xbox360

Gunman

Its a real shame that the older XboX games wont work on the 360, kinda funny that they dropped Nvidia and picked up ATI for this machine.. From what ive heard to make the games backwards compatable they would have to pay Nvidia..

The real question is: standard package or the premium?

I'm staying away from the X360...I'm a diehard PS2 fan, so I'll be opting for the PS3. I also find the ability to be fully backwards compatible out of the gate, with HD outputs standard, fo rthe same price as the 360 AND have a huge number of game vendors lined up to pump out quality games.

Edited by Brillow_Head

I follow Brillow's line of thinking: If I get a console, it would be PS3. It better be an awesome machine.

The other main reason why I won't get the 360 involves price (probably why I won't have a PS3 either). Whatever they can do to that machine and sell it for $500 (did I get that price right?), I can do just as well by pumping $500 into my computer. Plus, there's the added advantage that component costs go down over time, and the computer is modular, so with patience (depending on what games I want to play and at what resolution / detail settings) if my computer is satisfactory now I can spread my $500 upgrade out over time and get even more bang for my buck.

Ooh, another significant reason I forgot is I hate analog joysticks. I am a mouse-and-keyboard man. The analog joystick is very frustrating to me, and since I don't spend a whole lot of time gaming I like sticking with interfaces I am familiar with, and most (to be fair, not all) of those revolve around a keyboard and mouse.

However, I think it should be a pretty cool console, and I will drool over other people's consoles, I'm sure. It's not that I think it's an inferior product, it's mostly an economic decision.

I'm all for the X-Box360... ...as long as it's the premium version. The premium version will offer backwards compatibility, as it has a hard drive readily available. The 'lite' version is a sore waste of $300, however.

I still don't believe that Sony can put out a powerful and capable system. Their consoles have always, always been underpowered in comparisson to the Nintendo/Microsoft counterparts of the time. I've read the specs, but I also know that there's some fudge on the gears. I'll believe their hype when I see the finished product function as a thoroughbred gaming machine, and when developers say that they have to hamstring the X-Box360 version of the game, because the PS3 is too powerful for it to keep up.

My next home console purchase is definitely a Nintendo Revolution. I know that the first-party games will be fun and innovative. But the real reason I won't buy the other two is the fact that within 6 months of a game's release, I can own it on the PC, anyway - where the game will run better, look better, and if done right, offer more fluid control.

Unlikely to own any of the three for solely my own use, I will probably get one of the three however for when I have friends over.

It's just a lot less hassle to plug in an extra controller than to get friends to cart over pc's assuming we all have the same games.

I've never really played console games for the single player (GTA and Gran Turismo aside), and where I think they have value is the group entertainment factor, rather than being a direct competitor to a PC where gaming is concerned.

If I had to pick one, I'm a bit of a die hard Sony fan having had a PS1 and PS2, but it's been ages since I used my PS2 and will probably go for the 360 just because it'll be there for those parties running up Chrismas.

PS3 = Cell technology = multi-core processesing X 500cabizzillion

I'll agree that Xbox has better hardware than the PS2, probably spent a few years in dev when the P 300MHz was king...Xbox, just threw together existing hardware and added encyrption to the games. So, yeah Xbox had a real edge on graphical quality.

What it didnt' have was game franchises developing a ton of killer games...I'm not going to buy a $200+ system for only one or two games I'd theoretically play. So, I bought the PS2 and was happy I did. I'm thinking a repeat for 360 and PS3.

Edited by Brillow_Head

the xbox 360 also has multi-cores. 3 processors each able to handle 2 threads.

the PS3 from what I read has a few more processors, but each processor is dedicated to specific tasks. while the xbox's processors handles are non specific and specific data flow is not directed to a uniquie processor.

All depending on how the software is wrote for the CPUs will make a TON of difference.

Oh, i havent posted here yet? ..

