Is my computer worth upgrading?

VooDooPC

I came apon 150 dollars about a week ago and with Christmas around the corner I might find myself with a little more money. I thought maybe I could upgrade my computer abit but now that I think about it, I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Right now, I have:

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ processor. (Could be dying)

128+256+512=896mb of ram. Not sure on the speeds, but they aren't very new so they can't be very fast.

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40gig ATA/133 hard drive (Could be dying)

Creative Labs sound card that's so old I can't even find it on their website.

ATI X800 Pro 256mb graphics card.

2 CD-ROMs that aren't even plugged in. One's a plain old CD-ROM and the other is CD-RW.

CRT 21" Monitor. (Could be dying)

E-Machines falling apart keyboard. (Could be dying)

Logitech MX-500 mouse.

The motherboard is Socket-A and I think the fastest Socket-A processor they made was the Athlon XP 2800+. So that pretty much limits that. Without a faster processor it pretty much bottlenecks the rest of the computer.

Getting a faster processor means a new mother board, new motherboard means new graphics card if I plan to update to PCI-e. I don't want a new graphics card until I have too, because my X800 isn't very old.

Is there anything I can do to this computer that would make it fesable for around 250 dollars or am I better off just living with it for aslong as I can and getting a completely new machine in the future?

I'd recommend just sticking with it for now, and keep your eyes open for a decent AGP mobo to buy. If you can get a faster processor and mobo for AGP at a good price I'd do that.

His mobo is AGP...or are you saying to get a better mobo and stick with AGP...thats probably what you're saying (slomo ref# 14) so I'd agree...that or even your ram out, try and find 2 identical 512mb chips

I'd recommend just sticking with it for now, and keep your eyes open for a decent AGP mobo to buy. If you can get a faster processor and mobo for AGP at a good price I'd do that.

His mobo is AGP...or are you saying to get a better mobo and stick with AGP...thats probably what you're saying (slomo ref# 14) so I'd agree...that or even your ram out, try and find 2 identical 512mb chips

Yeah that's what I meant, keep a lookout for an AGP mobo for a faster CPU.

Getting a faster processor means a new mother board, new motherboard means new graphics card if I plan to update to PCI-e. I don't want a new graphics card until I have too, because my X800 isn't very old.

Is there anything I can do to this computer that would make it fesable for around 250 dollars or am I better off just living with it for aslong as I can and getting a completely new machine in the future?

If you don't want to upgrade to PCI-e there's no sense in spending

a lot of money. Look here! That will get you a very large increase in all areas.

Especially gameplay. On the other hand you could probably sell your X800 & still

get a half decent price for it now & use the money to pick up an

even better mobo cpu combo & a cheap PCI-e card. Either way you look at

it the best deals will be had on, or shortly after, Boxing day.

Wayfarer, that's a good buy. One that I wouldn't have recommended a year ago in VooDoo's situation, but now that they're set to release Socket M in less than a year, one that I'm more than willing to live with.

VooDoo, here's the deal:

By next year, you will see an entirely new set of processors/motherboards/RAM come out that are totally incompatible with anything available right now. If you can put up with everything you've got for a year or so, until the new stuff becomes affordable, go for it.

But buying a socket 939 or socket 754 motherboard and a new processor is totally worth it for the amount of performance you'll get back for the next year or so, until you're ready to drop a bombshell on totally gutting your box with a new everything. You'll get a gigantic boost in the Source engine, at least, as well as most other physics-heavy engines. Plus, you'll get a huge boost from your videocard. Even if you had a RADEON 9600XT, you'd see a performance boost by upgrading your processor.

So my recommendation would be to grab something almost exactly like what Way put up. Once you do, buy a second 512MB stick of RAM... ...it'll just makes your PC's life easier.

Whats the difference between an Athlon and a Sempron?

Not sure what the difference is, but athlon is better.

*EDIT* Just looked at your mobo. Some might disagree with

my link above, & set you towards 939 socket. My reasoning was

just as Norg put it. You will get a SUBSTANTIAL increase with

the link I posted.

Edited by wayfarer

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...8338&CatId=1279

This will upgrade your motherboard,CPU and add RAM. You also get a nice case. The CPU isn't as fast as the one listed above but it's good enough for what's out there since you are limited to the x800pro anyway.

That would be my suggestion unless you have a little more cash then go: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...2101&CatId=1279

Edited by Preacher

hold up, hold up I think you shouldn't buy Socket 754 because there isn't going to be upgradeability for it....Get Socket 939. Or am I wrong? I don't have AMD....I'm pretty sure I'm right...

Look at Norg's post here. You'll see we already

discussed that. Yeah Voodoo I like that pick!! The Abit has a 1600mhz

system bus compared to Asus 800mhz. Thats the difference I lost when I

switched to Asus from my Foxxcon. Go for it! You won't be dissapointed.

I had to change my plans a bit because I'm thinking the chances of me getting another 100 dollars to spend on my computer by the end of the year is slim. The Tigerdirect rebates end the 31st. Which means I would most likely have to order about a week before Christmas. In other words, a week before I have all the money I would need. :D

So I did a bit of looking around Newegg to find something, I came up with this motherboard or this motherboard (which? :)) and this processor.

Preacher, this is just to make my computer last a bit longer before I by a new computer. I'm not looking for too many new parts right now. In a year or so I will most likely scrap this computer for a whole new system and I will no doubt be here asking about it then. :hug:

Edited by VooDooPC

I would'nt skimp on the processor Voodoo. If you can manage it

get the 3400 I would even say don't stop there

get the 3700 You will be dissapointed if you

stay with 754 socket & don't get one of those processors!

*EDIT* For that matter if you really want to pinch pennies

spend an extra $50.00 & get this & this! That would give you a 2000mhz system bus. You would be

much better off. I would not do a 3000+ though.

Edited by wayfarer

If I could afford those I would just get the original motherboard/processor combo I wanted. :)

I would deffinately wait until Boxing day or the new year Voodoo!

These companies are gonna want to dump their old stock after

Christmas. You might find with the money you spent you could have

done much better had you waited for a week or two!

I came apon 150 dollars about a week ago and with Christmas around the corner I might find myself with a little more money. I thought maybe I could upgrade my computer abit but now that I think about it, I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Right now, I have:

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ processor. (Could be dying)

128+256+512=896mb of ram. Not sure on the speeds, but they aren't very new so they can't be very fast.

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40gig ATA/133 hard drive (Could be dying)

Creative Labs sound card that's so old I can't even find it on their website.

ATI X800 Pro 256mb graphics card.

2 CD-ROMs that aren't even plugged in. One's a plain old CD-ROM and the other is CD-RW.

CRT 21" Monitor. (Could be dying)

E-Machines falling apart keyboard. (Could be dying)

Logitech MX-500 mouse.

The motherboard is Socket-A and I think the fastest Socket-A processor they made was the Athlon XP 2800+. So that pretty much limits that. Without a faster processor it pretty much bottlenecks the rest of the computer.

Looks like your setup is still decent. Maybe a new eide 80gig 7200rpm or higher hdd with an 8mb buffer (hitachi or western digital) will provide a bit more oomf and be able to use your old drive as a backup. The video card looks good. You can get a creative sb audigy 2 card for $50. The fastest cpu you can put in I beleive is the athlon xp 3000 found here for a good price at $128:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=AX3000_400&c=pw

Lite-on makes a good dvdrw for $50 here:

http://www.3gplaza.com/estore/control/Comp...9658&srccode=PW

Keyboards are $10 to $20 bucks and your mouse is still fairly current. These prices may get you under the $250 dollar mark :D