The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy

Zeabos

I LOVED the book series. And have been eagly awaiting the movie since the very first Teaser trailer came out last year.

Now two new trailers are available!

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/main.html

Wait for the flash one to load

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/index.html

Click the Linh under News for 28 February 2005 - Check Out The Online Exclusive Trailer.

Say Hello to the most elite fighting force ever.

gallery4.jpg

From Left: Ford Prefect, Author Dent, Zaphon Beeblebrox

I love the towel action on Ford.

May 6th

:o:boing::thumbsup:

Oh man, I have read all 5 books (as well as the short "Young Zaphod plays it safe) several times. I shed a tear when Douglas Adams passed on.

Everyone should read these books as well as Adams' Dirk Gently Holistic Detective books.

To get over the problem of Zaphod having two heads(yeah it was a typo, I have the Ultimate Hitchhickers Collection at home) they made it so his top Head Flips back and the second one is under it. The beard of his first head is the Hair of his second head.

He also does have his Third arm, but it comes from the center of his body, so i think he keeps it tucked under his Jacket most of the time.

Watch the trailors, youll see Zaphod switch heads a couple of times.

thanks for posting that zeabos. ive been waiting so long for these movies to come out.

i agree with dweez, check out dirk gently series too. he also made an educational CD-Rom on endangered animals which is also very entertaining. there is a place to download it for free, if only i could remember where.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

So who's been blessed with the opportunity to see the film?

Normally, I have issues with things not following cannon. Normally, the production house will take something, husk out all of the spirit of the original concept, turn it into a commodity and turn a couple of bucks, before people realize that it's yet another crappy bubble-gum violation of the senses.

That's the general rule. Of course, they couldn't have made a Hitchhiker movie that was cannon - it'd be 9 hours, and would have so much non-relevant exposition that even following character emotion would be difficult. Dialogue was trimmed, and some omitted. Many scenes and narrative asides were dropped or modified. There was some allusion to in-jokes which weren't supposed to happen for another book or two... ...But what stayed absolutely true was the spirit of the book. Not once did I feel like there was a genuine disservice done to the book. The pacing, the acting, the bouncy scene cuts and vibrant colours... Everything was beautifully rendered.

My two biggest gripes during the movie were that Marvin was cute, and Alan Rickman wasn't monotone, nor melancholie enough. ...His delivery was fantastic, and that was my biggest gripe.

By the by, there was a cameo of the original Marvin robot, from the BBS minisiries. I wept tears of joy.

Go see it, go see it now.

Edited by Norguard

Well I saw this last night. I read the books as a kid and again a few years ago and still like them. The movie kinda sucked for me though. It was very slow and pretty cheesy. The acting kinda sucked from Mos Def and overall I found it quite slow, I was ready to leave and go to bed about 3/4 through the flick.

We gave it a 70/100

Ish, I at first didn't think I'd like that either...but I read an article that talks about those changes being Douglas Adam's changes himself. With every incarnation of the book (the radio show, the book, the BBC miniseries) he himself changed pieces here and there to make it new and different. His screenplay is what put the "more romantic" changes in....so basically, if you don't like it, then you disagree with the author's own views on it.

I've heard the serials on cassette (many, many times), read the books, seen the miniseries, and none of them were ever the same.

Adams was actually credited as the screenwrite, it wasn't his book that was accredited.

The story has been cut and altered to fit the medium. If not, it'd be 9 hours long, and feature so much expounding upon things which weren't even important to the plot - for 10 minutes at a time - not that I'd have a problem with that.

So yes, the movie had to be truncated a little, made a little cheesier (wait... ...is this possible, anyway) and a little more silver-screen friendly. But it was Adams himself who did the lion's share of the work. He wasn't onboard for the filming, obviously, but I think he would have agreed with what was put on celluloid.

Oh, and if you're worried about hammish acting, you should really go back and listen to the BBC radio serials again. Wow.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the movie. As someone mentioned before, I rarely get upset if a movie changes a lot of the plot from the book. What is important to me is the feel of the characters and the essence of the story. I think this movie did a really great job with both. Part of what made this movie so entertaining is what I have been so upset with the recent Star Wars movies for lacking. Instead of CGI this and that, this movie embraced costume and puppet created alien life. Lucas has forgotten the soul a great puppet and costume staff can put into a fancifull lifeform. I found the aliens in Hitchhiker's far more engaging and believable than anything created by computer.

Oh yeah, Sam Rockwell absolutely rocks as Zaphod!

I liked it a lot too.

Not having read the book, but hearing it on tape about 5 years ago on a trip to Florida (missing half of it because I was sleeping) one of the only things I remembered was the beginning with the house being bulldozed and the babelfish.

I like the little animated cinematics that explain everything, and I enjoyed Alan Rickman as Marvin. Zaphod in the movie is more charismatic than Zaphod in the book, however, but you're always going to run into deviances from book to movie, et cetera.