Lord of the Rings Online....

[LaW]Maverick

Ok, so I've always been a hardcore Lord of the Rings geek. Heck, I dominate in Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit...but I've always been more into the books than the movies. Those were some of the best movies based on novels I've ever seen, but nothing quite does it for me like the books do.

Anyway, an interesting thing about this game is that ALL of their licensing is straight out of the books, and they have no rights to use movie content. I think that sounds like a winning combination right there. I think I will definitely give this game a shot as things stand right now. I can't help myself! :-)

Has anyone heard anything 'bout it or did anyone get into the beta?

I haven't heard a word...'course I hardly search the internet for such things...

I really liked the movies, but have yet to read the books (I shall someday).

I've always found books are usually better than their movies counterparts, at least, they are much more immersive.

Hmm, this was a complete tangent!

I'm in the beta right now, but I don't even have it installed. I'm so burnt out on all games right now (including WoW), so I haven't had a chance to reinstall. I can tell you though, that they have their crap together. It looks like a complete game, believe it or not. Graphics look great, lots of options there.

Like I said, I haven't played much into it, but it does look cool. If I wasn't playing WoW, I would definitely get it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to get into the Beta, but haven't heard anything from them yet. From what I hear from others though, it's a great idea, but the character movement still needs to be tweaked a bit.

When is it supposed to come out?

I've been trying to get into the Beta, but haven't heard anything from them yet. From what I hear from others though, it's a great idea, but the character movement still needs to be tweaked a bit.

When is it supposed to come out?

Gamespot estimates around April or May but I predict sometime this summer with normal delays. I think I am in the beta but I'm not sure and will have to try it out as I am also on par with Maverick. I loved the movies and they were great for a movie adaptation, but for me there were some thing that just made the book and lore of LoTR so much greater, including the comic relief by Gimli and Legolas.

Yeah, it'd be good to see some of that humor in the LoTR online game too.

On a related note, I've been playing a lot of LoTR: Battle for Middle Earth II. It's based off the Command & Conquer engine, and it's a blast to play. The music is true to the movie, and there's a lot of added goodies that only the book readers would know about (like Tom Bombadil! How awesome is that?)

Yeah, it'd be good to see some of that humor in the LoTR online game too.

On a related note, I've been playing a lot of LoTR: Battle for Middle Earth II. It's based off the Command & Conquer engine, and it's a blast to play. The music is true to the movie, and there's a lot of added goodies that only the book readers would know about (like Tom Bombadil! How awesome is that?)

No... I meant that the comic relief in LoTR was one of the things I didn't like.

J.R.R. Tolkien Has always been my favourite author. I have read the books

over & over again, the hobbit, the trilogy, and the Silmarilion. I'm pretty deep into

wow ATM but will find it very difficult to pass this when it comes out. If I were

not in wow I would be doing the beta. I'm pretty sure this is the official site

You can join the beta from there anyway.

P.S I'd like to take up that challenge of LOTR trivial pursuit someday. I think I could give you

a run for your money :)

J.R.R. Tolkien Has always been my favourite author. I have read the books

over & over again, the hobbit, the trilogy, and the Silmarilion. I'm pretty deep into

wow ATM but will find it very difficult to pass this when it comes out. If I were

not in wow I would be doing the beta. I'm pretty sure this is the official site

You can join the beta from there anyway.

P.S I'd like to take up that challenge of LOTR trivial pursuit someday. I think I could give you

a run for your money :)

I guess Blizzard is ignoring all the letters I've been writing them about you hacking it up in WoW...maybe they accept bribes...

Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

And trust me Ebil... there are tons of 3rd party MMO's that never made it when the genre started catching on. Matrix Online, Shadowbane, Asheron's Call 1 and 2, World War Online, Horizons: Empire of Istaria, Ryzom, and many others.

I WANT IT

The open Beta starts on March 30th. I got into that by pre-ordering the game at Babbage's (i.e. Gamestop) They give you a free copy for the open beta. I have 11 more days to wait before I can hack it up in Middle Earth!

By the way...Legolas and Gimli comic relief in the movies = not the best, but was needed

Legolas and Gimli from the books = much more clever and entertaining.....for instance, the head-count in the battle for Helms Deep in the book was MUCH better and more detailed

The only thing that bothers me about this game is that it can't be open ended. I mean, there is a beginning, middle, and end to the story line. Unless they begin in the first or second age, they can't drag things on indefinitely, Sauron will eventually take over the world if the One ring is not destroyed. Seems like it would have to be more of a regular chapter game than an open ended free will game. Anyone have more information about that aspect?

Shaftiel

Naw, it's a parallel story, so it could go on beyond the books. That could be VERY interesting because the actions of the fellowship would effect the whole of middle earth, and if they do it right, the story would BECOME open ended once events in the game get past the events in the books. The real question is, do we trust the video-game writers to successfully continue J.R.R. Tolkien's work? :shrug03:

Naw, it's a parallel story, so it could go on beyond the books. That could be VERY interesting because the actions of the fellowship would effect the whole of middle earth, and if they do it right, the story would BECOME open ended once events in the game get past the events in the books. The real question is, do we trust the video-game writers to successfully continue J.R.R. Tolkien's work? :shrug03:

No :(