Just get your driver's license?

Magruter

Friday in one the cities i work in had a fatal accident involving a car and an electric pole. Guess who won?

car%20accident.JPG

The driver just got his license 3 weeks ago, they estimate him doing 60-65 in a 25. Hit a center median, went airborne, and slammed in the pole. Driver died instantly the passenger is still in critical condition...

We had a 15 year old passenger die in a street racing incident last night here. 2 - 16 yr olds racing with their girlfriends in the passenger seats. Both wrecked. The on flipped 5 times before coming to rest on his top. Girl died and he's in critical condition. Not sure how bad the other crash was, but his girl is in stable condition in the hospital and he is in jail.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)

While it is sad and terrible that someone has died, it was bound to happen. Here in michigan you can get your drivers license at the ridiculous age of 16. I'm 23 and I don't even have a license! I hate cars and I'm even scared to drive them as I have seen this kind of thing happen many times in Detroit. You learn to have alot more respect for these motorized coffins when you see what happens when stupid people get behind the wheel. This is just another sad example of why teens should not be allowed to drive.

Some adults have ENOUGH problems as is driving properly, why should kids be any different? Imo, it should be required that you be 21 to even drive a vehicle. What really makes me mad about this whole debacle is that when you go out and drive in the streets YOU are in danger as well because of these idiots! I can't count how many idiots I hear day and night that zoom down my street and past the stop lights. I see their faces some times. It's almost always some young buck with his buddies thinking he's some hot stuff. When will the madness end?

Edited by ash-

Racing not good, unless your at a track and equiped with the proper gear.

Agreed.

A friend of mine, (though, not a very close friend, because he is not the sharpest tool in the shed) crashed his '76 camaro months ago; he was racing.

I live one street parallel to a main road, Navajo Dr. He was racing on a stretch of this road, and was doing about 120, he took a turn at this speed, lose control, hit the median, and then veered to the right due to the impact and rolled into a ravine. He was extremely lucky because only about 30 feet from where he flew off the road is an escarpment that is nearly vertical. Had he hit that, he and his passenger would surely have died on impact. He suffered only a concussion and his body a broken ankle and a nasty looking eye injury.

Racing. Is. Stupid.

(edited)

It's really sad to see stuff like this happen.

Kids need to realize that driving is a privaledge not a gift.

As for street racing, it happens everywhere, i know about a year ago 2 guys were racing down this one main street in my city. What's worse is that they were racing during the winter. Naturally on a small bend one lost control and slammed into a light fixture. He didn't make it. some people sadly to say have to learn the hard way, what's worse is when they have passengers who get affected by the driver's stupidity.

Edited by Xterminator

I don't think we should stop kids from driving, but parents need to see how responsible their kid is and make a decision. But now days every kid HAS to get their license at that time.

I learned to drive a 5 speed when I was 12-13 years old, we had an old 85 nova that i took into the field for practice. Its been 11-12 years since then and Ive had no accidents, but I do have a bad road rage problem. I honestly feel like every 3rd car I pass the person is paying about as much attention as the kid who just slammed that pole. Is it just me or just about every close call you have, its some idiot who can't drive and you have to dodge them to keep from having an accident.

So many times, if I wasn't paying attention I could have been in an accident and it been their fault. One day I change the radio station, look back up and their is this fat lady in a van driving right at me in my lane. I had to swerve off the road into someones yard and miss their mailbox to keep this lady from hitting me.

One day, Im putting a big rubber bumper on my jeep and my plan is to NOT avoid other people and let them learn to not pull out in front of me the hard way.

ok, enough of my rant.

I almost was in a car crash on my own road yesterday coming home from work!

There is a tight corner, I was making a right, so I was on the inside. A Dodge Charger, very nice and new, was on the yellow line, so I got closer to the white line to avoid smashing into them. They continue to go into my lane and I continue to go off the road! There is a hill there, so I could only go so far, as they get about almost 3/4 into my lane, they swurve back over, our tires are screaming from brakin and turning, and I felt my heart fly up hit my brain and settle in my throat. It was very scarey! I hope to see that car again.. so I can see the driver.

I honestly feel like every 3rd car I pass the person is paying about as much attention as the kid who just slammed that pole. Is it just me or just about every close call you have, its some idiot who can't drive and you have to dodge them to keep from having an accident.

That's why good drivers, like yourself, have to always drive defensively.

Being 16 and having a new license has nothing to do with it. States give out things called "learners permits" for a reason. Parents need to know how to drive properly, and practice good driving habits with kids in the car. Then, they can properly teach their child how to drive. Knowing how to drive is much more than knowing where the pedals are and how to drive forward and in reverse. Parents fail to realize this, or just don't care enough to make time to teach their kids. When I got my learners permit at 15 1/2 (MO law for learners permits), my mother asked if I wanted to drive home from the DMV office. She let me drive everywhere, so that I had plenty of experience. She felt comfortable enough letting me have the keys to the car, and going out of town, the first weekend I had my license. Never been in an accident.

I don't blame people for being scared of cars on the road. Between the idiots that don't know how to pay attention to the road and the constant media coverage of fatal accidents, people are bound to be freaked out. If you are genuinely afraid to drive a car, however, I applaud you for keeping yourself off of the road.

Accidents happen this quickly. If you drive a cage, please keep your eyes on the road and pay attention to everything that is around you! Not just in front of you! I drive a very bright red Ford Ranger, and I constantly have people who manage to not even see it. While on my bike, I have been close enough to kick people's driver side front door. And they never notice that they almost merged into something or someone.

And yes, I do drive fast. Excessively on occasion. Is it possibly dangerous? Perhaps. But I am also one to develop intimate knowledge of the limits of whatever it is that I drive, and have done so since I turned 16.