Who has dish?

Magruter

After my last ordeal with my cable server provider, I'm considering on making the switch to dish. Which do you use; dish network/directv? What are the advantages/disadvantages? What services are they providing? How are the CSR?

I'm sure everyone's experiences vary, but we're currently on Dish Network and when our contract expires I don't expect we'll ever go back to them.

1 faulty install

2 faulty master receivers

Water leaked into the "signal collecting bit" on the dish twice after heavy rain and we had to have that replaced

General intermittent loss of signal (I don't believe the weather effects cable)

As I say, I'm sure a lot of people never have a problem with them, but from my experience I won't use them again.

On the customer service side, it's never been terrible, but never a quick fix to our problems.

I don't have it, but I know people who do and a few things you would probably expect. Weather, of course, will get in the way a lot. From what I've heard clouds and stormy weather block the signal fairly well so the picture isn't very clear. Then there are problems like Leveller mentioned. And what do you use for internet?

I'm keeping my cable internet, but dropping my cable tv. My internet has been fine, but the TV was horrible. Who shows up at 9:00 pm for a service call that takes an hour. And the biggest thing is that didn't call up before hand. I had to call 4 times just to see if they didn't forget about me. Then the last person i spoke with wouldn't connect me to a manager, and kept saying yes sir, yes sir, yes sir... I was blowing up last night. GG Charter.

I've been very happy with DirectTV, or Dave as they say.

My only complaint has been the slow roll out of local HD over sat. But, then again, this is as much the FCC's fault (and local broadcasters) as it is any sat companies.

Plus, DTV now has a Titanium package. For like 7500 bucks a year, you get everything. All channels, pay-per-view... everything. just too much money, in my opinion.

I've had DirecTV for 6+ years now. I won't go back to cable. Here's the main selling point for DirecTV over Dish- NFL Sunday Ticket(If you watch that much football).

I've got the DirecTV HD setup and I've been quite happy with it. I'm no longer under a contract with them either so I can drop them at any time. But I won't since I've been quite pleased with them. They did just recently add a couple of our local HD channels to the satellite. But you have to change receivers. And I don't want to. Besides I pick up the local HD channels great with the off-air antennae DTV installed. Looks like I have ET sitting on the corner of my house. :D

i've had directv and dish. money aside, directv was a better overall experience.

but mags, if you cancel your cable tv, will your cable internet go up? most companies around here bundle and discount the two. if you cancel one, the other usually goes up. might be worth checking.

Well, I have had cable, Direct TV, and Dish. Over all I have found very little difference in both customer service, or picture quality with Direct and Dish. Cable has by far the most problems of the three. I live in the mountains with lots of fog, freezing rain, and snow. With Dish Network the only time I have issues with the signal is when the dish gets covered by more than 1" of snow or ice. The bundled programming packages are reasonable, and the on screen navagation is very simple. For me, if I needed to choose between Dish Network and Direct TV, my discision would be based on cost, because they are so similar in both performance and programming.

Wow looks like dish network is going to be the winner. They are 35.96 a month and that give us a DVR with capabilites of use in 2 rooms. 200+ channels, HD. etc... And a 30 days cancelation period with full refurnd. Direct tv has none of that.... I'm not signing a 2 year contract without testing the equipment out.

No Mag, I don't have the DVR. Personally, I never cared for the Dish Network Interface(on-screen menu). Always seemed complicated/odd to me. Found the DirecTV Interface quite user-friendly. BTW yes you can get DVR thru either one, but there is a monthly fee for it. Just like with HD there is a monthly fee for the HD programming. So that 35.96 a month will be a upwards of 50 a month.

DirectTV

Yeah the HD and DVR... has a 2 year contract...

What I looked at was the bare basics for 3 rooms: They had a $10 deal currently... my parents are looking to Dtv for the international channels.

-$40 for total choice (155 channels)

-$49 for total choice plus (185 channels) and 1 free year subcription of "Star" or "Showtime"

There's a 7day trail period upon activation

calling dish network right now...

dish network doesn't have the Jade Channel East or West... i'm stuck with Direct TV.

Edited by EbilDustBunny

DirectTV

What I looked at was the bare basics for 3 rooms: They had a $10 deal currently... my parents are looking to Dtv for the international channels.

