ATI/AMD HD 2900XT Reviews

I heard that this was the mid level card release. The article there seems to say that this is the high end of the new R600 series. I think they are wrong. From what I understand ATI plans to release this mid-level card first then dump in the low level and the high level cards at the same time. They plan on outperforming Nvidia according to an article I read on AMD/ATI's site a few weeks ago.

I hope the hoopla isn't just blowing smoke up our butts because I have been with ATI since I switched from my voodoo Banshee to a AIW7500 card.

Nope, 2900 is the high end cards.. They used the 2900xt in the test and the only release that will be more powerful will be a 2900xtx. The 2600 series will be released sometime in June i believe along with the 2400 series.

The one thing I absoloutly hate about ATI (now AMD/ATI) is that when they

come out with a new card/line of cards, they pull the top of line cards

from the previous line off the shelves. Try their website. No X1950XTX

This is always the case. Unlike Nvidia cards where you can hold out for

bit & buy a depreciated card at a decent price. I think my next card is going

to be Nvidia.

i too, am very disappointed right now. i hope the 2400 and 2600 are as good as people think cause i'll need one for my new htpc rig. however, my next desktop card looks to be nvidia. if only they could get their vista drivers straight...

I have these two on order and hope to have them by wed or thursday. For the first time in years, I will be using an Nvidia card.

I said I was going all out for future games. I know this card is overkill for cs source but should be pushed well when UT2007 and Alan Wake make their debut. I am most excited about Allan Wake. Check out the details at the main site: http://www.alanwake.com

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131153

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130072

if only they could get their vista drivers straight...

qft

My 8800gts does very well (obviously) with XP, but I'm too turned off by nvidia drivers atm to switch to XP on my gaming pc.

I'm still waiting for a semi-decent/working vista driver for my 7900gs go in my laptop :bang:

the main reason i was waiting for this ati release was image quality. now that it appears it has not improved over nvidia's offering and possibly has even taken a step back i'll be purchasing a nvidia card shortly. though i may go with a new intel board that hits 575 fsb first.

I have these two on order and hope to have them by wed or thursday. For the first time in years, I will be using an Nvidia card.

I said I was going all out for future games. I know this card is overkill for cs source but should be pushed well when UT2007 and Alan Wake make their debut. I am most excited about Allan Wake. Check out the details at the main site: http://www.alanwake.com

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131153

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130072

My friend got two of the video card you're getting Zd and is running them in SLI... I think he got 16,000... or something like that in 3dmarks ... drool

Few things...

They were using alpha drivers for some of those tests...which means squat at this stage. Even with the current drivers who knows what ATI has in store...they may have some aces up their sleeves. It's ridiculous to think that a company like ATI/AMD would waste so much $ in r&d knowing that they are going to cost more and under-deliver. They would have scrapped the whole line knowing that, yet here are the cards

...the most important line of that article

Of course we do not know about DX10 games yet, and there is no way to make any predictions how that comparison will turn out.

Obviously there's nothing you can say at this stage. I hate comparisons like this because it always has a negative effect on the market. I mean look at you guys, all hardcore and all pretty much cutting out ATI before they even have a product on shelves with updated drivers.

We also need to see how they compare with 2x2900's in Xfire against 2x8800GTX's in SLI

Now that being said...who can fit the 2900 in their standard case? By the looks of it they are nearly an inch longer than the already long 8800's :biglaugha:

Longer is better... :smillie_smilling:

Few things...

They were using alpha drivers for some of those tests...which means squat at this stage. Even with the current drivers who knows what ATI has in store...they may have some aces up their sleeves. It's ridiculous to think that a company like ATI/AMD would waste so much $ in r&d knowing that they are going to cost more and under-deliver. They would have scrapped the whole line knowing that, yet here are the cards

...the most important line of that article

Of course we do not know about DX10 games yet, and there is no way to make any predictions how that comparison will turn out.

Obviously there's nothing you can say at this stage. I hate comparisons like this because it always has a negative effect on the market. I mean look at you guys, all hardcore and all pretty much cutting out ATI before they even have a product on shelves with updated drivers.

We also need to see how they compare with 2x2900's in Xfire against 2x8800GTX's in SLI

Now that being said...who can fit the 2900 in their standard case? By the looks of it they are nearly an inch longer than the already long 8800's :biglaugha:

Longer is better... :smillie_smilling:

I would agree with you but these cards are over 6 months late in coming out. There has been plenty of time to get drivers ready for this card for release... lots and plenty of time. This card is a flop from all of the reviews I've seen; reviews from Driverheaven.net, Anandtech, Extremetech, etc etc. Some have Crossfire vs SLI comparisons and they are not bad at all but you will need a 1000 watt PSU to run them in that mode not to mention buy a seperate Air Conditioner just to keep your PC from catching on fire. The card isn't as bad as the 5800 FX card from Nvidia back when they were trying to play catchup to the 9700 pro but it is a close comparison. I am disappointed man; it is as simple as that. I am an ATI beta tester and wanted this card to be good enough for me to want to buy. Hell, I love the Avivo encoder that ATI provides for their hardware. I will now have to find something else unless they make a decent all-in-wonder card based on this set for my low-end multi-media machine.

ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT: Calling a Spade a Spade

There's no doubt about it. ATI's release here has almost put Nvidia in the GPU market

in the same place Intel is in the CPU market, though not as bad, and certainly a recoverable

move. I'm starting to wish AMD did not buy out ATI. The more I look at this situation, the more

obvious it becomes that the move was very bad for consumers. It also becomes very clear that

the buyout was intended solely to buy time for AMD to survive. I hope they have something

up they're sleeves. I really do.

BTW when is that Alan Wake game due out? Anyone know? That looks pretty cool!