Too late for DX9?

VooDooPC

(edited)

I've been thinking about buying a new graphics card but it will have to be DX9, partly because DX10 isn't out yet, and the other part being because I am slightly lacking money. I know alot of people say, "wait for DX10", but even when DX10 does come out, not only will I not be able to afford a reasonable DX10 graphics card, I won't even be able to afford Windows Vista.

I'd much rather have a fast DX9 card than a slow DX10 card. I hope that makes sense. I'd be more than happy playing games like Oblivion or FEAR with everything all the way up then seeing DX10 features in games running at 5fps. Crysis, Unreal 3 engine games and Microsoft Flight Sim (I think) are the only games that I am aware of that are going to actually be using DX10. Some of the fancy features Crysis uses aren't even DX10, like sub surface scattering. Thats not even Shader Model 3.0, it's only 2.0, even my X800 can do that. The only thing I can think of that will use DX10 in Crysis is the real-time radiocsity that I have yet to see.

So is it worth it now to buy a fast DX9 card rather then wait for a slower DX10 card? Should I wait for DX10 to come out so the prices of DX9 cards plummet? Do you think the prices will drop before DX10 comes out?

Edited by VooDooPC

yup, dx10 is around the corner with all its bells and whistles.

Should you let that affect your decision? NO WAY.

Say it comes out in 6 months, with new cards right on its heels. The new cards will be the first introductory versions, meaning expensive and the bottom of the new line. You dont want those anyway, so youd wait for the next card revision.

Uses: Lets say the games come out at same time,6 months ( not the couple we have slipping out now, I mean all mainstream games). They will also support 9, maybe even 8.

How much should you worry? CSS is a DX 9 game , and you can run it in dx7. That should give you an idea.

My personal opinion on when a dx10 card will be neccesssay? 2 years min.

(edited)

my x1800xt never goes over 80C! so there!

btw, in the pics of that sapphire card it's exactly the same as mine just with a different sticker on the heatsink. it should bios flash and oc to pe with no problem. 512mb of ram is the benefit. laz's card is quicker then mine in 3dmark 2k6 but they're pretty much hand in hand in most other things.

i was beating him before he oc'ed btw... i'm sure the 512mb helps me when i run cs at 1920x1200.

Edited by Cujo

I listened to a blog rant from a guy connected to MS and it was all about DX10 and hardware upgrade...

He said that since DX10 is connected so intimately with Vista, which isn't going to be out for another 4-5 months (estimate) that DX10 hardware wouldn't even be viable until that time.

He also said that HE would give 9mos to 1year to get out major vista bugs, and allow hardware prices to come down....BEFORE investing in any new vid card that supports DX10....let alone before buying and installing Vista.

STraight from horses mouth.

My dual pcix16 256 7800gt's kick seriouse butt. On GC severs I run about 140 fps average. Have seen as high as 185. :D

rev, it doesn't matter what your max or avg is. smooth cs:s is all about keeping your min up.