Your RIG

Vovik

Don't get me wrong...i'm def. no expert, only been building for 3 years or so...but

If you try to run 3 x 1GB sticks of ram, your bios will default to running them in single channel mode, not dual channel. Windows XP cannot recognize more than 2 GB of ram...I suppose that is flaw never fixed cuz microsoft must have thought "who needs that much ram???"

Take out 1 stick of ram...make sure on the motherboard, both sticks you have left are in the same colored ram slots...(usually blue and purple or white and blue) Your stickes should be in two matching ram slots (i.e. blue and blue or purple and purple etc...).

In your bios (hit the delete key several times while your system POSTS to get to bios screen), make sure your memory is set to run in dual channel mode. With only 2 sticks of 1GB ram this will make things faster.

If you do try to run 3 sticks, your system defaults to single channel AND it still only uses 2 GB of memory...which is a waste.

Check this pic out http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/...r_1888_11483370

In this case you would have to put both sticks in either the black slots or the blue slots. Then set BIOS to "Dual Channel."

Hope that helps...sorry if confusing...

If you PM me, I can post some pics of my rig running 2 x 1GB sticks.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey all, Im planning dual Hitachi 80s for raid 0 as primary ( $50 each), then a single 250-300 as storage with a regular backup of the 80's. Get the raid 0 speed without concern for a single drive fail = all data lost.

Whatcha think?

sounds good. you definately have the right idea and you're doing what makes the most sense. if you want added security down the road just add a second storage in a raid 1.

cobalt, :D

cool guys that makes sense, i guess that is why when i do contral alt delete my little graph thing only shows one graph instead of two like it should, i will do that when i get home today and see how it runs.

interesting info, i just figured the more ram the better, what a pile of crap on windows part. that sucks that for now dual core people are limited to 2 gigs of ram.

cool guys that makes sense, i guess that is why when i do contral alt delete my little graph thing only shows one graph instead of two like it should, i will do that when i get home today and see how it runs.

interesting info, i just figured the more ram the better, what a pile of crap on windows part. that sucks that for now dual core people are limited to 2 gigs of ram.

Well it's either that or the pile of crap that is Windows x64. Vista will come out eventually and it will be ok then.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

AMD 64 3200

Nvidia 7800GS 256

2 200GB Seagate HD

3GB DDR 3200 Kingston 184 Pin RAM

Windows XP Professional

SoundBlaster Audigy 2

VA1912wb 19-inch LCD Multimedia Monitor, Black

Samsung 955DF 19-inch CRT Monitor

Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G5 Mouse

Plantronics GameCom 1 Gaming Headset

SteelPad S&S Gaming Mouse Pad

Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System

Microsoft Sidewinder Forcefeedback Joystick

HP OfficeJet 7310 Color All-In-One Printer

*Reinforcements* In case something breaks and they are just sitting inside my storage

Viewsonic 17-inch CRT Monitor

HP 17-inch CRT Monitor

Logitech Premium Stereo Headset

Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset

AMD Athlon XP 2100

AMD Athlon XP 2700

AMD Athlon XP 3200

ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128

ATI Radeon 9600SE 256

Nvidia 6200 256 OC BFG

Nvidia 6600 256 OC BFG

Nvidia GForce4 TI 4600 128

2 Maxtor 80GB HD

2 Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router With 4 10/100 Ports

Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router

Edited by s0l1tud3

Dell 4500 (5 years old soon!)

-P4 2GHz

-1 GB Ram (2x512 @ 266)

-nVidia 6200oc 256 BFG

-HD 1:40GB Maxor stock

-HD 2:120GB WD

-Creative Audigy

-Mon 1:19"NEC 8ms RT

-Mon 2:17"Dell CRT

-Behringer Eurorack UB1202 Sound Board for mic input

-Custom Senheizer headset mic (modified by me to fit on my headphones)

-Sony 6.1 755watt HTS

-Sony MDR-XD200 phones

-Microsoft Media keys

-Logitech G5

OOOOOLLLLLDDDDD!!!!!! And slow, but I can still give Bushwack, Wentz and Lex a run for their money in UT2k4 Ons @ 20-25fps ;)

OOOOOLLLLLDDDDD!!!!!! And slow, but I can still give Bushwack, Wentz and Lex a run for their money in UT2k4 Ons @ 20-25fps ;)

Hehehhe...in the end that IS all that matters!

Hehehhe...in the end that IS all that matters!

:D:spin2: Yep!!! All the eye candy in the world cant make you good!!!! (though, i know it DOES help a lot. I feel left behind... :( )

But not to worry, the new system will be built this summer! Idea (in the making)

-Xazer III V100A case (Thermaltake)

-700watt psu (not sure brand yet)

-7900gtx

-Asus A8N Premium

-X2 4400+

-2GB (2x1GB) PC3200

-X-Fi Elite Pro

Something like that. Not set in stone yet... though I have already ordered the Chassis! :D

FYI I do use my comp for much more than gaming. I also (sort of) run a rec. studio in my appartment. A small sample of the music I do (I play it all) is here. That's why I am interested in the Elite Pro. I rec with Adobe Audition 1.5 software, LineVI Spider 2 2x12, refitted squier with EMG's (I love the action), BCRich Beast bass, and my crappy crappy comp. Oh yeah, program with Boss's 770. I can play drums, but not at these speeds. :(

(edited)

