PS3's killer app

anonymo

This is why I hate the few people who go totally nuts over this stuff. They make gamers look worse than they're already shown to be and it gives people like Jack Thompson more things to complain about. The GTA reference in the second article wasn't right at all.

Look on ebay an see what people are trying to get out of the PS#, click highest priced, an army guy posted pics of him trying to get $100,000 out of a 20gb PS3.....what a loser, and if thats not bad enough there is one person wanting 1 million or best offer? and then theres the red cross guy......

PS3 is over priced, and over rated, I thought the people paying $600 were dumb, but then all the idiots on ebay that were paying $5-6k for one. and some even $10k but I dont think those people were really intending to pay.

Paying $10,000 for a PS3 I can't see, but paying $10,000 for a tricked-out computer...maybe.

exactly. what computer can you get for 10,000?

A very nice one. Quad-core, quad-sli, 8 gigs of ram, 4 150gb raptors, high-end watercooling.

Simply put, you get more performance per dollar on a PC than a console...anyday.

I would love to see some true framerate vs. resolution vs. display option benchmarks.

If I can play FEAR or any other top title at 1600 X 1200 resolution with all settings at MAX on a $1500 computer that I can upgrade later...why the heck would I buy a console?

$600 for a one chance deal? The PS3 cell processor is quite powerful and has only one purpose...game play, however the max resolution is already set (if you have the TV for it) at 1080P...that is still less resolution than a game at 16 x 12 or 1920 x 1200...not only that, but you are stuck at that res for the life of the product.

gimmee an upgradable PC any day.

If I can play FEAR or any other top title at 1600 X 1200 resolution with all settings at MAX on a $1500 computer that I can upgrade later...why the heck would I buy a console?

You don't have to upgrade a console. If you are a teenager or a poor college student, and don't have money to upgrade a PC every year or every few years, you are much better off buying a console. If the PS3 lasts for six years like the PS2 did, and if you were to upgrade your PC every three years you would probably be paying more than two to three times as much as a PS3.

If you're an adult and have money, there's no real reason to buy a console, unless you have no idea how to use or upgrade a computer. I think the people who know how to upgrade a computer and know how to buy reasonable computer parts is a much smaller percent of the population than people who will just buy a console for games and buy an E-machines/HP as their computer.

That's my unbiased (I think) opinion anyway. :)

Simply put, you get more performance per dollar on a PC than a console...anyday.

I would love to see some true framerate vs. resolution vs. display option benchmarks.

$600 for a one chance deal? The PS3 cell processor is quite powerful and has only one purpose...game play, however the max resolution is already set (if you have the TV for it) at 1080P...that is still less resolution than a game at 16 x 12 or 1920 x 1200...not only that, but you are stuck at that res for the life of the product.

gimmee an upgradable PC any day.

You're forgetting that some games only come out for consoles. By going PC only, you're missing out on Final Fantasy, Halo, God of War, etc.

Yah, console prices are getting nuts. But I think thats due to the level of technology in them. They are starting to approach pc's made for gaming.

Will they ever compare with a pc in a straight up power test? Of course not. Consoles will always be behind, its the software that people buy them for.

Myself, I have a gaming pc, ps2, xbox360, ps3(ordered), and I plan to buy a Wii. Why? Because there are enough games (or I expect there to be) on each of those platforms thats its worth it to me to have them. Also, I work in the games industry and I can sort of rationalize my expenditure as market research.

Yea its crazy. Why cant some people just wait a few months to grab one? Shooting people, riots and robberies over ps3's?! Thats why Im all for preordering. But there werent anyone I could find preordering. If I were a walmart exec I would tell Sony either we get enuff for the demand or we stop selling anything Sony till we do. But thats just me

While I agree with some of your points Voodoo...for me (I've built every PC I've ever owned) consoles are just different. They have exclusive games that you can't get on PC. You can (comfortably) play from your couch. It's a different experience, I can't really put my finger on it but I'm sure others will concur.

I agree, 'mo. Personally, I'm more of a PC guy, especially since I'm really into the old adventure and strategy games anyway (Sam and Max is out again, btw!). However, I do enjoy the consoles for some of the games that only come out on console, which is big.

I also enjoy the multiplayer capability in a different way than I enjoy the same feature on the PC -- Four guys, one setup, everyone can sit drinking whatever is age-appropriate, and if someone pulls a cheap stunt they're close enough to hit. I also enjoy the occasional impromptu LAN, but that requires a whole extra level of setup and such. I can bring a controller to a friend's house easily. I can bring my computer as well...it's just not as easy as grabbing a controller and walking out the door.

Of course, there's something to be said about how much I hate "screenwatchers" and how vehemently console gamers defend the practice, but I digress.

While I agree with some of your points Voodoo...for me (I've built every PC I've ever owned) consoles are just different. They have exclusive games that you can't get on PC. You can (comfortably) play from your couch. It's a different experience, I can't really put my finger on it but I'm sure others will concur.

I agree, however, as of late I've really gotten into RTS, FPS, and RPG games which for the most part I prefer on the PC.