geforce 7800 gt

i should have mine in a few days, what minimum fps do you drop down to when the fighting gets heavy?

your cpu is gonna limit your min fps well before a 7800gt.

yea thats what ive been reading, but Im thinking if I can get a decent overclock on it, It shouldn't be THAT bad. I know it can hit 3500+ easy, as it did on the AsRock board. But i am stoked about switching back to nvidia, Haven't owned once since Gf4MX.

(edited)

my last nvidia was a gf3 ti200. was a great card until someone offered to buy it and i went with a 9800non-pro that i bios flashed to a pro and oced to xt speeds.

the 7 series is the first time nvidia has competed with ati in hl2/source so it's a good upgrade right now. unless you need the avivo features of ati it's definately the way to go over the x1800xl.

Edited by Cujo

Ebil and igloo, can you two run the CS stress test at maximum settings(AA, Anisotropic, HDR maxed out) and post the results?

Mine already are like that and last time I did the valve stress test it was around 130 FPS. I still need to get an s video wire

I just did a stress test @ 1280x960, everything on high, shadows high, AA and AF off. I got 159.01.

With my 3200+@2.2Ghz.

(edited)

same settings at 1280x960 as you cept 6x aa and i get 169. no cfgs or driver tweaks.

edit - 134.xx at 1600x1200. btw, there's no hdr in the stress test.

1024x768 = 178.xx

Edited by Cujo

NOFX is that score with ATI or Nvidia??

that is a 3200+ and a 7800GT.

My 3200+ + x850Pro - at 1152x864 with everything on medium, no AA or AF - 120FPS

My P4 2.6@3.0 + x850 pro - same settings as above - 112FPS.

I notice more FPS when I Overclocked to 2.2. I'm gonna see how far I can push this sucker. Also, At first my computer really didnt like my memory. I do have 4x256. After doing a few combinations, it seems like I got it stable with all 4 sticks. For a brief moment I was running at DDR200. And man that is so slow...it kills your FPS.

I still get some stuttering though. I dont know where the bottleneck would be? Possibly the RAM?

4 sticks is hard on the a64 mem controller. you should be ok with your command rate set to 2t.

as my tests showed with my old x800xl, the higher your cpu goes the more performance you get in source.

I'll post mine as son as i get it. i got same as nofx.

whats ur cpu stats nofx?

i have raid 0 w/ raptors 2 gigs of ddr2 533 (1 gig x2)

but im running a pent 4 3.2. i think that will put a big dent in my score :(

my card should be here in a few days and i will post my score.

If you buy one, make sure its from new egg, and that it is from the company called XFX for the simple reason that the company offers a lifetime warranty on the card for you, and the person you sell it too in the future. Also at newegg they give you an upgrade to the extreme addition for free. I paid 316 bucks plus i got free shipping and a 20 mir. So go for it, i am not unhappy with my card. :-)

If you buy one, make sure its from new egg, and that it is from the company called XFX for the simple reason that the company offers a lifetime warranty on the card for you, and the person you sell it too in the future.  Also at newegg they give you an upgrade to the extreme addition for free.  I paid 316 bucks plus i got free shipping and a 20 mir.  So go for it, i am not unhappy with my card.  :-)

BHG too... has the life time thingy i believe and upgrade fee so in the future you can just shuffle around in your socks and tap your card when time comes for an upgrade :biglaugha:

If you buy one, make sure its from new egg, and that it is from the company called XFX for the simple reason that the company offers a lifetime warranty on the card for you, and the person you sell it too in the future.  Also at newegg they give you an upgrade to the extreme addition for free.  I paid 316 bucks plus i got free shipping and a 20 mir.  So go for it, i am not unhappy with my card.  :-)

actually I jsut bought EVGA for the simple reason, they have the highest clock speeds on their cards and it came with Quake 4.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this topic has been dead for 10+ days, but I just felt like throwing my 2 cents in. I love my eVGA 7800GT CO. Gives me kick-butt performance even with my "bottleneck" of a CPU. (Yes, I have an intel... its a 630 3.0GHz OCed to 3.41GHz). Cujo has already scolded me a couple times about my cpu (among other things ;) ), so no need to pile on :smillie_smilling:

Just ran CS:S stress test w/ everything maxed at 1280x1024, and got average of 140fps. Spose thats decent for my inferior cpu!