "1" 

violence_hblood "1" 

violence_ablood "1" 

cl_show_bloodspray "1"

r_sse2 "1"

r_sse1 "1"

r_mmx "1"

^^ My AUTOEXEC.CFG config.

basically i put in this into my autoexec with exception of (mat_picmip "2") i left it at 0.

My question is, my spray now either doesn't show at all or shows just for a second and disappears. Which command controls that?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I found this topic and thought it might help to put up some explanation about the variables we're trying to tweak here. Maybe understanding them makes it easier to find the most appropriate value for everybody.

Credits should go to www.nuclearfallout.net as I took this from their FAQ. (they are in general a server rental company... ...by far the best I have every dealt with).

Q: How can I optimize my client settings (cvars) so gameplay is as smooth as possible?

A: There are three main settings to look at on the client-side. These are rate, cl_updaterate, and cl_cmdrate.

rate determines the speed, in bytes per second, that your client allows itself and the server to interact at. This setting is needed because your client has no idea how fast your connection is, and it doesn't know how to find out. The rate setting tells it the maximum speed at which it can transfer data. If it is set too high, your connection may not be able to handle it, and you will get packetloss; if it is set too low, choke and latency will increase, possibly making your game stutter or lag. Half-life is generally able to compensate for choke fairly well, as long as there is not much of it; however, when choke gets too high (over 100), it has to start dropping packets (and we all know how bad packetloss is!). I recommend a rate of 8000 or 10000, since most broadband connections can easily handle it (try 10000 first).

cl_updaterate determines how many updates per second the client will accept when it is interacting with the server. A higher value can make gameplay more smooth, although it often makes your ping appear higher due to the added latencies on both ends from extra calculations involved. I recommend a cl_updaterate of 40, which I have found balances ping and smoothness fairly well. Feel free to try higher and lower values. A value too high can cause choke if your machine or your connection can't handle all the packets; a high value can also make your ping look much higher than it should be. Some people blindly set this variable to 101 -- that would be an example of a too-high value.

cl_cmdrate determines how many commands your client sends to the server per second (such as moving, turning, jumping). I usually recommend that users set their cl_cmdrate cvar to the same value as cl_updaterate, because they are so similar. Too-high or too-low values (like 101) may lead to the infamous "shots not registering" problem and high values can also cause high in-game pings.

© nuclearfallout.net:

Nuclearfallout-FAQ-Lag

• 1 month later...

Okay may not be right place but it will be the answer i cam looking for....New Card...Choices are 6800 or x850. These both would be AGP with 754 3.2 Please let me know what you all would do and why??

A couple different things, hopefully I remembered it all.

To get you started http://www.freewebs.com/clans4h/autoexec.htm has both my config that I use, and another config that a teammate uses. The larger one is for people who have extremely bad fps problems. Mine works for just about every decent-extreme computer.

Some things people were talking about, that I remember that I have comments to.

cl_interp 0 and cl_interpolate 0 : Many of you said that the game is too shaky to use. If that is true, and it was for me at one time, only change the cl_interpolate command back to 1. Leave the interp command at 0 at all times, unless you are in a .CSP locked server.

-dxlevel 80,81,90,95 : 95 is obviously the highest quality game. I use it on my comp, many people can't, it's all about what hardware you have and what clocking you do to the hardware. My reccomendation on this command is different from what some have said, which is that 81 is the best. Well that statement is half true. 80 is the lowest you should ever have to use, unless you have a 5 year old comp, then you shouldn't even play cs:s :D. Even I use 80 on train and inferno, just b/c those maps own your fps.

When you change your launch options to -dxlevel xx it resets all of your gfx commands to align with the dxlevel you are telling the game to run in. To fix all of your gfx from getting reset, you need to: put the -dxlevel xx (80,90,95) command in the launch options. Load the game, go to options -> video -> advanced -> hit save, ok, then exit the game. Go back into the launch options, and delete the -dxlevel xx command. Now when you reload the game, it saves the dxlevel to your system, and doesn't reset the game gfx everytime you load. aka resolution, model quality, shadows, etc.

Resolution 640,860,1024,1280+ : Pretty simple consept that many people forget about when talking about your fps. Basically the lower the resolution, the higher the fps will be. Now I know many people, inluding me, can't play in 860, or ever 640, but if you really need the frames, that is the resolution you need. 1024 is what I now use. 1280 is what I love to use, but it just eats your fps like a little gremlin. If you use anything above 1280, you need a super computer, or you just want to play w/ 5 fps all the time.

I remember a post about someone saying they have a 3500 64bit and a ati850xt. Why you get apprx. 50fps is because of that 850. Yeah, I know its the best AGP card, I have a 6600gt AGP card. We are in the same boat. The reason for the huge difference in fps is b/c of 1 simple thing. A.G.P. It holds back so much of the information b/c AGP can only shoot in 8 lines between itself and the motherboard. Pci-E is 16, and only getting faster. So when you said something about why you need to lower everything, that is why, hopefully I rememberd that question correctly.

If there is anything missed, that I forgot to comment on, leave a post and I'll try to help. I can usually figure out what is wrong with most computers. I've used just about every cfg and trick out there by now, so hopefully I can help you if you want the help.

Specs:

Abit NF7-S

AMD 3000+ 400FSB (non 64)

1Gig Corsair pc3200

Nvidia GeForce 6600Gt (AGP)

Normally on CS:S I get apprx 80FPS. But I like keeping my gfx high, so I could get more frame, but I'm content with 80. On some maps its 50(train, inferno, sometimes nuke), I usually change my dxlevel before-hand if I know I'm gonna play one of these maps. Aka, scrim or match.

And as I said, if you need any help, I'm willing to help out, either post here, or you can contact me on irc.gamesurge.net, #s4h, s4h-NorgmaN or XFire - RNorgman@excite.com

Oops I forgot about "rates".

It's also another simple concept just like Resolution. Anyone w/ Broadband/Cable+ should use rate 25000, cl_cmdrate 100/101, cl_updaterate cl_100/101. Now, say your getting mad choke, aka 20+, then you take your cl_updaterate, and lower it to 80/90. If its still high, lower it more. and if you lower under 50, then its just a poopty server. For people w/ dialup... Just leave your rates at 2500,30,20. Not much you can do if you still have dialup, other then get Cable.