I may be in trouble....

NOFX

(edited)

So I was back in Norway again for the final testing of last install. I left April 28th and arrived back on the 17th of May. I didnt come into work until yesterday, and I come back to find out we had a 25% cut in our developers.... people who had been here up to 25 years had been laid off. I didn't get fired, but here's the deal...

My boss pretty much told me I was supposed to get fired, but he kept me on because there was an opening in the panama city, Florida division and I was a good fit for the job. I would be working remotely from this office. Well, that was a huge relief, so I thought.... So I talked to the guy this morning from panama city and it was pretty much a phone interview!! I wasn't ready for that. The dude was grilling me hard and at the end said, he would get back to me after he interviewed some possible candidates and he would let me know.

all I have to say is this sucks! It didnt sound like he wanted me....Now im stuck here just wondering if Im going to have a job in two weeks or not.

Its sort of stressful, but the more I think about it, the more tinkled I get. I think im going to go talk to my bosses boss and find out if I still have a job here if they don't want me in panama city. I don't want to sit around for two weeks waiting... If they are going to treat me like that, I might as well go to start putting my resume out to other company's...

bah sorry for the rant, but I have noone to rant to, maybe someone here can feel my pain.

Edited by NOFX

That does suck...

I don't intend to offer a false ray of hope or anything, with respect to the other opportunity if you're the only internal candidate you either need to have really made a mess of the interview or an external candidate have been exceptional for you not to get the internal position (don't be surprised if you hear the, local/remote argument if that does happen).

I sit in recruiting/resource management for an IT consulting firm and it is certainly in our interest to cross train staff who may at least bring some of the skills to the table than hiring outside. It's not just the cost of hiring new employees, but it's also the loss of intellectual property from every person that you lay off/lose (we did an assessment last year, that each person who moves on and we have to replace costs around 75K within our group based on new person's training needs, cost of hiring new staff, and loss of intellectual property/systems/project knowledge).

Do you know if you were the only internal candidate? Are they looking outside?

One other thing, if you're put on the spot and get an interview when you were expecting a chat, I'd be very surprised if anyone would think it had gone really well afterwards.

But if layoffs are being made, and it's not specific to 1 lost contract and more of a general business trend you should get your resume updated any advice I can provide feel free to PM me.

I don't want to sit around for two weeks waiting... If they are going to treat me like that, I might as well go to start putting my resume out to other company's...

Good point. Hang in there, but keep in mind that in today's world, you are expected to change careers several times during your working years. Corporate America just doesn't care about its employees like it did two generations ago.

I know where you're coming from.

My wife got a verbal "pink slip" about 2 weeks ago but got re-hired by her immediate boss 2 days later. It was a tough 2 days for my wife and me because of her being stressed. She doesn't really need to work, but she likes what she's doing (she's in the fashion industry).

3 whole departments got down sized and trimmed about 80% of the workforce. Some of them were working with the company for over 15 years.

After the first day, she sent out resumes to head hunters and got 3 interview appointments the very next day. Obviously she canceled the interviews, but she seriously considered finding a new job because of the job security issue. If she got let go once, it might happen again, she thought.

It really sucks to be left at a mercy of some upper level management to terminate when they don't truly know exactly how the individual worker contributes to the company.

Anyways, don't worry, it will all work out. Things always do.

Good luck man.

I feel your pain NOFX...I've been forced into looking for a new job because my current employer doesn't think I deserve as much money as my co-workers even though I manage 2 properties instead of one and so on so forth.

It really sucks because no one ever wants to spend time searching for a new job, even worse when your current employer Richards you around....

ive been layed off before. it sucks. thankfully these guys had my back (with GC of course):

:boing:

local455logonew.jpg

Are you a plumber or an HVAC guy? If yer coming to FF...do I have job for you!!

ive been layed off before. it sucks. thankfully these guys had my back (with GC of course):

local455logonew.jpg

Haha! Brew got ownt!

thanks for the good outlook and advice guys, it helps :)

and to answer playya question. Yes I code. I code in C++ and i am extremely Linux command line friendly.

I work for a defense contractor and the company has a whole is doing awesome. I have gotten a 50% return rate this year on company stocks.

My division isn't doing to well though.... we dont have any new contracts coming in.

So it looks like I did better on the phone than I thought. A couple of bosses up said it will probably be official in a few weeks. The panama city deal is a 9-12 months worth of work to me, so I know Im safe for at least that long.

Now comes some changes, Im 25, single and own a townhouse. I think Im going to put some work into it this summer and then sell it. I basically owe for all of it and I realized how unflexible I am with that under me. What if I have to move for a job? I wouldn't be able to.

re: townhouse

think it's possible for you to fix it up just enough to be a nice rental? there's nothing sweeter than having some tenants pay your mortgage. see if you can find someone to manage the property for you, download some landlord lease agreements, and throw it up on craigslist...

don't sell it unless you absolutely have to.

local455logonew.jpg

HVAC Tech.

Now im not coming anymore! :D

My company has had "workforce reductions" each of the past 5 years (darn outsourcing). You just have to sit back & see what happens. Nothing you do now will make a difference...it's what you have done in the past year or two that matter.

You should always keep your resume up to date. Always remember...to most companies your just an asset...kinda like the computer on your desk. If they can find a cheaper computer it will be replaced:)