Kidney Stone

anonymo

So I woke up last Friday morning around 1am to what felt like a small person stabbing me in the kidneys. By 2am I decided I should go to the ER, where they confirmed my suspicions that the pain was most likely a kidney stone passing through my system. After some xrays they saw a couple specks in my urinary system...they are no more than 1mm in diameter, whew...doctors said they should be fairly painless to pass but could take up to a month.

So after getting released from the hospital at 7:30 am I went to work for God knows why...and I haven't had that stabbing pain since...

That's my story.

more beer, less wine coolers...panzy.

It's funny because the doctor was very confused as it's very rare for someone of my age and family history to get kidney stones...he said that with all the beer we young guys drink they don't stand a chance...then I told him I hadn't had a beer since FF (mid July) and he told me to get to drinking more regularly!

Oh and I went into work because there were things only I knew needed/how to be done, my boss would have held it against me if I took a sick day and it was only for 2 hours...I went home and got attacked by friends from college who refuse to let me sleep...

more beer, less wine coolers...panzy.

then I told him I hadn't had a beer since FF (mid July) and he told me to get to drinking more regularly!

That's my kind of doctor! I just bought Soju, Sake and Plum Wine to share in my department at work... mmmmm.

this topic gave me the heebie jeebies

then pray you don't get kidney stones...

Interesting...my wifes doctor said the beer would cause the stones and she should drink water between them.

Of course, there are hundreds of causes for kidney stones. Being a male of 25 years and having no family history of kidney stones it is unusual for me to get one. Beer is known to naturally break down many kinds of kidney stones, but that's not to say it can't cause them as well. The doctor simply put out the idea that my previously regular drinking schedule might have played a role in breaking down stones that I was getting from some other source.

I won't know anything until I produce a stone. I have a feeling it will be within the next 2 weeks.

I've had kidney stones...they utterly suck.

why is it that everyone who I know of who has had kidney stones, had to go to the hospital between 1-3 a.m.? Why can't they show up in the middle of the day?

also, mo...if you don't have the pain anymore...you probably already passed the stones. Even if the doctor asked you to "catch" them, you might not have seen them. Mine were 3mm and I couldn't see them.

I've had kidney stones...they utterly suck.

why is it that everyone who I know of who has had kidney stones, had to go to the hospital between 1-3 a.m.? Why can't they show up in the middle of the day?

also, mo...if you don't have the pain anymore...you probably already passed the stones. Even if the doctor asked you to "catch" them, you might not have seen them. Mine were 3mm and I couldn't see them.

It's definitely still in thur...I can feel it. I can feel the pain coming on...it's going to hurt something fierce when the time is right...

man... I've had kidney stones 3 times in my life... and not one time were they painless enough to work, or do anything else... all three times they were through xrays and confirmed to be border line surgery need. So they opted for drugs and wait it out...

First time I went in was in college... had to wake my roommate up, and he sped through town to get me there... first question the nurse asked...

"do you have a living will made out?" HAHA... you should have seen my face at that point...

yeah, I've given birth 3 times...

good to hear it wasn't too bad mo. A few months ago I got a call at work from my sister saying my dad was rushed to the hospital because of sharp pains in his side. Being an older man he at first thought it was his appendix but after some tests it turned out to be kidney stones. I'm not sure how big they were but my dad was in agony from what i was told by my family.

Do you drink a lot of soda? Coffee?

Anything with phosphates and caffeine can (possibly) leach calcium from blood and bones, leaving it for your kidneys to deal with.

My sister has never learned her lesson, she's had kidney stones up to 6.5mm before and the pain was excruciating...yet she still drinks a liter of pepsi every day.

she's given birth too, and much prefers bearing children to passing stones.

Good luck!

I would agree with the water/beer theory. Lots of beer and lots of water! Of course, that's my solution for almost every problem.

Do you drink a lot of soda? Coffee?

Anything with phosphates and caffeine can (possibly) leach calcium from blood and bones, leaving it for your kidneys to deal with.

My sister has never learned her lesson, she's had kidney stones up to 6.5mm before and the pain was excruciating...yet she still drinks a liter of pepsi every day.

she's given birth too, and much prefers bearing children to passing stones.

Good luck!

I would agree with the water/beer theory. Lots of beer and lots of water! Of course, that's my solution for almost every problem.

Pretty much what it is. I drink coffee every morning and usually a coke at least once a day, more on weekends. I never was this bad so I guess it's my body telling me this lifestyle isn't cool. (also to note, the only thing I had to drink the night I went to the ER was a coke)

I also never really drank water on a regular basis, some days going through 5 cans of coke (nothing compared to some people I know) with no water for weeks (really). I pretty much assumed the catalyst to all of this was from not enough water.

I have 2 cases of coke in my fridge left over from before when I went to the hospital. I haven't been able to even think about drinking it anymore. The coffee I'm working on...it's hard not drinking it. I should probably mention that I've also been drinking far too many energy drinks in the last 8 months, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the crap in those things had a part to play in my stones.

Mo i've been drinking energy drinks for the past 6 months with no real issues. Granted i drink water almost every day and i'm not a coffee drinker. But it all depends on what type of energy drink you drink. The stuff i drink has a lot of medicinal ingredients like B vitamins and stuff like that. So it might not necessarily be the energy drinks...

We'll have to get together for a pub crawl in T.O and get you back to health.

Mo i've been drinking energy drinks for the past 6 months with no real issues. Granted i drink water almost every day and i'm not a coffee drinker. But it all depends on what type of energy drink you drink. The stuff i drink has a lot of medicinal ingredients like B vitamins and stuff like that. So it might not necessarily be the energy drinks...

We'll have to get together for a pub crawl in T.O and get you back to health.

Well, one thing I have learned through all of this is that non natural supplements are not processed by your body in the same way as natural ones and can collect in your kidneys if your body can't use them. Just a word of warning.

Anyways...I passed something this morning...it was 1mm wide...and about 3mm long := Didn't even feel it, just looked into the sieve and saw this yellow nugget...lets hope that's all I got!