Processor : AMD FX60 2.6 GHz

RAM: 2GB OCZ titanium

Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM

Mobo: Asus A8N32 - Deluxe SLI

Video Card: Dual Leadtek PX7800GTX 256MB in SLi mode

Keyboard: Logitech G15

Mouse: Razor Copperhead

Case: Thermaltake Armor

Power Supply: Coolmax 650W SLi ready

Monitor: 19in Hyundai B90, 8ms response

pre-wired my house also as it was getting built with CAT6 lines

Sound Card: SB Fatal1ty X-Fi 64mb X-RAM

-frog

Edited by Frog

(edited)

dark archon, that case is about 4 years old! send it back! get a newer case with 120mm fans. they move a lot more air and are a lot quieter. i've built a system with that case before and it's not one of my favourites.

frog, nice setup. looks like you had money to burn. have you checked the performance difference without sli on that monitor? seems a bit overkill to be running at only 1280x1024.

Edited by Cujo

dark archon, that case is about 4 years old! send it back! get a newer case with 120mm fans. they move a lot more air and are a lot quieter. i've built a system with that case before and it's not one of my favourites.

frog, nice setup. looks like you had money to burn. have you checked the performance difference without sli on that monitor? seems a bit overkill to be running at only 1280x1024.

Sometimes I find it ridiculously hard to disagree with you Cujo and I enjoy arguing with people :) hehehhe. Archon, he is right though. Frog's Armor case or a Coolermaster Stacker or that new Aero Cool case with the mega turbine in the side.

Sometimes I find it ridiculously hard to disagree with you Cujo and I enjoy arguing with people :) hehehhe. Archon, he is right though. Frog's Armor case or a Coolermaster Stacker or that new Aero Cool case with the mega turbine in the side.

:D

i have the armor as well and recommend it 100%. the new stacker looks killer as well. thermaltake has a 25cm fan side window coming for the armor and kandalf series.

Oh i'm sure you guys know more about it than me, but the price was right for one. I'm a student :(

I also liked the looks of it. Maybe I'll end up regretting it, but on the flip side the only thing i have to compare it to at the moment is my old pc. I'd like to live and learn this time i suppose... Thanks for the advice though, and feel free to keep it comin'! It IS my first build! :halo:

Oh i'm sure you guys know more about it than me, but the price was right for one. I'm a student :(

I also liked the looks of it. Maybe I'll end up regretting it, but on the flip side the only thing i have to compare it to at the moment is my old pc. I'd like to live and learn this time i suppose... Thanks for the advice though, and feel free to keep it comin'! It IS my first build! :halo:

Hehehe...Make ABSOLUTELY sure you use standoffs and only the EXACT amount that your motherboard has holes. This is the mistake I see the most at work with new computer builders.

Lol, yeah, just make sure your comp is turned off before you drill through your mobo, and you should be good to go, lol. :lol2:

j/k :hug: Good luck on the build.

I've built 2 so far (3 if you count having to replace the mobo I stupidly fried in this one one week before Fragfest last year...) Had no troubles with the hardware, but both times I've been too impatient when it came to the windows install. Make sure you take your time, do the install of whatever OS you're using, install all the mobo drivers, then the various card drivers etc.

If you shortcut the process and try to just get to the fun stuff (gaming :boing: ) you'll regret it and end up doing it all over again.

so heres me

Beatup anteck soho, the old skool ones when they were popular

antec neo 480

dfi lanparty nf4 ultra-d

opty 146 2.0ghz@ 2.8ghz(can do 2.95 on a cool day in my room)

1gb corshair crap ram

thermalright xp-120

2x 74gb raptors raid 0

1 200gb seagate

1 46gb ibm deathstar

x800xl (made by ati)

creative x-fi platnium

lite-on dvd burner

Main Gaming Rig:

AMD 64 3000+ @ 2.4ghz (270x9)

Corsair XMS 1GB (2x512) @ 225mhz

eVGA SLI Motherboard

XFX 7800GT

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

120gb HDD

NEC 16x DL DVD-RW

Coolermaster Stacker Case

Seccondary Windows Box/Fileserver

Pentium 4 2.4ghz

ECS Motherboard

1gb PC2700 Ram (generic)

120gb HDD

160gb HDD

200gb HDD

Media Center PC:

AMD Sempron 2600+

Chaintech Motherboard

512mb PC3200 (generic)

13gb HDD

Dad's Computer:

AMD 64 3500+

1gb Corsair Value Ram

Abit Motherboard

eVGA 7800GT

120gb HDD

Mom's Computer:

AMD XP 2700+

512mb PC2700

ECS Motherboard

PNY 6600GT

80gb HDD

Sound setups:

Sennheiser HD-555's (main headphones)

Sennheiser HD-212 Pro's (seccondary headphones)

Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers

LOL! Guy ordered me the wrong case. He got me the lanfire instead of the v2000a i wanted. Now i told him to take it back and decided instead to go for the armour w/ the 25cm side fan and window. Thanks guy(s)

Try to save some $$$ elsewhere in your build, but a good case makes ALL the difference with noise output, cooling, reliability, and the stability of your expensive gear in it.

I recommend coolermasters (get pretty good for cheap, yo!). They have never let me down. If you want a smaller case, try the Centurion...good price...good construction....good airflow. Use 120mm fans whenever possible.

I have a CoolerMaster stacker and it is the best case I've ever seen. Not very portable, but lots of room to work and super adaptible for upgrades and great with cooling.