Got my car broken into

TheGeek

(edited)

I live in a rural area so I thought if I leave my wallet in my car without it locked it would be okay. Since it has been safe before. Most people leave their keys in the ignition and we never have a problem. Its a very trusting community.

BUT last night somebody got into my car and took the cash out of my wallet. 15 to 20 dollars are missing. No cd's were taken, cd player still there, check card still there, license still there... odd right? So I get to thinking, if I was a kid (around the age of middle school) and didn't know how to steal properly yet... I would only steal the cash. Right? Since another car in the driveway had its glove compartment open and a lighter missing. WHO STEALS A LIGHTER?! A kid who cannot buy one on his own? Right?

so... my neighbors have kids around the age of middle school...

I'm more ticked that the level of trust has been broken than me loosing 20 bucks. WHICH was my gas money till Friday :boo:

Our neighbors are not too nice to us, they called the sheriffs department because we had a 5x5 area fire, INSTEAD of a 3x3... not to mention their dog keeps on eating our chickens. "our dog couldnt have eaten your chickens" *geek is standing in their yard, looks at the ground and see's blood and feathers* "where's the dog?", asked geek. "don't know" said the stupid neighbor.

Not to mention they called the sheriffs department because we owned pigs, and they wanted us to get rid of them because they smell.... LOL the look on their face when the sheriff said that there isn't zoning out in RURAL areas. :lol2:

what would the punisher do?

\\end very long rant

Edited by TheGeek

consider yourself lucky its only 20 bucks and start locking your car

Yeah! I'm just glad this didn't happen in Minneapolis

Hah. In Minneapolis, your car would've been stolen. There goes your car, your gas money, and your dignity.

I have had some 30-06 330 grain rounds I've been itching to use... But then I wouldn't be able to identify the body... good thing in rural area's, if I feel my life is being threatened and he's on my property trespassing, I have every right to shoot him. So... what would the punisher do...

I mean...I live in a rural area as well and I have no problem leaving something valuable in my car while I run into the store real quick...but leaving your wallet in your unlocked car overnight...that's just silly.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Here are some tips I live by:

- Always lock your car, no matter where you park it or how long you're gone for

- If you're going to leave your windows open to let some air circulate on a hot day, don't make the opening large enough for a hand to get in and unlock the door.

- Never EVER leave your wallet in the car. Even if it's the most trusted community, it's not a wise move (i'm not saying you made a dumb move) but it's good practice to take that kinda stuff inside:

-If you're a CD person and have tons of music in your car. I recommend burning all your CD's and keeping the originals at home. I myself was victim to this, someone stole a CD case of mine with my top 20 CD's.....wasn't too happy about that

-To follow up on the previous point. If you have an iPod. Put all your music on it, get an FM transmitter. That way you're less likely to be a target. My car has an original deck on it, no tape player, no CD player. I just have an FM transmitter for my iPod...which I never leave in the car unattended.

these are just some simple steps i've incorporated and i've never had a problem. Not that my city is crime free, my friends car was broken into just the other day. But i find the less you have in your car that someone can see through your window, the better off you are.

(edited)

I know exactly what I would do...

I would leave money in visible sight or just my wallet in there. I have a wireless camera that is fairly small and has night vision. I would mount that somewhere in the car and hope he comes back. After all a good thief wouldn't come to the same spot twice however a kid is stupid. Imagine the look at your neighbors face when you blame the kid. They get mad and tell you it wasn't the kid, then you tell them you have it on camera.

If that plan didn't work, which I doubt it would, because the kid will probably not come back. I'd probably cut his bike tires or something like that and leave a pack of matches beside the bike with a note saying, "here are some matches in case the the lighter ran out". That way, he knows you know, he can't say anything to anyone and you know what your 20 bucks paid for.

Edited by NOFX

I can't imagine not locking my car. I just don't understand the reasoning...why would you ever leave your car unlocked? I mean even on my grandmother's farm everyone always locks everything, there's usually upwards of 60 family members floating around too and it's out in the middle of nowhere.

Personally I would go blame your parents for not teaching you to always lock your car. :D

I can't imagine not locking my car. I just don't understand the reasoning...why would you ever leave your car unlocked?

Well, I live in a rural area also and I have to say, I have never once, locked my car at my parents house. To beat that.. I moved there when I was 6 and never once did we ever lock the front door to our house!

I live in a pretty big city now and I must say I never lock my door. for a few reasons..

a. half the time, I don't have doors on my jeep.

b. If I did have the doors locked and top on, a thief would either, just unzip my back windows or be stupid and cut them.

I just don't carry anything valuable in my car...

It doesn't matter how nice of an area in which you think you live or how remote it may be or how "nice" your neighbors may seem - there is always some idiot out there looking for a car/house that is screaming "rob this guy". I agree with Mo, there's really no reason whatsoever to not lock your car/house. It takes all of 10 extra seconds to lock up. I have been lucky enough to live in nice areas that are virtually crime-free for the most part, but it still happens. The only guy I knew growing up that didn't lock his car actually WANTED someone to steal it because it was a piece of crap and he wanted to get a new one with insurance money, lol.

The philosophy I like to share with my wife about walking with her purse on the arm between the two of us applies here too: If you don't present a target, 99% of the time you won't be a target. It's a crappy lesson to have to learn the hard way, but leaving your wallet or other nice stuff visible in your car, locked or unlocked, presents a target to the wrong kind of people. I'm sure the vast majority of thefts are those of laziness - the guy kept looking for a car/house that was already open/unlocked to pick on instead of taking the trouble of breaking in. Anyways, not trying to give a lecture or anything, but hopefully you lock up your stuff now and catch the little bastid that thought he was being clever.

Two final thoughts:

1. The kid deserves to be introduced to the business end of the tire iron he apparently *should* have taken from your car as well. If you're gonna rob somebody, at least try to limit their ability to exact revenge, lol

2. NOFX has a brilliant plan which I find fitting and hilarious. I recommend it if nothing else but for the comedic value it could supply.

What some of my neighbors did is leave their keys in the door of their car, so they don't lose them in the house. I miss the trust.

LOLOLOL

wow, if that doesn't scream "steal me" I don't know what does :biglaugha:

I would miss the trust as well..... and still lock my doors ;)

So... what would the punisher do...

Is this a rhetorical question? If not...

If I was the punisher, i would park my car under the street light, get out, leave the door open, then proceed to empty my wallet on the drivers seat. after this, i would go load up with all the airsoft death of the grapple clan, and wait in the darkness...for any foolish little kid dumb enough to try it again xD

oh, and by the way geek, i would definitaly aid in this process. no doubt about it.

but then theres always the trust issue...

=/ ya win some ya lose some, right?

What some of my neighbors did is leave their keys in the door of their car, so they don't lose them in the house. I miss the trust.

Geek, the leason learned here should be: Never leave anything of value in plain sight.

It really doesn't matter much if a window or door is closed because if a theif wants something bad enough, he'll break open that window or door to get it. I would know since a thief broke my car window 2 years ago to steal something within my locked car.

So, i repeat: Never leave anything of value in plain sight within your vechicle. That is the only way to avoid these problems.