Hellgate London demo is out

bushwack

I've been waiting for this one, Can't wait for my download to finish. Prepare for a 1.5gb d/l.

Hope this impresses me more then the other demos I have tried this month. I'm not going to mention any names. :blah:

Anyone else been looking forward to this game? Will it be Diablo 3? hehe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a limit as to how long I want to run around performing "go fetch" quests in the London underground and very very short sections of london streets.

It looks pretty enough, but I don't see much from the demo that would get me hooked.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of enjoyed it in a slicing my way through the undead way and perhaps the demo is only the tip of the iceburg, but having been sent on quests on 3 streets that looked just the same and investigated 4 sections of the underground (admittedly 3 were the same station) that all looked exactly the same the demo has actually discouraged me from buying it.

When you've been through two underground sections and know by the third one that when you get to the second "locker room" you're probably near the thing you have to collect, or, oh I've killed the 3/3 blood zombies best go back and get my nice new pants, it kind of lost interest from a questing perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of enjoyed it in a slicing my way through the undead way and perhaps the demo is only the tip of the iceburg, but having been sent on quests on 3 streets that looked just the same and investigated 4 sections of the underground (admittedly 3 were the same station) that all looked exactly the same the demo has actually discouraged me from buying it.

When you've been through two underground sections and know by the third one that when you get to the second "locker room" you're probably near the thing you have to collect, or, oh I've killed the 3/3 blood zombies best go back and get my nice new pants, it kind of lost interest from a questing perspective.

ZOMBIES AND PANTS?!?? Where do I sign up!?!

This might have been a good game if this was the final version and it was released a few years ago like it was supposed to. Everything just seems dated. Graphics, character movement and sounds, AI. Some times you can stand still and shoot an enemy not far from you until they die. They may be zombies, but I think they should be able to notice that they're getting shot for 10 seconds straight. Half-rotten corpses make sounds that can be easily imitated and lack the feeling of terror. Like Leveller said, areas are pretty repetitive. Can only use the same destroyed building and hallway so many times. My memory sucks, but I think Doom 3 looked better than this. It seems like they stayed with the same concept they thought of when they first started planning the game and didn't do much to modify it.

I've played with the blademaster, envoker and summoner. So far my favorite is the summoner.

So far I'm only able to play as the rifle guy and the blademaster. I haven't had the option to play as the evoker or summoner yet. How do you get the other classes?

Shaftiel

I've played with the blademaster, envoker and summoner. So far my favorite is the summoner.

So far I'm only able to play as the rifle guy and the blademaster. I haven't had the option to play as the evoker or summoner yet. How do you get the other classes?

Shaftiel

I got into the beta, so I get to try all 6 classes. I'm having to much fun as the summoner right now to try out the rest.

I played for an hour last night. Yeah it's kinda pretty, but it does feel dated and very repetitive. Even the levels themselves use the same structures etc. Nothing like hl2 in regards to detail and "newness". I mean, the way the zombies die, the sounds (no voice overs, just reading!?) and levels are very plain. That hour I played it was pretty fun, but that's about it for me for the game.

Based on some of the feedback above, I may have been too quick to judge and will probably reinstall the demo. I only tried it as a blademaster, perhaps another class is more "up my street".

But I don't think I'd be likely to buy it until I've seen some further reviews, ideally here where I can trust the feedback

This is a demo, after all.

True that. When you get the real game, let me know if it's different than the demo in that regard and I'll consider changing camps :)

Will do, cap-i-tain.

Are you into the RPG aspect of gaming? WoW, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, etc?