6600GT or 9800XT

I read the Tom's site listing and from all appearances the only thing better about the 9800 is the additional 128mb - other than that the 6600GT128 beats it out. Is there something I am missing since the 9800XT is priced so much higher usually?

well, by the benches, the 9800xt does a Little bit better in higher res's. You run in the 1600X catagory?

Otherwise, if theres a big price diff, Id go with 6600gt. I wouldnt drop a big wad for 15 more frames at 1600x1200

(edited)

Preacher has a pretty good eye for stuff like this! Check out his post on a

refurbished X800 all in wonder here

Or he has a post for 9600XT Here!

Or check out Skarface's & preachers post here! (sapphire X800)

If I lived in the U.S. I would have tried one of these, but Newegg does not

ship to Canada so if I had a problem it would have been a nightmare! Look at

it this way, if you spend the $200-$300 dollars & get a X800 equivilant for

a couple of years your way ahead of the ball game! By then your going to have to

upgrade again anyway.

Edited by wayfarer

(edited)

Also, Those are just a few, if you surf through hardware,software,casualware

you'll find a lot more of the same. There's gotta be at least a couple that

pop's up every week! Soul what are you looking for AGP or PCI-E?

Post up & let us know, everyone I talked to was totally happy with both

cards, although I've noticed a lot more with 9800 xt

Edited by wayfarer

AGP - I am sick of my 5600xt so just looking to upgrade to something better but not a lot of money.

I can get a 6600GT 128mb for $140 from Tigerdirect or a 9800xt on ebay for about the same. I usually run everything at 1280.

If you play source make sure you talk to ppl that have both cards about FPS.

I bought a 6800gt (256 DDR 3, 256 bit) thinking it'd be great for source. Could've gotten an x800 pro for about the same price at the time (last fall). I'm wishing I would've gotten the ATI. :(

I get about 60 or so FPS in CS:S on average, but I drop to as low as 20 in firefights. I believe people with the 9800 can hold above me in source. But confirm this before you buy.

Also you may want to consider this, I've heard from several reliable sources that you can buy 9800 pro cards and flash them to 9800XT's with out any problems. IT's the same hardware basically but they just load a diff bios on by default.

I've heard a lot people saying 9800xt & x800 are awsome for CSS

Also if you look at the benchmarks, nvidia & ati are neck & neck in most areas

except the Half-Life 2 engine (CS S) Here ATI clearly dominates on all levels.

I recently purchased X 850 XT & my FPS RARELY dips below 80. Absolutely

awsome card! I would say worth every penny, but I think X 800 is almost

as good for about $150.00 less, based solely on what people are saying.

This much I have to say Soul, If you have even the slightest thought of spending

a little more for a next - gen. card, look very closely at the X 800. By all

accounts it's a fantastic card!

Well, I just did a quick search on newegg and there's a

Saphire x800 with 256 GDDR3 (agp 8x) for about $250 or

Saphire x800 pro with 256 GDDR3 (agp 8x) for about $290

That's robably what I'd be looking at.

As for selling my card... Well I paid $402 for it when I bought it last November. Right now it looks like my card is going for about $309 on newegg (retail). Talk about a price drop :(

Thats the whole reason I went with the 6600gt. Im stil running agp (4x actually), so it made no sense to spend that much on a card and then limit it so badly. If you plan on upgrading sometime fairly soon ( like a year) I wouldnt spend the xtra money for a big agp. In a year, pci-e will be the standard and the vid cards will be scary.

4x agp vs. 8x AGP makes no difference, no card uses the extra bandwidth, but if your mobo is 4x AGP, then your probably limited by your CPU.

yea Ice that is a huge loss in a short notice. You must have bought it when it recently came out. I bought my card for 200 bucks, 2 1/2 years ago, It still sells for 70 bucks new.

When buying your card, look for the best price/performance ratio soul.

• 4 weeks later...

I Suggest that you guys dont trade ya 6600/6800's for ATI's X800's because the 6 series do beat the ATI's X series...... if you have PCI - E then go for Nvidia.... dont buy the 6600GT on AGP as some ppl have had problems with it bieng on that slot.

All i can say is that i get 85FPS+ in CS:S (with x8AA on) with my rig:

AMD64 3000+ S939

1GB DDR400 Memory

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

128MB Leadtek Winfast PX6600GT TDH Extreme (sellers/benchmarks said that this is the best 6600GT around.)

About HDR.....

The ATI X800 + are the only cards that can support HDR...but its not true HDR and you guys with these cards will seriously get lagged out.... only the Nvidia 6 & 7 series have true HDR capibillities.

you guys all have to wait for the R520 card (fudo)

ATI cards dont have SM3.0 either lol :D

CS:S will get HDR when Aftermath is released... i think :boing::boing::boing:

• 2 weeks later...
I Suggest that you guys dont trade ya 6600/6800's for ATI's X800's because the 6 series do beat the ATI's X series...... if you have PCI - E then go for Nvidia.... dont buy the 6600GT on AGP as some ppl have had problems with it bieng on that slot.

All i can say is that i get 85FPS+ in CS:S (with x8AA on) with my rig:

AMD64 3000+ S939

1GB DDR400 Memory

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

128MB Leadtek Winfast PX6600GT TDH Extreme (sellers/benchmarks said that this is the best 6600GT around.)

I can confirm tm*'s results. I have the same setup, and have never had any problems in source with framerates, whether in cs:s, or hl2. It's always smooth, although sometimes I do wish I could blame my horrible playing on framerates, it's just my lack of skill betraying me. :lol2:

Well, looks like I have to correct myself. I formatted last weekend finally and saw a significant performance gain with my fps and quality in CS:S!

It seems I either had something setup wrong or something slowing it down in my OS on the previous format, or the fact that I had my old ATI card in before this one (bought it after building my comp so had to get by with the old car fora while) and then didn't format when I put my GF6800ft in caused problems.

From what I've read and heard, the fact that I switched brands without formatting was a likely cause of my fps loss.

Short form of all this is:

I'm getting between 60 and 100 fps in CS:S and the quality is sweet. I would recommend you look non eVGA cards though.

My system is:

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3200+

Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro mobo

2x512 MB DDR 400 (corsair)

eVGA.com GF 6800gt 256 mb GDDR3 (256bit)

i have the XFX 6600GT and it runs CSS sweet with all the bells and whistles turned up. i paid $149 for it at the time. sells for $145 from monarch rigt now. mine is the AGP not PCIE. the XFX cards come with faster settings from the factory i think the BFG version does too.

Ice, I would go with the x800 XL in AGP flavor because it has more pipelines than the x800 pro (16 pipes vs the 12 in the x800 pro).

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=320843

its only 265 from zipzoomfly.com and they work very well. Here are some reviews.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/177/8/

As for you soul, I would go with the 6600GT, they perform better in most games than the 9800xt.

Edited by avengence