CPU Prices

NOFX

(edited)

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ThirdCategor...tegoryCode=0104

is it me or are CPU's just get more and more expensive, while the older ones stay the same price? I mean look at the Athlon XP 2800+, it is 96 bucks. 3 years ago you could buy a 2500+ Overclock it to a 3200+ on stock cooling for 75 bucks.

And the P4s.....2.8 is $175 and I paid 175 for my 2.6, 3 years ago also...

Dang 3 years used to mean HUUUGE leaps in CPU performance. Now I dont even feel like its worth the money to upgrade, especially when prices just go up and never down.

Edited by NOFX

(edited)

I personally think that you shouldn't upgrade untill you decide to go full. The whole .2 .4 .6 .8 just is not worth the money they want when you don't see any significant difference. I like to look at the FSB anymore I think Pentiums are falling short even with the new 500 and 600 series. My opinion, go from 2.0 to 3.0 to 4.0 and so on. FSB should start at 800 anymore with all the new games and software out there.

Edited by Primus

true, but what Im saying is that I could use to do a significant upgrade for the same price as I did my upgrade 1.5/2 years ago. Now if I want to do a full upgrade its like 3x times as much

I look at cpu/mem prices about everyday memory prices move so much its crazy. If you track the weather in Taiwan whenever there is a huricane the mem prices go up its wild.. But your right NOFX my XP2500 chip costs only like 10 cheaper than when I got it 3 yrs ago.. The only thing I can think of is that im still using it playing new games, so its held its value..

yea, I guess the software hasnt caught up with the hardware yet, therefore old CPU's are still valuable. I remeber buying a 256 stick of DDR for 35 bucks back in 2001. After that it was like 50 bucks up until this year...

It's plain & simple! Not everyone has computers fine tuned for gaming.

For most people the lower end CPU's are fast enough for what they need,

they're not in the "arms race" that the hardcore gamer finds himself in. At

one time it was a gamers market because things were becoming obsolete

so quickly. It seems it is becoming a mass consumers market now because

the majority of people don't need their computers to be high performance.

Unfortunately if this trend continues it will mean higher & higher prices for

hardcore gamers because they will be put into a group of their own. Look

at SLI & Crossfire. These were not developed for the average consumer.

And look at they're pricetags! Just like cars....do you want a 4 door family

vehicle or a ferrari? :shrug03:

i dunno about you guys but i've sure noticed a perf difference in cpus. yea they've slowed down but that's only cause they have to. dual core out now. xp runs fine on most computers since p3 so most ppl don't need to upgrade. games are really the only thing pushing modern cpus and my games push it pretty good. my a64 is leaps and bounds above my old xp chip.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ThirdCategor...tegoryCode=0104

is it me or are CPU's just get more and more expensive, while the older ones stay the same price?  I mean look at the Athlon XP 2800+, it is 96 bucks.  3 years ago you could buy a 2500+ Overclock it to a 3200+ on stock cooling for 75 bucks. 

And the P4s.....2.8 is $175 and I paid 175 for my 2.6, 3 years ago also...

Dang 3 years used to mean HUUUGE leaps in CPU performance.  Now I dont even feel like its worth the money to upgrade, especially when prices just go up and never down.

Dont know for sure but I think the reason the older ones seem to hold on to their prices longer is because of guys like us. We tend to wait a little while for the good cpus to go down in price before we buy. We're considered the upgrade market. I get a lot of people in my shop who, instead of upgrading what they have, ask me to build them a whole new machine or ask me whats the best Dell to get. I agree totally. :D

I have read many places to expect higher prices on new electronics across the board. Why?

Because our government said so!

News article from CNet on eliminating lead-tin solder. Not sure how much this would increase the price of electronics, but I have heard anywhere from trivial amounts to extremes. Just wait until enviromentalists decide that half the everyday things we use either: A)Have the potential to cause cancer, or B) Have the potential to eventually harm the earth given XYZ circumstances. Some day they will realize one of the biggest "pollutants of them all" and volcanoes will be outlawed. o0o

LOL When WarCraft 2 came out me and Gond worked at the same company, and a guy at lunch bought a 32 meg stick for $430.00!!!!  From that old old store Eggheads..

lol, eggheads! man, those were the days...

who will ever need a PSU > an AT 250w?

