QUITTING SMOKING!

ShadowDog

okay, I AM QUITTING SMOKING! but i'm going to do it in a way that doesn't get my hopes up. i know i enjoy smoking more, but its going to slowly kill me. so this is the plan.

1. Stop buying them.

2. If offered one, maaaybe smoke it. but try to say: thanks, but not really in the mood right now.

3. AT THE MOST smoke one a day... ofcourse these are all offered/bummed cigarettes.

4. NO SMOKING FOR TWO WEEKS FROM THIS MOMENT ON... to ensure most of the cravings are dealt with.

sound good?

you gotta be smoking for a long, long time for nicotine to become a serious physical addiction. the mental addiction is easier to get into, and tougher to get out of. i broke the physical addiction pretty easily (gone in 2-3 day), but it took some flavored toothpicks before i could get over the mental addiction.

smoke free for almost 1.5 year now.

imo, the 3 things you mentioned are a good start, but too soft an approach if you really want to kick it for good. you gotta develop hate for cigs. :peace:

i'm pretty sure all those medications are for the huge smokers. nicotine gum is for a pack a day smokers.

i'm doing this without patches, gums, or pills. just me and my will!

Quitting is easy if you want to.

here's the advice of someone I know who successfully quit smoking. His advice helped another friend of mine successfully quit smoking (he's been cigarette free for 2 months).

(some of this might get bleeped by the forum...the guy likes his swear words)

I tried to quit several times, and it finally stuck at one point, these are my tips:

(1) I think it helps to have had a "scary smoking event," something that sort of makes you think "holy poop I'm going to die if I keep smoking," it helps for motivation.

(2) Just quit, don't do any poop with gum, patches, or one of those "trendy" ways to cut down and quit (like the "buy a pack, throw away a cig, only smoke 19, then throw away 2, and only smoke 18," etc., is all that I can think of off hand). You started smoking, by smoking a little bit and eventually getting hooked -- I feel like, basically, all you are doing it going back to that point where you were only smoking a little and you will probably just start smoking more (or start smoking again, if you are on gum) by these methods.

(3) NOTHING YOU CAN DO WILL MAKE QUITTING SMOKING NOT SUCK donkey: those things from #2 just make it suck donkey for longer. Be ready for stuff to suck for a while.

(4) When you quit, just quit, don't write the day down, or make any attempts to remember the day you quit. Resolve that you are now a non-smoker and it doesn't trucking matter if you've been a nonsmoker for 3 days, 362 days, etc. -- You just keep reminding yourself of the time you quit smoking, which makes you think about smoking, which makes your life suck more than you want it to at this point. It doesn't matter when you quit, you are a nonsmoker now.

(5) You probably need to try to not drink or hang with other smokers for a little while, that will make it harder than it needs to be, and unless you are an alcoholic too, then you can probalby go 2 weeks without drinking, eh?

(6) Finally, pretty much the only thing that got me through those times were I was GODDAMNIT I NEED A truckING CIGARETTE, was the fact that I had already made it through some "GODDAMNIT I NEED A truckING CIGARETTE" times, and I knew it would have to end at some point -- basically, I had already found a way to get through X number of those times, knowing that it was going to start all over again if I smoked, I didn't want to waste all that work put in that far. So, just know that it will, eventually, stop -- now there are still times that I want a cigarette, and it's been ~5+ years since I quit, but it's not like I am constantly jonesing for them either. I vaguely remember the beginning not being that bad, a period of time in the middle sucking really hard, and then it just sort of being one day "hey, I don't want a cig anymore."

Fact: The chemical addiction lasts 3 days...once you're past that, it's all in your head

Fact: the only people I know that quit smoking entirely and never started again did it cold turkey--just up and decided what they were doing was stupid, and BAM, they stopped.

Good luck man! I hope it works out for ya'.

I helped a friend stop by punching him if I saw him grab a cigarette...hehehe...

I didn't read all of this... just your first post..

I used to be a smoker... for 15+ years... and I'm only 30 man...

Here is what I learned...

I've tried your above method... it DOESN'T work!! Don't bother...

