Work thread 11/6

Xterminator

i'm busy debating the goodness of peet's coffee with coworkers. they're into this instant flavia (google it) nonsense.

i ate my lunch early, which clearly was a mistake.

i'm also trying to decide if i should stay a full 8 or duck out before the 6 hour mark.

i made a friend in england. his company incorrectly tagged our mailservers as spam. we sorted that out, and then he left. they're a couple hours ahead of us or something.

i also helped engineer the back cover off of my coworker's razer phone. we didn't clear the proper paperwork with HR, but it's our secret.

m2 is mia, and magruter doesn't seem to have a signal from duke's trunk, so i'm really, really bored.

I had the horrors of dealing with XO again today about a faulty T1 line. tickets been opened for almost 3 days, ATT tech's are apparently scared of locked gates on premises and run away in terror of seeing one. Then ATT spends a day looking for a problem on a cable run, when their problem supposedly was their tester was bad, this line doesnt have any problems! :unsure: . and suddenly the T1 runs clean. Couple this with XO losing tickets and liking to wait 12 hours before they find a tech that might possibly be able to dispatch in the next few hours...

But in my free time I tested other cell sites t1's and am getting ready for the big RIP project this weekend. Goodbye lucent cell sites, hellooooo Nortel.

Edited by monthos

From my *limited* expirience, i would rather deal with nortel equipment, and their support, than lucent. When our voicemail platform's management interface took a dump during an upgrade (lucent performed it), Lucent took two weeks to get it fixed. Which customer care needed to do simple things like reset peoples password voicemail password. They did find it acceptable for us to do it manually, by finding the box that particular number could be on, out of 4 different ones. and manually changing the password by hand using console ldap management commands.

So I wrote a script to make it easier for me, but it was still a pain to do this for 30-100 accounts a day. Since all of our call center was emailing me...

Yeah, seems there are benefits for working at a smaller company though. I get to have my hands in a little of everything we do here, so I get to learn alot. Im still too new in the industry to be highly usefull except for a lacky, but with time I should be a valuable asset.

Did my first major mistake late last week. took down a few sites by accident, since two were microwaved off and sharing same t1. I took the first guy in the chain offline by mistyping some information in the base station database for a different site. I learned alot though, and can say I wont make that mistake again :)

/The sites were low volume sites, used only for connecting coverage area between columbus and cincinatti, along I-71. Hence why they were microwaved instead of having dedicated t1's of their own.

Ive been at a new job for 3 months now, I took a purchasing position with Hillman Fasteners.. Im on the phone all day with salesmen, I spend thousands of dollars every day on nuts and bolts.. If I wernt on the phone all day this job would be boring, so thank goodness for the phone..

Yeah in a sick and sadistic way I enjoy being busy...gets me through the day faster. The worst is when I have to run equipment at a show, then there's absolutely nothing for me to do but sit there watching my equipment, and considering we set everything up properly theres not much for me to do with said equipment.