I wont be buying an Xbox, nor will any of my friends. The console may be a behemoth of a machine, but who cares? my computer, my gameboy SP, my Nintendo Entertainment System, my Sega Genesis, and my Ps2/GC can play games that are *BETTER* (and by better, i mean play better, not look better - Counterstrike much?) and in addition to play games, theres about 10 THOUSAND things my computer can do that an Xbox 360 can't. Xbox is trying to shove graphics down everyones throat with this high-definition era of gaming garbage. the budgets of all games out today are going up and the proffit per game margin is dropping drastically. That basically means More games are being made and less games are being successful. Microsoft is *primarily* responsible for this.

Its really not fair to compare it to a computer though, I'd rather buy a Ps3.

- I hate to support microsoft in gaming, they are, in all honesty..ruining gaming with big business. They are ruining the scene.

- The best games Xbox has are often FPS games, which my PC does and always will do better, thanks to my mouse and keyboard. The sad part is most of the FPS games released on the system arent to hot to begin with.

- The 2nd best games Xbox has are often Sports games, which i could care less about.

- Any other genre of game, be it racing, Role-playing, Strategy, Puzzle, or Fighting - Other systems have a type of game thats better. Xbox is buying a lot of the competition out, but aslong as the major 'big-game' franchises like Square-Enix, Rockstar, and Capcom still support Ps3, thats where my money will be. There are others, these are great examples though.

er.. sorry. continue with the conversation, i wont be getting one >.>

-pre-orders are full just about anywhere you look so be ready to wait in line

-it will be as backwards compatible as possible, they say some earlier games won't work but the rest will (don't see why there would be a diff between the versions but maybe)

-xboxes last longer...i've had mine for 4 years with no problems whatsoever, have moved 4 times no probs, my friend has gone through 3 ps2's and has never moved and takes insane care of them (at least he gets sony to replace them)

-sony (really square) made a hardware demo of the opening sequence of FFVII but aren't remaking it, so boo to them

-all exclusivity contracts are void for the new systems so Square-Enix better wise up!

PS3's main draw (for me): Final Fantasy XII

No contest in my book, whichever console is going to have rights to the next FF game is the next console I come home with.

That's why I bought the PS1. Of course, FF XII won't be enough to get me to buy a whole new console, but I agree: If I were, that would be it.

No game should have that many sequals.....

To be fair, I don't think they should really be considered sequels in the strictest sense (well, there was one...).

-xboxes last longer...i've had mine for 4 years with no problems whatsoever, have moved 4 times no probs, my friend has gone through 3 ps2's and has never moved and takes insane care of them (at least he gets sony to replace them)

And I've had my PS2 almost as long, moved it around, banged the crap out of it and it still runs like a champ. We call this anecdotal evidence. I would actually like to see a long-term, controlled study on the lifetime of consoles to actually give something resembling solid numbers to this, though there would be all sorts of control issues.

It's a really neat idea, but we're really moving towards dedicated PCs, which makes me wonder not why are people buying consoles if they can just build their own PC (it's so simple :rolleye:) but why the manufacturers aren't putting more PC-type functions on their consoles: web browser, e-mail, keyboard. Insert foot in mouth if this is already planned for the consoles. This would be a great entry-level all-purpose machine that could be built to be far less generic than your average PC but as a result far more idiot-proof, and no monitor purchase necessary.

PS3's main draw (for me): Final Fantasy XII

No contest in my book, whichever console is going to have rights to the next FF game is the next console I come home with.

That's why I bought the PS1. Of course, FF XII won't be enough to get me to buy a whole new console, but I agree: If I were, that would be it.

No game should have that many sequals.....

To be fair, I don't think they should really be considered sequels in the strictest sense (well, there was one...).

And I've had my PS2 almost as long, moved it around, banged the crap out of it and it still runs like a champ. We call this anecdotal evidence. I would actually like to see a long-term, controlled study on the lifetime of consoles to actually give something resembling solid numbers to this, though there would be all sorts of control issues.

It's a really neat idea, but we're really moving towards dedicated PCs, which makes me wonder not why are people buying consoles if they can just build their own PC (it's so simple :rolleye:) but why the manufacturers aren't putting more PC-type functions on their consoles: web browser, e-mail, keyboard. Insert foot in mouth if this is already planned for the consoles. This would be a great entry-level all-purpose machine that could be built to be far less generic than your average PC but as a result far more idiot-proof, and no monitor purchase necessary.

