Temperatures

whudats

...for my hard drive to format, what are good temps to run? My CPU and MOBO are usually 45-47. That's both while idle and when hard charging in games. My HD's never go over 30. Are these good temps? What are the ideal ranges for temperatures?

(n00b, n00b, n00b...) :D

Depends on our CPU but general rule for modern processors is sub 50C. Ideal would be sub 40C for CPU and sub 35C for mobo.

Thanks man. I had no idea, but I figured I was okay from the stuff I saw on the net...

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
(edited)

at the absolute worst (hot day, knarly map, all the bells and whistles), I never break 34 degrees C on the CPU. MB never passes 30 degrees C, HD never passes 35 degrees C. Idle on the CPU is about 25-27 degrees celcius, 28-29 for the MB. My 7800GT does reach about 47 degrees C but it says it can go up to 75 C.

AMD 64 3200+, Abit KN8-SLi (passive cooling), WD SATA 80gig 7200rpm, and 7800GT XFX card. Average tempature inside the room is about 75 degrees. Its a Raidmax 4 fan case with a Antec powersupply (large fan)

Edited by Dude-

I run about 37-39 on the CPU. When I have been OCing, it may get up o 42. (air only)

Usually about 35 on the mobo.

37 on the GPU.

Hard drives? Slightly warm to touch, too lazy to measure the temp.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as some of those temps go...I just don't buy it...What utility are you guys using??? A 7800GT that runs 47 under load...nope...unless liquid cooled.

I've used all types of mobos and procs and vid cards...

My experience, AMD runs much cooler than Intel, and older NVidia cards run cooler than ATI...that said..

I have a coolermaster stacker case (lots of room and air) with 2) 120mm fans (in and out) and 2 80mm fans (in and out)...I keep rig in my basement which never gets above 75 degrees.

Now my old rig with an overclocked 6800GT ran really cool (had an arctic cool NV silencer on it)...55 deg under load for vid card.

Mobo (Asus A8V) ran about 30 idle and 35-38 under load.

Proc (Athlon 64 4000+ OC'd to 2.6ghz) ran about 35-37 idle, and 47-49 load.

New rig is same stuff except new MOBO and new vid card.

Asus A8N32-Sli deluxe mobo runs about 8-10 degrees hotter!

eVGA 7900GT KO superclocked vid card runs about 46deg idle and 79 under top load!

That is hot...

must rethink cooling options.

Dunlavy,

I have three raptors...they do audibly "click" before power down or hibernate...that is just parking of the read/write heads ont he drive. If they start to do it all the time, then you've got probs...I had that once. WD has had some recalls for stuff like that.

(edited)

the thing with your mobo and cpu temps is that they're completely different parts with different sensors. also, completely different chipsets. the nivida chipset runs hot but with the 8 phase power your circuitry and cpu should run cooler. again the sensors are different so you can't really compare. also, via is known for low power consumption (cooler running).

your 7900gt sounds a bit warm but remember the cooler on it sucks. my x1800xt pe runs about the same temps but the cooler is a dual slot and much better at moving air.

Edited by Cujo

Dunlavy,

I have three raptors...they do audibly "click" before power down or hibernate...that is just parking of the read/write heads ont he drive. If they start to do it all the time, then you've got probs...I had that once. WD has had some recalls for stuff like that.

Thank you very much for your response, Tek. I was growing concerned for my data despite suffering from no bad sectors - I was hoping that it was just the heads coming to a stop. My previous drive did not do that, though, hence the concern.

Anyone else?

I've got two raptors, and haven't really noticed the click sound, but I haven't been listening for it either. Now I will.

I checked the temps on my 7800GT's (SLI) yesterday after playing CS:S for about 30 minutes and they were at 55C, just FYI...

i don't really shut my computer off so i can't say i've noticed my raptors "clicking".

whudats, did you alt-tab to check it? cause they would fall pretty fast as they downclock to 2d mode when you alt-tab. temps are a very hard thing to compare as everyone has very different setups.

i don't really shut my computer off so i can't say i've noticed my raptors "clicking".

whudats, did you alt-tab to check it? cause they would fall pretty fast as they downclock to 2d mode when you alt-tab. temps are a very hard thing to compare as everyone has very different setups.

No, but next time I will. Thanks...

(edited)

After playing BF2 for 30 or so minutes, I was at 59 and 60 on GPU core temps - alt-tab out.

I woudl agree that temps are very hard to compare because of the difference in systems and setups.

Edited by whudats

(edited)
After playing BF2 for 30 or so minutes, I was at 59 and 60 on GPU core temps - alt-tab out.

I woudl agree that temps are very hard to compare because of the difference in systems and setups.

with a simple alt-tab your temps could fall at least 10c instantly. i know mine do. my fan immediately stops spinning as fast when i alt-tab. best thing to do is run something like speed fan or ati tool (or the nvidia version) in the background so you can see what your max is.

Edited by Cujo

with a simple alt-tab your temps could fall at least 10c instantly. i know mine do. my fan immediately stops spinning as fast when i alt-tab. best thing to do is run something like speed fan or ati tool (or the nvidia version) in the background so you can see what your max is.

10C instantly??? Never seen that, ever. I typically lose 1 deg every 1-2 seconds as soon as I'm alt-tabbed out of graphics heavy game.

(edited)

10C instantly??? Never seen that, ever. I typically lose 1 deg every 1-2 seconds as soon as I'm alt-tabbed out of graphics heavy game.

for sure it happens. the same happens with my cpu. though it really depends how efficient the cooler is. my cpu temps drop from 38 to 32 instantly coming off load and within two seconds are back at my 30c idle temp.

Edited by Cujo