Check out what I taught my dog

NOFX

(edited)

Jake just turned 4 months old and that video is about 2-3 weeks ago. He pretty much learned how to do it in a week.

I showed him what an empty beer can was and would make him bring it to me.. Once he got that down, I would leave the fridge door open and put the empty can on the bottom shelf and not let him get it until I said "go get a beer".

Once he had that down, I stopped for a day or so, then I tied a rag to the door and gave him a treat everytime he would pull the fridge door open. (I had to help him open it a few times, but he realized once it opened he would get a treat).

I let him open the fridge for a day or so. Then I started pointing at the beer can after he opened the door and said "get a beer", he knew what I was talking about and would grab the can and bring it to me.

He's gotten much better now, they are still a little to heavy for him and I have came down stairs to find 4 unopened beers sitting around the couch. But I can be chillin on the couch watching tv and he will run in there and grab me one if I tell him to :)

Edited by NOFX

(edited)

I need to teach him something else, but I can't think of anything. He knows

Sit, Shake, Lay, Stay. He also has bell by the door he rings when he has to go outside.

any cool trick ideas?

He's getting bigger, pretty good size for 4 months

dsc00115hk6.th.jpg

Edited by NOFX

What about "SICK!"

and talking, getting the mail, and the phone.

last night I was trying to teach him how to get me the remote for the TV. I was going pretty good. He learned what it is, but still doesn't know that I want him to bring it to me or anything.

The only problem with teaching him stuff that I use all the time, is when Im away he goes and gets them to chew on. Im guessing when he gets older he will realize that they aren't his chew toys.

(edited)

or he'll drink all your beer... worse - you've expanded the excuses for your roomates.. instead of blaming just farts on the dog they can say "the dog drank all your beer"

"I just figured she was a raging alcoholic"

^name that movie, no googling, go!

Edited by mohawk

Well what my dog trainer once told me is that, having everything that the dog plays with (ball, etc) at an elevated position and only allowing the dog to touch it, but only when you give it to them, the dog will realize sooner or later that it does not belong to him.

So hide your remotes and bolt your fridge shut when your not training him?

What about "SICK!"

and talking, getting the mail, and the phone.

As well as taking out the garbage, mowing the lawn, putting up/taking down the christmas lights.

All household chores from replacing lightbulbs and toilet-paper to paying the bills and ironing your clothes.

You could get him to vacuum, dust, babysit.

You could get him qualified as a masseuse. So you could come home after a long day to a nice massage from your dog.

Show him how to play baseball/foosball/billiards/ping pong/darts/air hockey/soccer for your amusement.

Get him in movie roles to make you millions of dollars.

I have already given this much thought.

Well what my dog trainer once told me is that, having everything that the dog plays with (ball, etc) at an elevated position and only allowing the dog to touch it, but only when you give it to them, the dog will realize sooner or later that it does not belong to him.

So hide your remotes and bolt your fridge shut when your not training him?

You go to dog-training school?

Human school must've been too challenging for TheGeek.