another build thread

discom

I'm building a comp for my brother, and I have $1200 to spend on it (not including monitor).

I've been off the internet for a few months and I haven't built a comp in forever, so I'm kinda behind on things..

This is what I put together without doing research on anything -- due to 56k :/

Also, I can't wait a few months for some new part that hasn't come out yet.

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail -- $179.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor - Retail -- $169.99

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail -- $379.99

CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail -- $154.00

Rosewill RP500-2 500W,ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Retail -- $49.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM -- $79.99 (he needs the capacity rather than the speed)

These parts plus a sound card, DVD writer, and case add up to exactly $1200.

..any changes I should make without drastically chaning the cost?

If you're planning on getting smaller than a 22" monitor, I'd drop the gfx card down to the 320 mb and save a few bucks to go somewhere else. I'd also get OCZ ram just cause it's like 1/2 the price of that stuff. OCZ gold or platinum.

Just my 2 cents though. Other than that I'd be happy with that system. Though, cujo may yell at you cause you're not going the c2d route.

the monitor will only be 19", but I thought it would be good to have the 640mb card to be ready for certain dx10 games coming out. 320mb just seems kinda low for a $300 card. I should probably go look at some benchmarks

also, if i go with intel, I think I'll go over the budget

go c2d, no reason not to discom

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128047 mobo 159

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115029 e6750 204

a little over what you had with am2, but much better, you can even drop the price another 30 bucks if you go with the e6550

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115030

Also that ram is too expensive compared to other ddr2 800 imo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231114

99bucks for 2 gigs

This ram is even cheaper... I have it and it works just beautifully. Edit: nevermind, I thought i read 2x1gb, but I didnt. Heh, I cant read unfortunately.

Afaik the 320 vs 640 will only make a difference when you are running at higher resolutions. I dont think that 1280x1024 is high enough to put that extra 320 to work very much, but I could be off my rocker on that.

Edited by DarkArchon

(edited)

m2, is the E6700 better then the E6750 that you linked? it's like $100 more and i dont know why

edit: nevermind, it's just better at overclocking

after looking at a ton of benchmarks, it seems that the E6750 is just slightly better then the amd 6000.. and it's also slightly more expensive. I don't see any really good reason to go with the intel cpu unless i want 0.5 second less load times, but I'd love to be proved wrong

Edited by discom

(edited)

I went with the e6550 2.33Ghz. I ordered it about a week and a half ago. It runs 3.0Ghz with everything stock, no changing voltages or changing the RAM ratio and its like 10 bucks more than that amd. I would recommend that well before a 6000+ AMD. Not only would I bet it will outperform in games. I think the system would be more responsive overall. And if you ever want to play around with video encoding and editing. The intel will smoke the AMD. Also, if you got a more modest motherboard, it would be much cheaper to get the faster intel than buy that motherboard and processor.

Im not saying your build is bad, but you can easily get a machine that outperforms your build for quite a bit cheaper.

Your motherboard is a rip off. Are you using SLI? No.. then why are you paying for it?

I just bought GigaByte DS3 Doesn't have all the junk I don't need. And it cost $94 and has the latest chipset and overclocks like a champ

Why are you buying that memory?

I just got A-Data 2x1 Gig DDR2 800 it did have a $30 mail in rebate and like I said, I have the bus running at 400Mhz and this memory can keep up with the cpu, don't have to lower the ratio or anything.

Im also not quite sure I would spend 339 on a video card. I didn't do much research into video cards with my last build because I had my 7800GT. My machine will run with everything cranked up and not even glitch. I don't think I ever drop below 100fps in Source.

Edited by NOFX

I'm wrong... i was comparing with the e6600 instead of the e6700.

the mobo and ram are overpriced cause I just quickly picked out the top-rated instead of looking around. And the comp will be used a lot for video editing and 3d rendering, so now I think i'll go with the e6750

I have the e6600, overclocked to 3.0 ghz, completely stable....that blows away anything AMD has by a lot....

That being said the e6600 is on sale right now on NewEgg...check it out. I'd link it, but I'm lazy. :-)

Yeah, right now Intel definitely has the edge on AMD...basically when I did my most recent build, I went with whatever tested best, and I have to say, that with my 3.0ghz Core2Duo, I'm VERY impressed.

That being said, consider going BFG on the graphics card...why you ask? Well, they're overclocked, which is cool, even if not by a whole lot, but they also have a lifetime warranty...I dunno if EVGA does that or not.

I have the BFG 8800GTX OC edition...Slaughter and I both do, actually, and right now his is clocked close to what the Ultra gets stock, and he's 99% sure he can overclock it further so it performs just like an Ultra. Not too shabby, eh? BFG ftw, as far as I'm concerned :-)

I would suggest going with evga for the following reasons:

1. They offer overclocked models as well on par with or higher than BFG offerings

2. They offer lifetime warranties if you register within the first month of ownership.

3. They offer the Step-up program, which allows you to trade your card in for a newer faster card and only pay the price difference between the two. (good for 90 days after original purchase)

4. eVGA cards are generally cheaper than BFG.

BFG cards still perform very well, I just prefer evga as a company. customer support is top notch the few times I've had to deal with them.

• 2 weeks later...

ya i figured that. i was more just pointing out that even my compy doesn't get super great fps on that map.

i'm actually running a single 8800gtx right now. i'm heavily cpu limited though. i can't wait for multi-threaded source.