Dead mouse rotting in the furnace.

Guest ash-

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

Just moved into this new apt/condo thingy and we brought some mice from the previous slum with us. I suppose he crawled into the central air vents and died somewhere in the furnace. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure what the thing that he crawled into is called. All I know is it has a big vent coming from the top of it and it's in the basement. Of course, my PC and room happens to be here which means I have the most pleasant smell to admire day in and day out. Anyone know if I can safely open this thing up and remove the mouse? I'm currently lighting cigs and letting them burn away (i hate cigs) to mask the smell. Need to acquire a bottle of ozium in the meantime if I can't get rid of it :/.

Ohhhh, the smell of rotting animal....nice.

When I owned snakes and had them in my class, there were times when I'd come back in on a Monday after a snake had partially digested a mouse, and then decided to regurgitate it. Nothing like it.

I was going to suggest cheese, but he's prolly not hungry. Good luck.

If I read you correctly, you brought the mouse with you from your previous dwelling? So calling the landlord/super is not an option for you? If so, I'm sure you can remove the cover of the vent without endangering yourself. Get a flashlight and a cable snake if you have one and start fishing. Otherwise I'd throw a cat in there...if he gets the mouse, problem solved...if he falls into the furnace, cat problem solved.

If I read you correctly, you brought the mouse with you from your previous dwelling? So calling the landlord/super is not an option for you? If so, I'm sure you can remove the cover of the vent without endangering yourself. Get a flashlight and a cable snake if you have one and start fishing. Otherwise I'd throw a cat in there...if he gets the mouse, problem solved...if he falls into the furnace, cat problem solved.

but then you get a dead cat causing an even greater smell than the mouse? :freak:;)

Just moved into this new apt/condo thingy and we brought some mice from the previous slum with us. I suppose he crawled into the central air vents and died somewhere in the furnace. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure what the thing that he crawled into is called. All I know is it has a big vent coming from the top of it and it's in the basement. Of course, my PC and room happens to be here which means I have the most pleasant smell to admire day in and day out. Anyone know if I can safely open this thing up and remove the mouse? I'm currently lighting cigs and letting them burn away (i hate cigs) to mask the smell. Need to acquire a bottle of ozium in the meantime if I can't get rid of it :/.

cigs rofl... to mask the smell..

NuT- :twitch::twitch:

go to thermostat, turn to off or a temp guranteed not to ignite furnace

Open anything you want to remove mouse. If it's in a place where wiring is then you need to be careful, but if it's ducts intake or outflow it's pretty hard to mess up anything. The only thing I would suggest is to be careful not to put too much pressure against any of the ductwork, as a leak in the ducts makes for a crappy A/C or Heat.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
go to thermostat, turn to off or a temp guranteed not to ignite furnace

Open anything you want to remove mouse. If it's in a place where wiring is then you need to be careful, but if it's ducts intake or outflow it's pretty hard to mess up anything. The only thing I would suggest is to be careful not to put too much pressure against any of the ductwork, as a leak in the ducts makes for a crappy A/C or Heat.

I just tried the other night. The Furnace has proprietary screws so I'm screwed :bang::bang::bang: Now I gotta wait for management to come fix it!

I think he was kidding about bringing the mouse over...

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

cigs rofl... to mask the smell..

NuT- :twitch::twitch:

Anything is better than rotting flesh :(

Ohhhh, the smell of rotting animal....nice.

When I owned snakes and had them in my class, there were times when I'd come back in on a Monday after a snake had partially digested a mouse, and then decided to regurgitate it. Nothing like it.

I was going to suggest cheese, but he's prolly not hungry. Good luck.

Snake farts are pretty stank, too.

Oh thats nothing, last spring me and the wife are watching tv and she says "whats that on the floor?". I look over twards the fireplace and there is a maggot on the floor! I pick it up with a napkin and killed it, then threw it away and me and the wife are wondering where it came from.... Two mins later she says "there is another one!" and this time I see a little trail of ash coming from the fireplace.. WELL a Racoon got in our chiminey during the winter and Died!! After picking up maggots for 10 mins I open the fireplace and BAM the Smell!!! It was so bad, so very bad.. I went outside and got a stack of wood, and had the fire burning for about 2 days.. So there are bones up there now, and probably a leathery smoked carcass..

And for the last 2 yrs befor I turn on my gas furnace Ive had to get dead birds out of the blower that have gotten stuck.. I think its time I spent some money on a chiminey cap..

Pretty common thing with furnaces. If all else fails you might just have to call a serviceman to clear it out. Also remember that the smell of rotting flesh also brings other critters. Natures sanitation workers. You may want to get a move on. These critters that show up could be rats (which is far worse than mice, dead or alive), a lot of ants, maggots/flies, etc.. :D