My New Beast of a PC

Metallurgic

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although SLI is tempting, it just isn't worth it to me. I'd rather replace the 8800 with something insane next year.

The PSU will have to do; it's already been shipped! :biglaugha:

you end up going with the 650w?

Update!

I was so excited about building it that I didn't get a chance to take many before photos. Here are a few shots that I just took. Note: I haven't had much of a chance to do some cable management, so it might look a bit messy inside.

Here are a few benchmarks to accompany the pictures:

3D Mark 2006 (free version on default settings) score = 10222

Source Stress Test on Max Settings (average fps) = 249

100_1990res.jpg

100_1989res.jpg

100_1991res.jpg

100_1992res.jpg

100_1993res.jpg

100_1994res.jpg

Final Setup:

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4

8800 gtx superclocked

OCZ 2gb ddr2 800 RAM

Antec Performance 180 case

Antec 650w PSU

ASUS P5N-E SLI Mainboard

(edited)

The case is by far my favorite part. It is almost silent, except for a high cfm fan I have inside.

I have a few questions for you 8800 owners:

How do you monitor your GPU and CPU temps? I tried Everest, but I know it's wrong. It reports 15c for my cpu.

Does anyone use the Nvidia tuning application for tuning your rig? I used it, and it seemed to make a rather large difference in WoW (almost 20fps or more).

Is there anything you guys would reccomend for me to do to make my 8800 or c2d perform its best? I really don't know much about them.

By the way, thanks for everyone who helped me out! I love my new pc. It should last for a couple years. :D

Edited by Metallurgic

I'm not sure which you mean. There is a separate 4 pin connector (that can be seen in the 3rd picture to the upper left of the cpu). There is also a 4 pin connector that pairs with the standard 20 pin to make a wide 24 pin connector. I didn't need any adapters for anything, luckily.

Oh ok. It's not on that board then. Some of the newer boards take an 8pin instead of a 4pin. That 4 pin is the one i was talking about.

The more I look at that case, the more I like it! :D

Is that a soundcard in your lowest pci slot?

Also, I noticed this and was wondering about it - that board tells you to put 1 stick of ram in yellow and one in black? I thought it was usually just yellow and yellow, then add black after. Though, with my amount of experience, that doesnt mean much :P

Edited by DarkArchon

Oh ok. It's not on that board then. Some of the newer boards take an 8pin instead of a 4pin. That 4 pin is the one i was talking about.

The more I look at that case, the more I like it! :D

Is that a soundcard in your lowest pci slot?

Also, I noticed this and was wondering about it - that board tells you to put 1 stick of ram in yellow and one in black? I thought it was usually just yellow and yellow, then add black after. Though, with my amount of experience, that doesnt mean much :P

The soundcard is an Audigy 4.

Some manufacturers differ. After building my friend's pc, we found out that on his mobo (MSI socket 939) that if you match colors, it's single channel. But if you alternate colors, it enables dual channel. It was one of the first things I checked after booting it up. I went into CPUz and verified that it was running in dual channel.

The mobo manual usually has these configurations listed (although the diagram from my asus board was a bit ambiguous in terms of memory configurations.)

i'd almost just use the onboard audio and scrap the audigy 4. the hi def audio is supposed to be pretty sweet.

I was thinking about that, but I wasn't sure. I'll do some research. Onboard would help, because I believe the front audio ports could be used with my motherboard. My Audigy doesn't even have the same plug form factor as the cable from my case. :boo:

Cable management is going to be tough in this case, there is only one real place I can stuff the unused cables that won't restrict airflow.

Lots of my psu cables are behind my motherboard, between the plate it screws into and the side of the case. The rest are tucked in with those zip-lock type cable thingies inside the support bar that runs the length of the case.

If I was you i think i'd run the cables up the side of all those casing pieces toward the front of your case... but that's just me.

What's the side panel look like? The one you took off?

• 1 month later...

This is for Metal, Cujo, or anyone else who has built with that Antec P180 case:

I just ordered this case for myself to move my system into a cooler, quieter home. I've read up a bunch on it and got some helpful install tips, but I was wondering if you guys had any of your own helpful install tips, especially pertaining to cable management with that case. From everything I've read, that is the biggest concern with the PSU on the bottom design. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated :D

Here's what I'm moving into the new case:

Asus P5B ATX motherboard

Intel E6600

evga 7800gt

Lite-on DVD +/- R/RW

WD 200GB SATA2

Antec NeoHe 550W (modular)

No other PCI cards atm, but I could see adding maybe a sound card down the road. I am also planning on upgrading my graphics to 8800 or ati equivalent in the coming months, so I need to account for dual slot video card with the cables.

Thanks guys!

I would highly recommend putting your hard drives in the top compartment if you can. Unfortunately this was impossible for me since my 8800 is so incredibly long. I had to put my raptors in the lower compartment, which was a bit of a pain, because the sata power/data cables were extremely close to hitting the fan located between the drives and the psu. I was forced to zip tie them in multiple spots to prevent them from hitting the fan blades.

antec.jpg?t=1174593364

Here you can see how close the hard drives are to the fan. This was the biggest pain, but you might be able to avoid it.

i would recommend the opposite. put the hdds on the bottom to allow max air flow from the intake fan to the vid card(s). you really don't need the fan on the bottom unless you have like 3 hdds down there.

Yeah, I was considering putting my one (1) hard drive in the lower bay and maybe pulling the lower fan and putting it in the place of the upper HD cage for intake air for the video card. Only thing I'm not sure of is if there will be much airflow at all in the lower chamber since my PS only has the one 80mm exhaust fan... not sure how much air in the case it would move. Thanks guys!