Anyone remember BBS text games?

Batman

(edited)

The post here in ChitChat about Werewolf a text based forum game, got me strolling down memory lane. I ran a C-Net BBS on my Commodore 64 computer from 1982-1990. In that time I fell in love with several BBS Text games such as "Empire", "Legend of the Red Dragon" (L.O.R.D.), "Trade Wars" etc... The great thing about it was that eveyone on your BBS had so many turns per day, you would try to grow your Empire adding surfs to plant crops, to make money, and to attack fellow BBS'ers.. You could upgrade your armor, and weapons.. Does anyone remember these games at all? Anyone used to love them as much as me??

Edited by Batman

I used to play the space one.....can never remember the name although I've mentioned it several times....diff planets, mining for resources, setting up mines in dead ends so you can leave your ship, etc...

(edited)

I used to play that nuclear fallout one, where you wandered a post-nuclear war landscape killing things (or getting killed by things).

*Edit: It was called Land of Devastation.

Edited by ScubaDan

Wow, I totally forgot about L.O.R.D. I loved that game. That and Trade Wars. Played them on a bunch of local BBS's way back when.

Let's see, Duck Hunt, Truck Stop, Forgotten Realms (Legend), Pegasus, Compustuff were all local bbs's I used to play games on. Was also a good way to get game demos too. Wolf 3D, Commander Keen, and prolly a ton of others that I still have kicking around on floppy disks. Yeah, the old demo's used to fit on a 3 1/2" 1.44 meg floppy (often more than one per disk, lol)

Someone posted this on another forum the other day:

Start run type:

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

Made me think of bbs days of the past.

And yes TW ftw.

oh the BBS world....things were so much simplier back then.

Actually up until last year, my friend was running a server with LORDS on it (the original, not all the fancy ones you see on the net today).

i really miss that game. It was addicting.

I still have my tape drive!! Dunno what I'm still doin with it, but I have it.

No wonder I can't remember any of my childhood... I spent it all waiting for those tapes to load.

Remember entering pokes and peeks outta those magazines?? All to get a sprite from 1 side of the screen to the other?? Talk about inefficient.