The only way to do it, is cold turkey... I have been clean since last labor day now... I cheated twice... once on turkey day, and once on xmas. That's it... haven't had one since... and have no wish to go back to them...

COLD TURKEY!!! that is the ticket...

Good luck man. I "quit" 10 years ago. Still find myself buying cigars on occasion and once in a while I'll grab a pack of cigs. I shouldn't but I do so enjoy it and I think for me it makes it easier knowing that I can on occasion smoke.

I figure anything you do to be better is a step in the right direction and everyone is different.

I think someone said it up there but the first few days are "easy". Then the chemicals get out of your body & you start to feel it. I think it was the first couple weeks that were roughest.

Probably the hardest thing for me was not smoking when you are so used to it. I think driving in traffic may have been the worst. But I survived and only have a few teeth marks on the steering wheel to show for it;)

Here in Ohio it did get easier to quit since they banned smoking pretty much everywhere. So, half the places you would normally smoke are now gone:)

Cold turkey all the way!

Just like when you're quitting anything addictive, you should do it at once. The shock of quiting and how your body reacts to it can be a good thing, in a way. If it's too easy to quit, you might pick it up again knowing that you can quit again.

Want a reason to quit: If you have a friend that works in the medical field (hospital morgue, coroner's office, etc.) have them show you what a cigarette filtered lung looks like. If not, the web's got a ton of those pictures.

Crispy, or extra crispy?

Good luck!

I used to be a smoker and wanted to quit in my late 20's. I cut down to just a few a day but I was suffering cause I always wanted one. One weekend we had a party and I got totally trashed and had one of the worse hangovers I every experienced the next day. So bad I didn't even want a smoke the entire day. The next day I thought if I could go without them for one day then I could do it again. And again and again.

It's been about 6-7 years and I am glad I'm not hooked on them, they make you smell so bad!

But...if I have a few brews on the weekend, you might catch me out in the garage puffing on a cigar. :shrug03:

Nicotine affects your brain w/in 10 seconds, so sounds pretty addicting to me.

Like I said in the PM, talk to your doctor about chantix. Or since your not a "regular" smoke, even nicorette lozenges or gum can help.

"the only people I know that quit smoking entirely and never started again did it cold turkey--just up and decided what they were doing was stupid, and BAM, they stopped" If this quote were true many health care professionals would be out of a job. Yes you can stop smoking cold -turkey, but your sucess rate is much much higher if you use a nicotine replacement product.

Edited by lostoften

"the only people I know that quit smoking entirely and never started again did it cold turkey--just up and decided what they were doing was stupid, and BAM, they stopped" If this quote were true many health care professionals would be out of a job. Yes you can stop smoking cold -turkey, but your sucess rate is much much higher if you use a nicotine replacement product.

not true, if the nicotine replacement products that health care professionals give out really worked, those professionals would be out of a job.

I have never met a single person who succesfully quit smoking (and stayed a non-smoker) who did so using any sort of gum or patch or drug. Every person I know who has quit smoking did so simply through the power of their own will.

(not saying that the patches and stuff don't work, only saying that the BEST way to get yourself unaddicted is to do it through force of will because then it becomes a strength rather than the weak feeling of requiring help)

i could never understand how people can smoke an entire pack of cigs a day...how many are in there? like 20 or something like that? good luck shadow quitting smoking is a great thing to do! I hope you can kick the habit

Edited by Xterminator

Keep it up Shadow!!!!

Lost, yup, I know 'bout 6 or 7 people that have quit, all did it cold turkey, and each have been non-smokers for years...

The gum is a crutch? Why does it exist? To make money! Of course "professionals" are going to tell you that they work, 'cause there's a chance they will, but all-in-all, it's a business. So many people want to quit, and society is lazy as all get-out, so they will do whatever they can to do it the easy way. Besides, I asked my doctor once what the best way of quitting was....he said "cold turkey" :peace:

I could go have him put it in writing if you wish :peace: Anyway, the important thing here is that Shadow is doing well! 3 days is all it takes to clear that chemical addiction my friend! Now it's all in your head. Keep it up! :luxhello: