Why no profanity?

Guest Illuminaughty

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching this for sometime now and I think everyone has gotten their main points on the table.

I usually take a "mouth shut, ears open" stance on most things but I'd like to waste a few minutes so here goes.

Empirically, we have a game server with a set of established (by choice) rules.

If this were a chess server/community, I don't think there would be quite as much controversy regarding the swearing (and not too many members), which leads into the violent nature of the game. It is interesting and entertaining.

Is swearing embedded within violence? Mostly, yes. Violent people typically swear. (most murderers, robbers, bouncers, fighters,etc do swear).

Is violence embedded within swearing? Mostly, no. People who swear are not always violent. (most 12 year olds are not violent).

The point? One attribute is not required in order to have the other. They may be found hand-in-hand in countless examples, but they are not both required for each to exist.

Is it ironic? Sure it is! But what's life without a little irony.

To those people unfamiliar with our swearing rule-- It is a rule established by our choice. If you chose to swear, that's fine. Go to the other 30,000+ servers out there. Ours is unique and doesn't allow it.

To the admins-- Our server is unique. It may be the 1000th time you've been questioned on why isn't swearing allowed on a violent game....but it may be the first time for the person asking. Our irritation in defending the rule comes out easily after you've done it so many times. Try to keep in mind that the person isn't familiar with all of the previous discussions.

Can we argue/debate/discuss the irony all day? Sure, but it's not productive, so why waste the time and energy? There are plenty of other things to waste your time on.

And I just realized how much time I wasted. :D

Hey, we can both play the same game. You say I don't like questioning of policies etc., I don't like the debate or whatever you said up there.

I just questioned your questioning. Honestly, how did I try to keep your mouth shut. All I did was question your motives. Here's my PM that seems too nutz:

wanna tell me why you're stretching so far if in fact you actually agree?

don't type crap just to type crap and stir up trouble...that's not showing support for anything..you're just looking for a fight i think

My opinion of your motives. Why can't you handle me having a different opinion on your opinion, or in fact your "fake" opinion just for the sake of it.

Isn't it dumb? If I wanted to shut you up, I would...all I wanted was to understand.

I blow no smoke at all, bud. I've nothing to hide. Hell, I just thought I'd give you a chance to blow your steam at me privately. I usually try not to call people out in public that I respect...but now you've taken the gloves off and you wanna go all the way....for reasons unknown.

You try to keep my mouth silent by making fun, name calling, and attempting to keep other people from replying to what I have said to them. You send PM's basically asking me to stop, and then egg me on over here.

Namecalling? Where did I call you a name?

Next part: I'm asking Strange to not toke the fire. It's part of my job. That's a serious stretch.

My PM is up there. Never did I ask you to stop, I just said not to stir up trouble for the sake of it...which is EXACTLY what you've done here.

Again, there's a flip side to your coin that you toss around. You say I can't handle the questioning. I saw you can't handle me calling you on some worthless mumbojumbo that you decided to hobby up one fine day.

Again, you continue to claim what is not. I tried to keep things cool...not silence you, play the victim another day. There's no big game, I don't shift around. I am who I am....your conspiracy theory is old, and boring.

Quite a disappointment.

Noble. You claim to have just stepped in because one person was getting "flogged." There was no flogging. Now you'll wear martyr as a tatoo on your forehead for what cause? Of all the people, from you I didn't expect this rage against the machine theme.

<fevereshly searches for that pic of Fatty looming over the village>

yes, find it please!!! who made it?

*wasn't that a homer creation?!

was it even on these forums?

I found references to it...it's not where homer had it before... :( if anyone knows of one of those internet archive sites or whatever, here's the old url: http://home.attbi.com/~kogut4/castle2.jpg

GC Board Member
(edited)

Ya know, I'm willing to bet a large number of us that skew to the older demographic are more than a little familiar with salty language.

In fact, I dare say my daily conversation is riddled with it - I use it amongst my friends, I use it in online IM'ing, and I even use when I'm teaching.

Why not here? The way I explain it on the UT servers is like this - it's the Community Orientated Policing / broken windows philosophy. See a broke window, don't wait for the break-ins, car thefts, and other crimes to appear - close it down now - fewer problems all around.

