Sending Large files over the net?

Magruter

Can anyone help me out? I'm looking to send a 40 gig file to someone. Rather than take 10 dvd's and burn it how do i send it over the net? I doesn't matter if it take a few hours. Are there any programs out there? I know of FTP but have no clue how to set one up.

To move 40 gigs you're looking at about half a day if you have 10mbps upstream. Your best bet is probably to burn it to DVDs and send them in the mail. If you need to move it over the Internet, you'll want a program that can resume the transfer if it gets interrupted. The only thing I could personally recommend is DirectConnect (dcpp.net), which is not very user-friendly but is pretty reliable. I'll be on AIM later if you want to have a go at that.

40G is a very large file (if it is indeed a single file) many applications may have a 4G filesize limit. You may need to rar the file and then split it into more manageable chunks. If it's several files then you may be ok.

1) FTP You should be able to find a free FTP server to run on your computer. The person on the other end would need a decent FTP client to download it. I know windows comes with a command line FTP client, but I don't know if it supports auto resume etc. I've used ncftp under *nix as a client, it works pretty well. You may be able to get a decent free ftp server using something like Cygwin.

2) scp - scp is short for secure copy. It is related to ssh (secure shell). Again, you'd need to get an ssh server running on your box. Cygwin should have one available. WinSCP is a great client, supports auto-resume, bandwidth throttling etc.

3) Run a webserver on your desktop (apache is free) and make that file available via the webserver. The other end could retrieve the file using a web-browser.

4) rsync over ssh - this one is a little more complicated, but if you're transferring a large directory of files it is a very good way to go. (I use this to backup my windows box to my linux box). Rsync is a program designed to keep two directories syncronized. You can tell it to transfer the files via ssh (or rsh). It supports md5sums after copy (to ensure nothing got corrupted) as well as partial file completeion.

If you have a directory of files you want to copy to another computer I'd definately go with rsync. The scenario where this works well is:

You have a directory of files a friend of yours wants. You may add files to that directory over time, your friend would want those too. Rsync is smart enought to only transfer the missing/updated files. Good way to share out directories of pictures etc.

I've only tried to do any of this type of stuff with *nix, under windows Cygwin is a great way to get unix like functionality on your desktop. Most, if not all, of the things I mentioned above are available for free using Cygwin.

buy a hard drive. put it on there. send it in the mail. then get the person to send it back once they take the data. then you have a new hard drive for your computer.

thats what i was gunna say. You can get an 80 gig for $40

you could always torrent it. if it's not something private then you could post it up on some torrent site. or even host your own torrent server. i can't believe no one else thought of this. then you can stop when you want to play cs and then start it up again when you're done.

you could always torrent it.
i just got done talking mags through router pinholes 101, and utorrent 201. he already went on to creating torrents, but we're not quite to public trackers.

soapy is next, but he always tries to talk quantum physics instead of port forwarding. :bang: