My New Beast of a PC

Metallurgic

I have done my best to help you guys out on some tech questions, so now it's time to help me! I plan on building a new system very soon, and don't want to spend over $2,000.00 including shipping.

Below is a list of components that I have been wanting for some time. Most of them are top of the line, so there is plenty of room for flexibility as far as prices go. Tell me what you think!

evga 8800 GTX $579.99

2 gb OCZ ddr2 800 RAM$245.99

ASUS P5N-E SLI mainboard$139.99

Western Digital 500gb sata 3.0gbps Hard Drive$149.99

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz cpu$509.99

Antec TruePower 550w PSU$99.99

Lian Li Full Tower aluminum case$219.99

Grand Total (excluding shipping)------$1945.93

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done my best to help you guys out on some tech questions, so now it's time to help me! I plan on building a new system very soon, and don't want to spend over $2,000.00 including shipping.

Below is a list of components that I have been wanting for some time. Most of them are top of the line, so there is plenty of room for flexibility as far as prices go. Tell me what you think!

evga 8800 GTX $579.99

2 gb OCZ ddr2 800 RAM$245.99

ASUS P5N-E SLI mainboard$139.99

Western Digital 500gb sata 3.0gbps Hard Drive$149.99

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz cpu$509.99

Antec TruePower 550w PSU$99.99

Lian Li Full Tower aluminum case$219.99

Grand Total (excluding shipping)------$1945.93

sweet looking setup! The only thing I would question is the need for the E6700, when the E6600 is $250+ cheaper and is not much of a performance drop on stock. You could easily save some coin and get the E6600. It's a champ at overclocking too if you find you need more speed than 2.4GHz stock.

But if you don't mind spendin the money, then more power to you! :D

I'm so jealous of you people getting the 8800s..... seems like only yesterday when my 7800gt was near-top-of-the-line :(

go with the 6600, also get a nice aftermarket heatsink so you can overclock it nicely.

with that extra 200 you save on getting the 6600 you can get a 74gb raptor and have that be the OS/games hd then the 500gb can be your media drive, just a thought.

I would possibly think about upgrading to 700w on the psu, dont know for sure but i have a 750w with my 8800gtx and c2d.

looks like you got your tax refund :P

That raises another question: On my current setup, I am using dual 74gb Raptors in raid 0, but they are only 1.5gbps. What advantages or disadvantages would that create?

Another thought: I chose this mobo simply because it uses an Nvidia chipset, is quad core compatible, and I can expand to dual 8800's later on.

What kind of PSU would I potentially need for a dual 8800 and quad core setup?

Alright, I have decided that dual video cards just isn't worth it. I still like the ability to go quad core in the future, and I won't need a psu that powerful for just that. What about my raptors? Should I rip them out of my old system and run my OS of of them?

i think your raptors will be faster but also wait for cujo i believe you should upgrade your psu no matter what, i dont know if 550w will be enough.

to let you know, the 8800gtx uses alot of power. 2 pci-e adapters get plugged into it.

(edited)

Alright, but I don't want to go crazy on the price either, while still sticking with name brand.

A friend of mine is using a 440w psu with his 8800 and a 2.6 amd x2. I think 550w will be fine, but I really should go higher just to futureproof. I would hate to have to buy another PSU if I ever went quad core.

Edited by Metallurgic

(edited)
This one is $10 more for a 100W more. I used this one for my new comp a month ago.

Antec 650W

Mini's only hassle with it when building my comp was that it wasn't modular, so all the extra cables had to be tied off.

Awesome PSU. I'll replace the other one on my list with that one right away.

I have always loved this case. Good cooling design, front ports, durable, filters and not to mention a good price. Might be a bit small, but I think the layout will offer better organization than most cases in its class.

Edited by Metallurgic

Go with the 6600...at 2.4, b/c you can overclock the hell outta it...plus you save cash.

Keep the vid card.

Antec (as well as others, like OCZ) has a larger psu for not much money...check it out...get at least a 600 w. make sure your psu has 2 pci-e power connectors...b/c that is was the gpu requires.

you can save money and get a better case...i've used 3 lian-li cases and two coolermasters, as well as sundry others...

Go with the Antec 900 case...great case...it has superior cooling and room etc...

just my 2 pennies...

those core duos OC nicely, go with the 6600. I would also say the raptors are faster because of raid 0. You should throw those raptors in and have them be your main drive. And use the 300Gb as your data drive.

(edited)

basically what everyone else is saying. i would go 6600 and use at least one of your raptors as primary. sata vs sata2 is barely a difference in performance. good swap on the power supply. that p180 case is sweet. i bought my bro that case and that 650w psu for christmas. only thing bad about the case is vid card cooling. make sure you put the hdds down low and leave the mid fan blowing right through the empty cage. oh and it's not small. it's a full tower. 500gb for 150 is rediculous. i'd go for the re2 though as it's like 2 bucks more and has a 5yr warranty vs 3yr. same specs.

sorry for the lack of paragraphs but it'd be crazy long if i used them.

your buddy is crazy to run that on 440w. though a GOOD 550w can power two 8800s in sli and a quad core. usually 650-750w leaves you enough of a safety net though cause you never want to maxxing out all the time. i like my 1000w. i'm sure i'll never need it but it's nice to have.

btw, fyi for you guys. next gen ati cards and i believe also nvidia cards will be using an 8 pin pcie connector instead of 2 6 pin ones.

also, the 6600 is good cause you can bump the fsb to 320 and maintain ddr2 800 on the ram. 2.88ghz with the fsb increase is basically an x6800 for half the price. stock cooling and volts should do that no sweat.

Edited by Cujo

Cujo makes my mouth drop every time.

I would go with a sturdy steel case. Looks aren't too important to me. since I bought a 50 Dollar case at a computer show.

In my experience fancy looking cases always have problems where simple strong cases hold the test of time. (IMO)

If they're going to 8-pin, we'll all have to buy new PSU's to run them? That's kinda rediculous...

they come with adapters. same as current cards come with molex to 6 pin adapters. but ya it's really annoying seeing as i bought a really expensive psu so i could have quad 6 pin connectors.

If they're going to 8-pin, we'll all have to buy new PSU's to run them? That's kinda rediculous...

they come with adapters. same as current cards come with molex to 6 pin adapters. but ya it's really annoying seeing as i bought a really expensive psu so i could have quad 6 pin connectors.

me too :(

oh well no need to get a diff card for a long time :P

Update: I ordered the parts just now, so they should be here next week sometime. I think I am going to document every step of this build, and post pics when I'm done. Thanks for all the input!

Final Price (Including Shipping) $1,662.00

would be really appreciated! :D

Setup looks great to me. Id go with a little bigger ps too. 750watt seems to be a good all around number. If you ever get a second 8800 youll need it. And I too also have 2 7800 gts in sli. Mine run great but cant run dx10. Guess im upgrading soon too. Also everone here that has purchased an 8800 knows that youll need neew power adapters. Hopefully your will come with some if not their not real expensive. :D

Also everone here that has purchased an 8800 knows that youll need neew power adapters. Hopefully your will come with some if not their not real expensive. :D

neg. 8800 uses the regular 6 pin adapters. two of them in fact.