Same thing with in-game names and no swearing. Questionable names lead to irrelevant in-game chats and name calling. Hey look, someone who is 14 years old and has learned some new words. Great - just what I want to see spammed every 2 minutes...

By locking most of it down, none of these problems ever come up. Play is much better, no worries all around. A bit up-tight for my age demographic? Definately, but I'll take it knowing I always have a place to play without some (johnson-related brain container) TKing, goofing off, or generally being a complete nuisence.

I chose to hook up with GC simply because of that - good play, solid servers. Do the in-game language filters catch me on occasion, oh h yeah - and I laugh - but I'll take it anyday for the good play.

-Fk

PS: Hey, I just evaded the language filters on purpose - someone should warn me!

Edited by Flitterkill

I just questioned your questioning. Honestly, how did I try to keep your mouth shut. All I did was question your motives. Here's my PM that seems too nutz:

My opinion of your motives. Why can't you handle me having a different opinion on your opinion, or in fact your "fake" opinion just for the sake of it.

I can certainly handle the opinion on my opinion. Your fist PM was taken as such an inquiry. I replied basically asking you if you were requesting that I stop. Here is my PM:

I agree that I do not want to hear someone scream the f bomb in my ear. I do not agree with the rational placed by some of the posters.

Your suggestion is also disconcerting. Why is it if someone challenges a point of view it is making trouble? Have I been less then respectful with my replies? Have I made any attacks on GC or the server? No.

As to your last point, and likely the reason of this pm, I am not looking for a fight. I think I have made the reasons clear. If you are asking me to stop, I will. But first, I would like for you to think of why you are finding so much fault in challanging a point of view. Especially when my responces have not been in an ill manner.

I have added emphasis here because I did ask you what you were sending my pm's for. Your reply never clearified your stance.

Isn't it dumb? If I wanted to shut you up, I would...all I wanted was to understand.

I thought it was dumb about 3 posts ago.

I blow no smoke at all, bud. I've nothing to hide. Hell, I just thought I'd give you a chance to blow your steam at me privately. I usually try not to call people out in public that I respect...but now you've taken the gloves off and you wanna go all the way....for reasons unknown.

I don't have a beef here. I don't have any steam to blow at you, or anyone else. Now, or even in the past (excluding my mistake with the admin thing).

Namecalling? Where did I call you a name?

Again...<clap clap>

So, in a word, you're playing public defendent.

Strange, don't feed this, please. I'm tempted to close it due to it's rediculous nature...a guy who on one hand says he supports, wants to join, etc...but then for some reason decides to play debate for no reason at all other than to argue. Useless.

By itself, it isn't bad. Using the sarcasm meater on it... it amounts to name calling, or teasing.

Next part: I'm asking Strange to not toke the fire. It's part of my job. That's a serious stretch.

I felt it was a peaceful conversation. I also think Strange can speak for himself. I was interested in hearing his perspective on allowing his children to play this game. Keeping him silent ends the discussion, and keeps me silent as well.

My PM is up there. Never did I ask you to stop, I just said not to stir up trouble for the sake of it...which is EXACTLY what you've done here.

You are correct. It wasn't my attempt to do so. This topic is constantly brought up. I figured we could end it now. Instead, it changed to something else.

Again, there's a flip side to your coin that you toss around. You say I can't handle the questioning. I saw you can't handle me calling you on some worthless mumbojumbo that you decided to hobby up one fine day.

Yeah, I just don't get that. There are two sides to every story. Most of the time the truth is between them.

Again, you continue to claim what is not. I tried to keep things cool...not silence you, play the victim another day. There's no big game, I don't shift around. I am who I am....your conspiracy theory is old, and boring.

There is no victum here.

Quite a disappointment.

As am I.

Noble. You claim to have just stepped in because one person was getting "flogged." There was no flogging. Now you'll wear martyr as a tatoo on your forehead for what cause? Of all the people, from you I didn't expect this rage against the machine theme.

I stepped in because there was silence for the other side. This topic is always brought up. My attempt was to show the other side, and reach a reasonable rationale between the irony that does exist.

I am not raging against anything. I thought it was distasteful to pm me, and then egg me on. After my post to end the topic, you continued.... and I received your second PM.

But, lets make one thing clear, I am not ragging, I have my gloves firmly placed, and I habor no ill will for anyone.

Quite a disappointment.

As am I.

oof. Slow it down, now.

After my post to end the topic, you continued.... and I received your second PM.

Anyways, how many times did I PM you...you say twice? I recall once. Twice was just now. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If you're really going to whip into some glorified born-to-lose defense of some opinion you don't agree with anyways (your words, not mine) then you probably should at least stick to the facts.

So much misrepresentation going on it's silly. You bold the fact that you offered to stop if I so desired, but in the next breath claim that I'm strong-arming you to end your posting. You tell me I'm name calling, but then can offer no place where I've called you a name. You claim that I should do other than defend our policy strongly and seem opressed by the fact that I would speak out against you...but when I stand firm and toss questions back at you it's some sort of power move?

I do have to hand it to you, though. You sucked me in on this one...you were looking for a debate, and you got it, although I still am not sure of your overall objective or point.

------

So a guy orders a Big Mac, Large Fry, and a Diet Coke. How silly is that? Heck, that's on the verge of stupid. It just makes no sense. Who would order a Big Mac, a Large Fry, and then drink a Diet Coke with it??? The Big Mac is horrible for you, it's gonna clog your veins eventually! You might as well make it a normal Coke! Why good can it possibly do for you to drink a Diet Coke when you're eating a Big Mac and a large fry?!?!

I say more power to him. The Diet Coke tastes like crap, but it's a step in the right direction. Besides, you can drink a regular Coke with your Big Mac and this person will never say a word to you, so why do we care so much if he drinks a Diet Coke or not? Why do we care? Order the food you want, from where you want.

----

All I want to say is - these rules have been in place since our servers went live. Have been, always WILL be. No point in arguing as to WHY there is no swearing - since it is CLEARLY stated in our rules.

Basically - asking why you can't swear is like asking why you can't go around naked in public. Its offensive to some, but not ALL. We figure that less people would be offended by NO swearing than by allowing swearing - therefore we are looking out for the greater good I would like to think.

Personal opinion - don't bother trying to convince me or many people that make these rules - because we make them for a reason. We want to promote a fun gaming environment - and hearing people swearing all day and night just isn't fun. You know it too.

Gunman (Tehbantha)

Well, I am not going to do this quote thing again... I keep messing it up.

Slow what down? You can claim disappointment, but I can not? Again, a form of intimidation and attempt to control a conversation.

You have pm'd me three times regarding this topic. You second pm came before this last one. Here it is:

if you're going to debate, admit it. IN your last post you even said you're not debating. what the hell do you call it then?

you also made a false assumption when quoting me, as if dodge the point. i think you're going so fast that not only are you messing up your tags but you're not being accurate with your responses

I asked if you wanted me to stop. I was in the opinion your pm was for that. I fail to see the reason for sending the pm otherwise. I made it clear in the fist post why I was posting. Your pm sent a message to me that you disapprove, but wanted to keep things quiet.

I did offer you a place where you called me a name. Maybe it was lost in my quoting error. It is there though. I can't blame you for missing it. I will state it again, you made a remark about me being a 'public defender.' It was a patronizing remark, and a form of name calling.

Your power move is in how you went about it. I don't care that you have an opinion against my own. I deal with that every day. Two pm's were sent, the first sounding like a request to remain silent. Then you patronize, request (one) other to not reply, threaten to close this thread, and finally act like the guy standing before his friends to make a mockery of another "here is a guy that wants to join... but acts this way..." That isn't to say I am upset, so don't say I trying to be a martyr. I never said that I was suffering. My example is only to show you how/when you take a strong arm act in forcing your point of view. I don't fault you for it, you have to do what you think you need to. I just don't like it when it is used on me.

Also, I never sucked you into this discussion. Your post after mine you made a request to be involved. You are here by your own choosing. Don't blame me for it.

I have given my point many times. However, at this point we are outside of the topic and address each other. This is what I find foolish. I guess it is the snow ball analogy.

Your big mac analogy isn't suitable either. Your suggestion is that the person is trying to improve. I take this that the person would eventually no longer go to McD's. If that was the case, a person would go to your server, and eventually stop playing CS.

The Big Mac is the game. The Coke is the swearing. We're Diet Coke (no swearing). As silly or as abnormal as one might think that Big Macs and Diet Cokes don't go together, it's alive and thriving here, and we've got lots of Big Mac eating / diet drinking gamers around here.

It's a suitable analogy, you just didn't understand what I meant. It's not about the person, it's about the combination in the meal. It's about the choice of one consumer and the pointlessness of whether or not the next consumer endorses it. It sells itself.

Now, we just have to figure out what the fries are.

PS. I stand corrected on the number of PMs. Also, I wasn't blaming you for sucking me in as if you were doing some evil deed...you said your self you took the side of the one..did you really expect to post and then the topic would go away? Anyone who wishes to debate such as yourself requires someone to debate with. I was simply stating that you caught me. I'm really not trying to talk in riddles here.

PSS. You'll never find me calling someone a public defendent as an insult? Isn't that what you're doing / did? One man stood in front of the crowd alone, in front of the judges, and you began to represent his side w/o even agreeing with him. Isn't that a PD's job?

Slow what down? You can claim disappointment, but I can not? Again, a form of intimidation and attempt to control a conversation.

Sorry, lost you again there. Look at the verbage closer. It was a playful poke.

Quite a disappointment.

As am I.

The Big Mac is the game.  The Coke is the swearing.  We're Diet Coke (no swearing).  As silly or as abnormal as one might think that Big Macs and Diet Cokes don't go together, it's alive and thriving here, and we've got lots of Big Mac eating / diet drinking gamers around here. 

It's a suitable analogy, you just didn't understand what I meant.  It's not about the person, it's about the combination in the meal.  It's about the choice of one consumer and the pointlessness of whether or not the next consumer endorses it.  It sells itself.

Now, we just have to figure out what the fries are.

I will be the fries... I like them better anyway. Also, I don't see your logic. I guess we can agree to disagree.

you said your self you took the side of the one..did you really expect to post and then the topic would go away?  Anyone who wishes to debate such as yourself requires someone to debate with.  I was simply stating that you caught me.  I'm really not trying to talk in riddles here.

Correct, I did. My attempt was to discuss this and reach a conclusion. It was never to mock GC, or you. It wasn't to attack/defend against ad hominem replies.

PSS.  You'll never find me calling someone a public defendent as an insult?  Isn't that what you're doing / did?  One man stood in front of the crowd alone, in front of the judges, and you began to represent his side w/o even agreeing with him.  Isn't that a PD's job?

I am in medicine at this point in time. I am currently in law school (while working full time). My suggestion isn't the word is offensive, it is the manner in which you placed it.

ps. QUOTES WORK!

I fear we will never arrive at the point... so here goes:

What I was attempting to prove/show, is that there really are only two reasons for not allowing cussing on your servers.

1. You do not want to hear it.

2. You make the rules.

I can debate just about every other reason. So, in conclusion, the next time this comes up, all you have to do is reply with those two reasons. There was (or was suppose to be) a debate on it, so no need to debate it again.

Eh.... we never got there.

I will be the fries... I like them better anyway. Also, I don't see your logic. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Not being able to see the logic isn't grounds for disagreeing. Big Mac + Diet Coke just doesn't make much sense. It's not normal, it's not usual. You don't see it very often, and if you did, you'd wonder what the person was thinking.

Gaming + clean language is not normal. It's not usual. You don't see it very often. However, nobody is asking anyone else to partake, and there's really no grounds for ever having to explain it actually.

Here we go, all the way to the very origin of the question.

Pubmaster: I don't get it. Game with killing but you can't swear?

So, this guy already knows the rules. Do you think this person really wants an answer? Really cares about the answer? Are they really inquiring as to attain some meditative peace within themselves through our explanation? NO! All they really want to say is that they disagree with the rule because to them it makes no sense. They are in no way looking for enlightenment, and you won't convince me that they came here believing that they just might get the rules of the server changed. All they're doing is complaining.

That's like (and I've used this one before!) you (and I'm really not talking to you, Duma, any more than the general public at this point) coming over for a party and telling me you don't like how my wife has the furniture arranged, or the color of my paint, or where I placed my shrubery (with the two-level effect). How do I respond to that? Thank you sir, but this is my house? Thanks for your input, let's have a beer while you share with me how I can improve my landscaping?

Naw, it's just complaining.