Had an xbox and a ps2 in the desert in iraq. They stood up pretty well but couldnt keep the dust out indefinatly. The xbox was a lot easir to clean out than the ps2.

on their consoles: web browser, e-mail, keyboard.  Insert foot in mouth if this is already planned for the consoles.  This would be a great entry-level all-purpose machine that could be built to be far less generic than your average PC but as a result far more idiot-proof, and no monitor purchase necessary.

They already Are, Fun fact about the XBox 360: it can play mp3's and WMA files from any USB storage device and even play music WHILE your playing the game. Im sure the other systems will have new nifty tidbits aswell :)

The Sony PSP is the closest thing right now, once you get one of them badboys cracked its like you can Do Soo much with it.

The 'suits' are afraid of what users might do by giving them too much freedom, i mean look at the PC market, Piracy is rampant and things like that, i think they want to keep there consoles as secure as possible, i mean Xbox and Ps2 have already been modded to run OS's and stuff. so the technology is there, they just dont want users exploiting things.

And on another note - reguardless of what the Media says, Squeenix Probably wont be making any games for the 360. I'd be very suprised because in Japan, the Xbox brand name isn't exactly 'popular'.. and by that i mean they hate it over there. Square Enix would *loose* fans by signing any deals with microsoft, anything you've heard is pretty much media skewed. It would be counter-productive for them. If it did happen, you can rest assured Microsoft handed them millions to cover it.

And on another note - reguardless of what the Media says, Squeenix Probably wont be making any games for the 360. I'd be very suprised because in Japan, the Xbox brand name isn't exactly 'popular'.. and by that i mean they hate it over there. Square Enix would *loose* fans by signing any deals with microsoft, anything you've heard is pretty much media skewed. It would be counter-productive for them. If it did happen, you can rest assured Microsoft handed them millions to cover it.

Wow this bugs me out soooooo much! As much as I love the Japanese, but stuff like this makes me hate them soooo much! SONY SUCKS...GET OVER IT...I mean really...how long has it been since Sony stuck their nose in the gaming market where it so didn't belong and waved hordes of money in people's faces....they run SCEA the same way Tommy Mottola ran the music side...sorry I'm ranting...I don't know why Microsoft just doesn't spent millions lobbying the Gov. to pass a bill saying video game consoles must share all liscenses...I know I'm crazy...

on their consoles: web browser, e-mail, keyboard.  Insert foot in mouth if this is already planned for the consoles.  This would be a great entry-level all-purpose machine that could be built to be far less generic than your average PC but as a result far more idiot-proof, and no monitor purchase necessary.

They already Are, Fun fact about the XBox 360: it can play mp3's and WMA files from any USB storage device and even play music WHILE your playing the game. Im sure the other systems will have new nifty tidbits aswell :)

The Sony PSP is the closest thing right now, once you get one of them badboys cracked its like you can Do Soo much with it.

The 'suits' are afraid of what users might do by giving them too much freedom, i mean look at the PC market, Piracy is rampant and things like that, i think they want to keep there consoles as secure as possible, i mean Xbox and Ps2 have already been modded to run OS's and stuff. so the technology is there, they just dont want users exploiting things.

Hehe, well, excellent. Glad to hear it. Of course, music playback is not a web browser, but it's a baby crawl in that direction.

My friend has a PSP that's "cracked" (as I understand it with the old firmware there is no "cracking" involved, just DLing to a memory stick). Emulators abound, and they play pretty darn well (SNES is a little slow in some games). I would love a system like this, like the Revolution with its old Nintendo content, only portable.

I want a modded XBox, but wouldn't it be nice if the consoles shipped this way? Yeah, I agree, the "suits" are probably afraid, and with good reason: There's lots of legal precedent to sue everyone possible for things these days, especially when it comes to copyright issues. Of course, people reverse-engineer these things and do this anyway. This speaks to an interesting market. Is this the consumer making the product into what it wants, or is this a minority power user group who does not represent the wishes of the larger user groups? Should the product develop this way? The PC platform is a good point, in regards to "rampant" piracy.

I don't know, all I know is that $500 would be far more useful elsewhere to me.