-$49 for total choice plus (185 channels) and 1 free year subcription of "Star" or "Showtime"

dish network doesn't have the Jade Channel East or West... i'm stuck with Direct TV.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you're after Chinese channels some are broadcast over the web as well.

I've used wwitv a couple of games to find obscure sports I can't get on regular US stations, may be worth a look.

wwitv

DirectTV

Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you're after Chinese channels some are broadcast over the web as well.

I've used wwitv a couple of games to find obscure sports I can't get on regular US stations, may be worth a look.

wwitv

my mom wants it... i don't think her knows how to use a pc....

my friend told me about getting free channels buy getting like a FTA reciever... he says it's legal but it doesn't sound too right... plus i'd like to avoid having to to any wiring.

My dad has a dish. The disadvantages for him are definately the fact that you watch TV if the weather wants you to, sometimes there isnt even cloud cover, and he loses the signal. The advantages... a bunch of channels.

I have Dish Netowrk now for about 2 years. I switched from Direct tv becase if it rained or there was a cloud in the sky I lost my reception.....parents had the same problem. they were a couple bucks cheaper at the time.

I have the HD setup and DVR which is built into the reciever. Only have 1 reciever to control 2 tv's and can record 2 shows at once. I like the setup.....

I've always had cable. The one time it went out it was because the digital receiver broke. I called Cox and they sent a guy over to replace it the next business day (this happened on a Sunday). The only thing I don't like is I don't get a couple of channels that I'd like to have such as the Ohio News Network (Columbus Crew games) and Versus (NHL...I can only watch the Blue Jackets and they suck!!) I'll take not having a couple of channels over outages whenever there's cloud cover though, especially since it's always cloudy in Cleveland.

(edited)

We switched to Dish Network almost a year ago. I'll give you a run down in the fastest way I know how:

The Good of Dish v. Cable

1. DVR is one of the best things ever invented - you can kiss the VCR goodbye!
  2. Better picture - I kid you not!
  3. Cheaper (I pay $50 a month for 180 channels w/ local tv; cable was around 55)
  4. More variety (180 channels to 60 Cable - which includes 5 channels of an old women sitting in her rocker reading the bible - so really 55 cable)
  5. You can see what is going to be one weeks in advance - w/ cable you need to buy a TV Guide
  6. Recording something has never been so easy (Did I mention the DVR?)

The Bad of Dish v. Cable

1. It can go out in a storm (I should note, it has only gone out about a minute before we lose electricity, I would honeslty consider this arguement as void, but thought I should mention it does happen, even if it rare.)
  2. There is an 18month contract to start the Dish

The Good of Dish Network v. Direct TV

1. Cheaper!
  2. I like the menu set up better
  3. You can get all the NBA games(I've never tried it - and it does cost more)
  4. You can get all the NHL games (I've never tried it - and it does cost more)
  5. You can get some college football package (I've never tried it - and it does cost more.)

The Bad of Dish to Direct TV

1. No Sunday Ticket (I think this is what makes Dish cheaper)

The wife and I have marked Dish Network as the best decision we made this year. It has saved us $ and time (we watch TV faster; we record most of our shows and watch them that way). Truth be told, I would do it 10 times over.

BTW, if you decide on Dish, find a friend who has it and you can get a discount for 10 months - and get a free install and equipment.

Edited by duma

I've had DirectTv for gosh...12 years now.

I picked it up for Sunday Ticket cause it was much cheaper and safer than driving home from bars after the games.

I have been very happy with it all said. I've now got 2 dvr's but have not yet upgraded to HD. I believe the 750 hour DVR is the HD DVR. Thats only if you record non-HD all the time. My DVR does 70 hours of programming. Course Mine is 100 bucks and the HD is 600.

I don't use the PPV and have no movie channels. Guess my only complaint is that they still charge $5/room after the first. So, I pay $5 for my 2nd receiver and $5 for Tivo. Also...the Tivo is the first edition so you can't connect the Tivo boxes over your network.

Weather...I probably notice a drop in service 4 times a year for a short time during the worst storms. One nice thing is it comes back quick...not like having to wait a week for the cable repair guy to come out:)