Gears of War

EbilDustBunny

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, they were showing Gears of War in the Microsoft theater at E3. I was hoping it was Halo 3, so I went in disappointed, but Gears totally got my attention. The guy was playing through the first level, and unlike most games where they make you go through the training mission, you can choose to go one path to take, or take another path, that's completely different, and still get to the mission objective. Oh, and the chainsaw secondary fire on the assault rifle is WICKED. :biglaugha:

• 4 months later...
I think I am the only one on the planet that thinks this game looks boring and repetitive.

The graphics look nice, but I got burned on that with Oblivion on the 360: laggy framerate when your horse is moving at a steady trot. The cover system looks neat, but I'm kind of done with the FPS genre as a whole myself. I'd disagree that the game doesn't look like it has anything to offer, but I haven't run out and pre-ordered it. Now the new Sam and Max game...

Oh, anyone know if you can turn off the blood splatter on the camera when you use the chainsaw? And the bobbing chase cam when you run? They both look like they would become extremely distracting and lose their novelty very quickly.

There was a game that came out in early 2004 for the PC/PS2/XBox call Kill.Switch. It has the exact same mechanic of hiding behind walls and shooting from cover. Gamespot said, "The mechanics for ducking and getting behind cover are well done, and the premise is a good one. Unfortunately, that's all Kill.Switch really has going for it.", about Kill.Switch and I imagine them saying something similar for Gears of War, there's nothing else the game has. It's graphics and hiding behind stuff.

There was a game that came out in early 2004 for the PC/PS2/XBox call Kill.Switch. It has the exact same mechanic of hiding behind walls and shooting from cover. Gamespot said, "The mechanics for ducking and getting behind cover are well done, and the premise is a good one. Unfortunately, that's all Kill.Switch really has going for it.", about Kill.Switch and I imagine them saying something similar for Gears of War, there's nothing else the game has. It's graphics and hiding behind stuff.

Weakest arguement ever. Please Voodoo...if you're going to troll about, put in a little effort.

Oblivion is nothing but cave diving and spell casting...offers nothing new.

CS is the same old shoot all your enemies, rinse and repeat...offers nothing new.

Videogame B is like Videogame A so therefore all videogame B has to offer is a new look to videogame A.

Also your post implies you've played GoW which you haven't, so what are you getting at?

It's possible to hide behind things in most F/TPS I've played on the 360, Perfect Dark Zero, GRAW, even Tomb Raider Legend, that's nothing new.

I am more than likely going to get GoW, in all honesty unless a F/TPS does something completely new, which is not an easy feat, more often than not they are the same "old" thing just with a different spin.

HL2 for example, a truly great game, but what genuinely new did it offer, the gravity gun, I can't think of much else. I loved HL2, don't get me wrong, but I personally believed the more free adventure nature of either FarCry or even further back in time Operation Flashpoint were more "new" and interesting in what they offered.

I'd prefer to judge each game on it's individual merits rather than constantly run comparisons between it and other offerings in the same genre, particularly in a market as flooded as that of the F/TPS.

Example: Geometry wars evolved.... it's just asteroids, only fancier. That may be the case, but it's addictive, different enough and so well done that it stands as a great game in it's own right.

Call of Duty: it's just a prettier Medal of Honor, that it may be, but despite all the similarities between the two, they were/are great games in their own right.

Just because something doesn't offer anything new doesn't mean it's rubbish.

This game is almost upon us. Hopefully I can find a few of you guys with it online to play with. The last trailer I saw for this got me really stoked. If you haven't seen it take a look.

That is the trailer link i posted here anon, same as on XBL.

Ok, this game may have taken a lot of influences from other games...however, there is one thing it has going for it that I've not seen yet. (aside from old arcade games and some side scrollers on the nintendo)

Say you're playing a single player campaign. Your friend hops onto XBOX Live, and sees that you're in this mission in Gears of War....

He can SEAMLESSLY hop into the game, taking over an NPC. There's no pause, there's no starting the level over with your friend. He's just there, and you get a little blinking message that says your friend is now playing.

That is one of the coolest multiplayer co-op options I've ever seen....

Even on the old Nintendo games, your friend still had to be sitting next to you to hop in like that.....it's a GREAT idea for XBOX live games... :boing:

Weakest arguement ever. Please Voodoo...if you're going to troll about, put in a little effort.

Oblivion is nothing but cave diving and spell casting...offers nothing new.

CS is the same old shoot all your enemies, rinse and repeat...offers nothing new.

Videogame B is like Videogame A so therefore all videogame B has to offer is a new look to videogame A.

Also your post implies you've played GoW which you haven't, so what are you getting at?

Where did I say a game had to offer something new to be good? I didn't.

I'm saying this game is just like Killswitch, hiding behind walls and shooting from them. That's Gears of Wars big super selling point, "pop and stop". The mechanic isn't new, but that isn't the point. The mechanic being boring and repetitive is the point. You spend the whole game jumping from little wall to little wall, then they throw in gore and good graphics to make it look appealing to console gamers.

Maverick' date='Oct 30 2006, 09:47 AM' post='373787']

Ok, this game may have taken a lot of influences from other games...however, there is one thing it has going for it that I've not seen yet. (aside from old arcade games and some side scrollers on the nintendo)

Say you're playing a single player campaign. Your friend hops onto XBOX Live, and sees that you're in this mission in Gears of War....

He can SEAMLESSLY hop into the game, taking over an NPC. There's no pause, there's no starting the level over with your friend. He's just there, and you get a little blinking message that says your friend is now playing.

That is one of the coolest multiplayer co-op options I've ever seen....

Even on the old Nintendo games, your friend still had to be sitting next to you to hop in like that.....it's a GREAT idea for XBOX live games... :boing:

I was not aware of that, that is a cool feature.

No Xbox360 here but seeing as it is somewhat UT related, been following along.

FYI - if you haven't already read, the game apparently lives up to the hype and then some

9.6 on Gamespot - check the *long* video review as well.

Have fun guys - makes me look forward to UT2K7 even more...

-Fk