Ageia PhyX

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Word is that Microsoft is working on an API to standardize hardware physics excellerators. May see it with Vista but it will more than likely be available when DX10 is updated after Vista.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)

This is all fine and dandy for spectacular single player visuals, but how are they gonna transmit massive physics calculations across the internet in 32+ player games which are the norm now? We already know that Valve can't even do it with CS:S and HL2 DM just barely slips by. I don't know anything about physics or how this information gets sent across a network but you can just imagine the massive amount of information that would have to be sent to 32 players simultaneously watching a house that has been realisticly demolished while players are being ragdolled by the explosion!

Edited by ash-

This is all fine and dandy for spectacular single player visuals, but how are they gonna transmit massive physics calculations across the internet in 32+ player games which are the norm now? We already know that Valve can't even do it with CS:S and HL2 DM just barely slips by. I don't know anything about physics or how this information gets sent across a network but you can just imagine the massive amount of information that would have to be sent to 32 players simultaneously watching a house that has been realisticly demolished while players are being ragdolled by the explosion!

Well the same amount of packets are still going to be transmitted it is just a matter of how quickly your computer can perform the calculations of the physics. Hence the need for a dedicated physics processing card.

Yeah, actually you are right about GRAW cause it is a pretty fun game. I would probably get a card for the new Warhammer game too.

I think it's dumb that it costs 300 dollars.

In the future, games will be able to use the GPU for physics and even now if a game company wanted they could use the whole second core of a processor for physics.

I've always been demented, I just can't hide it as well anymore. Its also from my favorite game, ever.

I watched the Ghost Recon videos from that site. I must say, most of the stuff looks much better without the chip. Shooting a grenade at the wall should not make large chunks of black metal to fly out. Shooting the wall shouldn't make 20+ huge chunks of concrete to fly out (they don't even stay on the ground, they go right through it), the sparks on the car looked over done too me. The only thing I did like about it was the smoke.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)

Well the same amount of packets are still going to be transmitted it is just a matter of how quickly your computer can perform the calculations of the physics. Hence the need for a dedicated physics processing card.

I think the cell factor video pretty much proves my point as you can only see about 6 people playing at any one time. Think about it; hundreds of barrels going through the air have to be calculated by the server and the results have to be sent to each client. It's not like the physics for garbage (ie bottles, cans) that you see in CS where the physics are only calculated on the client side. These are important physics objects that are part of the gameplay and must be simulated by the server for accuracy. It's very neat but I don't think we will be seeing the holy grail of fully destructable environments with tons of physics objects anytime soon, atleast not for multiplayer games. The bandwidth is probably there on the server side but I can just imagine how much money it would cost to run a 32 person server for cell factor! If anything we'll probably be seeing more Battlefield-like games with alot more vehicles.

Edited by ash-

Yeah, 300 bucks seems kinda steep off the bat, but boils down to this for me:

a ) get the Ageia Physx Doohickiebob

- or -

b ) get another GeForce 7900 GT

Short term I think shelling out 300 clams on a SLI video setup would be the way to go.

Long term, eh, seems like the whole Voodoo/Glide thing to me.

Yeah, 300 bucks seems kinda steep off the bat, but boils down to this for me:

a ) get the Ageia Physx Doohickiebob

- or -

b ) get another GeForce 7900 GT

Short term I think shelling out 300 clams on a SLI video setup would be the way to go.

Long term, eh, seems like the whole Voodoo/Glide thing to me.

hhehehe....good call!

i would sell your 7900gt and get a gtx. i'd rather have a single gtx then two gts in sli.

The 7900 GT was what I could affort at the time (pushing it too :)), only days after they went for sale online. I picked up a EVGA that runs at 500/1500 out of the box for $318 shipped and came with City of Villans free. The GTX was well over $500.

Hopefully when UT2k7 ships I can get another 7900 GT for around $200.

Hee are some good benchmark pages: seems the 2 GTs in SLI are considerably faster then a single GTX.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/326/21/

those are both older games. check out benches of oblivion. it's probably the toughest game in existence on gpus right now.

i don't care if two gts are faster. for the money i'd still rather have a single 512mb card. two gts are considerably more then a single gtx. i just don't feel it's worth the difference.

when ut 2k7 ships you'll be getting a new card altogether i bet.

$318 is a REALLY good price though.

Having a 7900GTX puts you at the top of the line right now and still gives you room for expansion in the form of another card (likely when Supreme Commander or UT2K7 ships). With 2 cards in SLI you are at the end of the line when it comes to video cards unless you start from scratch again. If you can still sell that card for some decent money on eBay when you are ready to add a second you might be better off taking Cujo's advice and going with a single card. I have an EVGA 7900GTX 512 and that card eats Oblivion for breakfast.

I just can't bring myself to dropping $500 on a Video card. Just like I don't think I can drop $300 for the Physx card. I need that extra $$$$ for a new set of mains for my home theater. :D

Calling all Pentys! Get in here. =)

Where is Penty? Have'nt seen the boy lately.

haha but combined you're gonna spend more then $500... i dunno it's really just personal preference. i just hate sli as an upgrade path unless you buy the top of the line.