It happens with Friendly Fire as well:

Pubmaster 2: Turn FF Off!

Admins: :rolleyes:

Regs: :twitch:

Clueless: :unsure:

Pubmaster 2: :bang: Turn FF Off!

Admins: :nono:

Regs: :boing: Slay! Slay! Slay! Abuse him!

ok, here we go, my 2 cents! i laughed hard at this thread when i first read it. it is probably the dumbest thing i have read so far here at www.gamerscoalition.com. when you join the server it says the server rules, if you check the forums or web site it says the server rules. if you have any argument what so ever about what the rules are then your fighting an up hill battle, lost cause what ever you wanna call it! who cares if the box says mature - 17 what does that have to do with GC server rules??? what does killing (animated or real) have to do with GC rules??? what does raising your kids have to do with GC rules??? i cuss a lot..... a whole lot! but not here. why, because what do i have to prove, that i'm a tough guy, that my parents told me not to as a kid and now i'm defying that because i can.....no.....why? because cussing shows ignorance (it being a lack of vocabulary or trying to be a tough guy) and GC does not deal with ignorance. plain and simple! i really can not phathom why this topic was given so much attention.

DO NOT CUSS HERE. it's that simple. i payed my GC dues,did you? if not then who are you to question anything that happens here??????

if this is still a problem (i feel the adminastrative staff will agree) go some where else!! there are better things to do then anwser stupid questions about why you can't be a tough guy on our server

just my 2 cents

If this guy seriously wants to argue this point to this extent, why doesn't he form his own messageboard dedicated to this topic?

The rules are set by the ones who have put their precious coinage into the servers that you chose to play on. Respect the them. Respect the rules. Obviously a lot of people do as per the full server everyday. If they chose to make everyone play by walking backwards only, they have the right to do that. And if they wanted to ban you for using the forward key, they could. Would people play on that server? Probably not. But obviously the no profanity rule is working. End of story.

Personally, I believe people that can't take the time to understand the rules that pop up when you join the server should be banned on the spot. But I am one of those instant satisfaction type of people. I had to use a lot of self restraint in the days that I had admin on Mmmm servers. :freak: Bob_Lee was my hero! (Miss ya bud!)

Follow the rules or show yourself the exit. Don't curse or don't play here. Simple as that.

I had to use a lot of self restraint in the days that I had admin on Mmmm servers.  :freak:  Bob_Lee was my hero!  (Miss ya bud!)

LOL its funny, Gond the other night in the DOH server banned a few people for cussing and i believe he said "im gonna go Bob Lee on these guys" befor he did.. :) I dont think we will ever see lightning quick bans like Bob's ever again.. Fatty enjoys it alot, but Bob Lee was the master.. I still want to see a sign like McDonalds saying how many are banned...

Oh and about 3-4 yrs ago, i made a non-sexual refrence to my wife waiting for me in bed.. Fatty kicked me, no ban but Gond had to explain to me about the language thing and at the time i believe he told me it was cause the Mmmm guys are religious.. I figured well they cant be bad guys then.. :) But for the last 4 yrs Mmmm's servers have been a safe haven for me, im raising 3 kids and its SO nice not haveing to stop playing when my kids enter the room..

The language rule has been around forever, love it - live it.. Thanks Mmmm for giving me a family friendly place to play..

more cowbell !

I haven't been around as long as some, but been around longer then most and this has always been the standard. If you want immaturity and dirty language go join one of the trillion normal communities out there. This is a big factor that seperate's Gamer's Coalition from the rest. This standard has been around long before GC, going back to the [Mmmm] days and beyond. For those that weren't even around then you have obviously come here knowing the policy, and accepted it. So why challenge it, when if all you want to be able to do is swear, you can go anywhere. Except here of course.

Listen to all these old timer's speaking up, the standard isn't going anywhere. If you keep arguing and insiting this, you might be. ;)

Bob_Lee would ban you if you got in his way. It's ironic that his name comes up, because when Bob would ban, I would instantly be forced into public defense. If you guys recall, it didn't matter if you were a regular or not....if you were 2:1, you cheated. Daily Aim messages: Hi Fatty, Bob banned me. Bob would get so hilariously fired up to! "If you unban him, I'm out of here!!!" Ok, bob!

RIP, Bob.

bob4.gif