West

aMnesiac

I personally think if you want traffic you would make West an all custom map or atleast have a lot of custom maps
if we were to ever go that route, we'd need someone who 1) had a personal interest in finding customs 2) had the time to download, zip, and upload those customs and 3) be willing to do 1 + 2 on an ongoing, long term basis.

but at the same time, i don't get why losttemple, nightfever, and kismayo (good customs, imo) are capable of clearing a full server.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played GG on the West yesterday for a few hours and it is fun but it seemed like it was hard to get ppl on and for them to stay. I do prefer GG over zombie though. I do like how the GG is setup as well with the 3 kill per weapon, I havent played it that way anywhere.

dEL :)

I would like to see a gc server like these guys 66.150.164.210:27015 AHP, there like a pub clan or community similar to ours i think, all custom maps, and its pretty clean, not as clean of a server as ours but still relatively clean.

It's easier to run something with 32 players. Many that just like to kill are drawn to the large servers. We could do something like that if I knew we had the funding (if I knew all current GC were renewing, it would be easy to forcast). If GG doesn't take, we can look at that option.

What about combining server funds, rather than have 2-3 servers in the west combine funds for 1 32 man server or something like that? Like the 24/7 D2 aim lab and west server? Just an idea.

dEL

What about combining server funds, rather than have 2-3 servers in the west combine funds for 1 32 man server or something like that? Like the 24/7 D2 aim lab and west server? Just an idea.

dEL

we only pay for immutable; aim lab is being donated by steven @ http://www.insiderhosting.com. unfortunately that server isn't capable of running at a higher capacity, either.

OKay so I have been doing the West GG for the last couple of days and I have stayed on as LONG AS I CAN..YEs I dod like GG but in only small does and once in a blue moon. Traffic has been AHHHH okay at most, and I have spent some time late at night surfing around other servers (12-3am WC time) to see what is popular and have found that:

1. Custom Map Servers

2. Crazy maps with gravity set funny, and lasers shoot out at poeple (have no idead what you call it).

These were 23-24 person servers, and at 2am + still had like 16-18 peeps in it....

I know I could spend a lot more time running around in fun customs then GG until 3am..just can not do it that much, sry.

Note: Many, Many, Many people (regs) i think would be willing to spend more time on west with the idea that it would have some kind of reg map types to them with some custom fun stuff going on. I have fielded a lot of comments in game about a desire to change it.

well, I agree with you DNA. A custom map server would be great! I really enjoy the custom map nights on retro.

So if GG doesn't bring in sufficent numbers during its test period, perhaps we can try West as a custom map server.

Shaftiel

@ DNA + shaftiel:

if we were to ever go that route(customs), we'd need someone who 1) had a personal interest in finding customs 2) had the time to download, zip, and upload those customs and 3) be willing to do 1 + 2 on an ongoing, long term basis.
would you guys be volunteering?

@ DNA + shaftiel:
if we were to ever go that route(customs), we'd need someone who 1) had a personal interest in finding customs 2) had the time to download, zip, and upload those customs and 3) be willing to do 1 + 2 on an ongoing, long term basis.
would you guys be volunteering?

I would be happy to volunteer. I don't know where to start looking for custom maps, or how to dl, zip and upload. If someone can tell me where to look and how to prepare the maps, I'll do it.

But first we need to see if the Gun Game option for West is viable.

Shaftiel

My questions:

1) Does Loki have interest in a 3rd party map server?

2) If so, does Loki have support with other leaders, i.e. SJ's question above? Fast downloads and leadership are critical.

If we have the manpower behind this, I'd be willing to take some risk here and bump up the slots and go balls out on it. This would be on a two month trial basis or so. We'd need the server to create staying-power in members. We keep seeing people into retirement in GC and there won't be a west server at all.....

As long as there's support for 3rd party maps then I'm up for it. I'll teach DNA and Shaftiel how to upload maps if they're willing to search and add them. fpsbanana is a good start for custom maps. There's a map request thread in the aimlab forums that has a few custom map websites linked in there.

As for manpower.. I'm here as long as i'm not at work. That's normally 2 days a week, 3 if i'm filling for others. Hopefully Laz makes his return soon. And volunteers would be helpful.

Edit:

Whenever fatty gives the OK to change to a custom map server i'll set it up. GunGame is basically a for sure small traffic server. So once Fatty OK's this we'll change the server.

We really need to get a grip on who's alive in the west, and who, of that list, is willing to see something like this through.

However, if I assume that anyone inactive enough to not even vote in a POLL LIKE THIS is not going to renew, then this really could be a short lived adventure.

My time is limitted, but I am willing to help with what time I have. I hate to see West go, and if there is a last minute surge to help it, I am want in. My finals are in April, so you have me until about the end of it. After that, I can be on-board and help out more. Just let me know what needs to be done.

DNA
(edited)

You can add me with shaft...I work with SJ on the ftp stuff b4, and I have a fair grip on finding customs, etc. I am in the same mind set, I would like to make sure we have the man power and those people willing to put the time in. I can do 3-5 hrs a night, and some during the day with maps and so on...But i would like to put in the time to bring back west.

Quick add: I know and see what fatty does, and I would hope that with time and change we could get back to bringing in new blood almost everyday like it was in not to distant past.

Edited by DNA

<suddenly feels vunerable, glances over shoulder>

Make a list of peoples and jobs and positions.....

What size server? Any larger would need to be 66 tick I'm sure.

DNA
(edited)
<suddenly feels vunerable, glances over shoulder>

Make a list of peoples and jobs and positions.....

What size server? Any larger would need to be 66 tick I'm sure.

I sent Loki a PM, and I would think we could keep it the size that it is, and lets see what goes in the next week or two. I think if we get it going b4 spring break we can get a lot of peeps on their comps, and thus on our servers.... ;)

I also think this would give us a great server to do the "FUN NIGHTS", like what Mav did with the Zombie MOD's...that those people that would like the Customs would also like the MOD's from time to time

Edited by DNA

Hmm.. Job titles..

(title goes here) - Stutters

CEO - alvin

Events Manager? - DNA

Map Getter? - Shaftiel

(title goes here) - Lazerus (currently M.I.A.)

That's it so far. DNA and Shaftiel can handle events and maps together. Don't feel too restricted to one job. I'll need John's help with a lot of stuff like.. setting tickrate, max # of players, etc etc. All the complicated stuff.

Edit:

I'm leaving for work in 2 hours and won't be home till midnight. Should I revert West back to stock?

(edited)

I'll start collecting custom maps that seem like they would be fun to play. I'll also poke around other servers Retrocedence and take alook at what customs have good game play.

Shaftiel

Edited by mookie

I'd be down to do some custom map searching LATE tonight after the gym (and work). I'm pretty familiar with FPS Banana. I can help out at certain times but I doubt I'll have time to plan events.

West is stocked again. Now to do all the minor tweaks to get it back and running well. I'm on the server now. Need to turn DWP off. Going to be a BIG list of things to do. :D

I'll start collecting custom maps that seem like they would be fun to play. I'll also poke around other servers Retrocedence and take alook at what customs have good game play.

Shaftiel

Heh, Ok Mookie. :)

Shaftiel

You guys want dead_alltalk on?

Edit:

Everything seems to be working ok. Only 4 maps in the mapcycle cause i'm kind of rushed. So it's up to admins to mix it up with votes!!!!!!!

Hmm.. Job titles..

(title goes here) - Stutters

CEO - alvin

Events Manager? - DNA

Map Getter? - Shaftiel

(title goes here) - Lazerus (currently M.I.A.)

That's it so far. DNA and Shaftiel can handle events and maps together. Don't feel too restricted to one job. I'll need John's help with a lot of stuff like.. setting tickrate, max # of players, etc etc. All the complicated stuff.

Edit:

I'm leaving for work in 2 hours and won't be home till midnight. Should I revert West back to stock?

I'll... just... um.... play? Give feedback.... uh...