RPG Roundup

Metallurgic

Well, it depends on which route you want to go...there are several styles of RPG.

I would definitely recommend Anything in the Fallout series if you're looking for a PC RPG. The tactics one really isn't much of an RPG, but Fallout 1 and 2 are both freaking great, if a little old school.

You can't go wrong with Neverwinter Nights....A TON of gameplay means you'll definitely get your money's worth, and the original diamond collection is only $20 I believe.

Some of the old Might & Magic stuff is pretty good, and the new one looks pretty sweet as well...

Umm...Baldrur's Gate I & II and Icewind Dale I & II are very very good. Both Icewind Dale's are some of my favorite RPG's of all time.

Let me know if there's any consoles in the mix.

I have a n64 and ps2, but PC RPGs are what I am after. Also, the combat must be all real-time, which rules out any KOTOR or FF games.

I will definitely look into Baldurs Gate, Icewind and Fallout.

I have Neverwinter nights Platinum Edition, and I just can't get into it.

Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are all very similiar games. So if you didn't enjoy Neverwinter Nights, you may not enjoy the other two.

Gothic 3 is coming out tomorrow, there's a demo out now, so you can see if you like it or not. It's very similar to Elder Scrolls.

Titan Quest is just like Diablo but in Egypt Mythical times.

Fallout 1 and 2 are definitely two of my top favorite games ever made, but they are turned based, which you might not like.

I thought FFXII had real-time combat. Unless it's some weird turn-based real-time hybrid thing.

Yeah that about sums it up... it seems real time but there is still the turn based status bar thing going on... if that makes any sense. But it is a pretty sweet game so far.

I thought FFXII had real-time combat. Unless it's some weird turn-based real-time hybrid thing.

Yeah that about sums it up... it seems real time but there is still the turn based status bar thing going on... if that makes any sense. But it is a pretty sweet game so far.

I'm really, REALLY hating the battle system right now. It's boring and plays itself, just like FFXI. It's cool how your party runs around with you though.

If you're looking for a cool RPG, there's always the one that I'M making. :)

yoar6.th.jpg

yo2dk8.th.jpg

yo3dh2.th.jpg

if you don't like NWN then there isn't much hope for you.

:)

and I will support the fact that Fallout 1 and 2 are some of the best RPGs ever made. You have to be able to handle the old-school-ness of it but they have a great sense of humor and great gameplay.

Saris, what are you developing that RPG in? I've always been interested in game design but never had the guts to actually make my own game.

Actually Buldrur's Gate and Icewind Dale play very differently from NWN

You're controlling a party, not just one person, and the story line is more quickly paced.

It's easier to get into, in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with Fallout

KOTOR isn't strictly turn-based, and it's not strictly real time either....have you tried it?

Maverick' date='Nov 14 2006, 10:04 AM' post='376459']

Actually Buldrur's Gate and Icewind Dale play very differently from NWN

You're controlling a party, not just one person, and the story line is more quickly paced.

It's easier to get into, in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with Fallout

KOTOR isn't strictly turn-based, and it's not strictly real time either....have you tried it?

I tried it, but as soon as I fought the first enemy, I knew I wouldn't like the game. Having to pause, and then select different combat options is lame IMO.

Yea, it's RPG Maker Xp. And the game is due out some time in 2009. :biglaugha:

There is a legal version on download.com for $30, I think. Or you can search for the free, fan-translated version which is much better anyway, called Postality Knight's edition. Make sure you get 2.0

Unless you have some artistic background, you can expect to not make games any better than SNES-quality with it, but it's really easy.

But really, if I work hard enough on it, I can be done in 2-4 months.

Yea, it's RPG Maker Xp. And the game is due out some time in 2009. :biglaugha:

There is a legal version on download.com for $30, I think. Or you can search for the free, fan-translated version which is much better anyway, called Postality Knight's edition. Make sure you get 2.0

Unless you have some artistic background, you can expect to not make games any better than SNES-quality with it, but it's really easy.

But really, if I work hard enough on it, I can be done in 2-4 months.

I have 2000, 2003, and XP. I think I'm set :D

too bad I can't make any good games.

Maverick' date='Nov 14 2006, 03:14 PM' post='376553']

WoW

yes, play WoW

WoW is not a role playing game. It's a "run around and hack stuff up" game.

And the OP mentioned the diablo series, which is just about as much "run around and hack stuff up" as you can get. WoW is a great game if you feel like putting in the time/effort at the high end to continue improving your character. Me? I'm waiting for the new pvp patch to change it away from the ranking system.

Anyways, FF12 is good. The combat is semi-real-time. Every action has a set amount of time it takes to prepare it so it kind of feels turn based. But I don't know of any action-rpg that doesn't use a similar time=turn basis.

I wouldn't mind that kind of gameplay. As long as the fighting doesn't physically stop (like in kotor) it's fine with me. I have been playing Diablo II since the original demo, so needless to say I'm a bit biased. :D

If we're still talking about FF12 and whether or not the combat stops. I think its only fair to fully explain it.

First of all. There is the Gambit system. This basically lets you set up rules that your party members will act on. Be it attacking a nearby enemy or casting heal on an ally whos hp reaches a certain level. These are all done in real time throughout combat.

Secondly, theres an option "Battle Mode" which can either be "Wait" or "Active". With "Wait", gambits and actions are all done in real time. However, whenever you press the X button to bring up a menu to choose an action manually, combat stops until you've made a choice. With "Active" combat doesn't stop even while you're choosing your actions. Allies and enemies will go about their normal activities while you make your decision.

From what you've said, "Active" seems like your cup of tea. Although, I'm quite willing to bet that the game will be more difficult with this setting.

Also, whenever you do a mist quickening (special attack that uses all mp), it kind of stops combat. You enter this seperate mode where timing, luck, and some small amount of strategy comes into play to determine how much damage you do to the enemy.

Think that about covers it.