<strolls down memory lane>

LOL I bought a math co-processor for my 486sx at Eggheads.. I dont know why I didnt buy the 486dx setup.. The math co-processor was like $80 bucks, and didnt really help my games..

LOL When WarCraft 2 came out me and Gond worked at the same company, and a guy at lunch bought a 32 meg stick for $430.00!!!!  From that old old store Eggheads..

lol, eggheads! man, those were the days...

who will ever need a PSU > an AT 250w?

<strolls down memory lane>

LOL I bought a math co-processor for my 486sx at Eggheads.. I dont know why I didnt buy the 486dx setup.. The math co-processor was like $80 bucks, and didnt really help my games..

Yea when I first used the blazin fast 386, I thought it was the s@#$!

My father turned me into a computer nerd at a very early age.

I used to play on these old school TI's, then I remeber him buying a 286, then a 386, then a 486 and so on...and I would get all the hand me downs, until I realized if I wanted a computer that was half decent I needed something better than a few years old.

Imagine being 10-11 years old and getting a 486SX 33Mhz for your birthday, to upgrade from that 386 that he stuck in my room before.

I started on the Commadore 64 baby; playing games like Impossible Mission, Ultima 3 and the ever popular Bards Tale. I still miss my 5 3/4 Floppyy Collection lol

Did you have the 2 games everyone had on there C=64? Jumpman and Archon Chess????

I started on a Commodore P.E.T. and then a Commodore Vic-20, then the C=64..

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I have read many places to expect higher prices on new electronics across the board.  Why?

News article from CNet on eliminating lead-tin solder.  Not sure how much this would increase the price of electronics, but I have heard anywhere from trivial amounts to extremes.  Just wait until enviromentalists decide that half the everyday things we use either: A)Have the potential to cause cancer, or B) Have the potential to eventually harm the earth given XYZ circumstances.  Some day they will realize one of the biggest "pollutants of them all" and volcanoes will be outlawed.  o0o

Yes, it will probably be too late before people realize that it is the environmentalists that cost us more than anything.

As for the old days of computer gaming. My first was the TRS-80 way back around 1988 or so. I was in the 4th and 5th grade. A frind of mine and I would stay after school to play Star Trek on it.

Then we moved on to the Tandy 1000 and "King's Quest" and "Police Quest".

I have read many places to expect higher prices on new electronics across the board.  Why?

News article from CNet on eliminating lead-tin solder.  Not sure how much this would increase the price of electronics, but I have heard anywhere from trivial amounts to extremes.  Just wait until enviromentalists decide that half the everyday things we use either: A)Have the potential to cause cancer, or B) Have the potential to eventually harm the earth given XYZ circumstances.  Some day they will realize one of the biggest "pollutants of them all" and volcanoes will be outlawed.  o0o

This is what we call ROHS Compliance and its a pain in the patoote for anyone who makes any highly manufactured items. What does it do...plain an simply, it makes it more difficult for Western Hemisphere companies to ship products to Europe. Is it all about environmental stuff? No, not by a longshot. It's all about keeping the European market in Europe. Make th USA's stuff so hard to manufacture and ship overseas for higher prices and people in Europe will just buy European cause it's cheaper and will strengthen their own market.

Its just short of an issolationistic type of mentality, and its going to hurt the world economny in the longrun. Good thing the US is a buyers market...most manufacturers are already well underway for the conversion.

This is not about CPU's it's about graphics cards. It has the exact same point

a couple people here & myself were trying to get at. There was a similar article

on CPU's, I'm positive, but I could'nt find it. This is still a fantastic article.

You can bet prices in our category are going to go up as we get bottlenecked

into our "grouping" price range. Unfotunate for some of the younger players

who are in school/ fresh careers.

How much graphics power does a PC really need?