alright guys, i need help

tookey

I have a long roadtrip (at least long for me) planned with my mom for christmas break. I need music to drive, and I need it to come from my car speakers, not headphones (thats ridiculous). I have an ipod video. What is the *best* way I can do this?

you'll get better sound if you buy one of those do-hickies that uses a radio channel

They're often the same price or cheaper. My sis has one and it's very nice to use.

Unless of course your car has a line-in, then just use that for the best sound.

Oh, and dl Dragon Force: Inhuman Rampage - great cd.

3 options:

1. FM transmitter. (Stay away from belkin brand)

2. Tape adapters (You must have a tape deck that works)

3. Direct AUX in.

With #1. You get what you pay for. Don't expect anything other than poor if you spend under $40 or $50. (there are some exceptions to this rule and once again, AVOID BELKIN)

--Also, I would recommend that you do NOT buy one that recharges your battery. Recharging your battery in a car is a bad idea. The voltages are constantly changing (or is it the watts?) with the RPM's and it can, and probably will wear out your battery.

--If you have already worn down battery, go right ahead. It wont hurt none. I would recommend "Monster" and "Griffin" brand.

----linky

With #2. You don't get anything other than average sound. Gets really annoying if your anal like me and notice ANY audio flaws. You can get them as cheap as $5 dollars. I bought one for $10 and it was a bad choice. It only played audio on the left side of my car. Spend $15 and get a nice one. You wont regret it.

With #3. This is the best way to get sound from your ipod to your car. You must have that line in (aux) first.

--Some cd players have an auxiliary in the back that looks like a large ps1 port. You can buy $50 dollar ipod adapters so that you can hook up your ipod to the adapter with a ipod adapter cord and the adapter to the back of the cd player. (the aux port on the back looks also looks like a LARGE s-video port, REALLY easy installation)

----linky

Ive given this speech to so many people working in the electronics dept in a Target :D

Edited by TheGeek

if your car has a AUX port, just buy the wire (males on both ends) from your local walmart and plug one end to where the headphone should go on your ipod and the other end into the car; the wire should cost you around 4 dollars

that's the current setup i have in my car

and if you're looking for something that is both enjoyable and family-friendly, i highly suggest

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code...pid-1003754227/

it offers you a nice cool stream of music and voices that soothes the mind, calms the soul, and leaves an unforgettable experience

Edited by Undies

Not sure how anyone would think the FM transmitter sounds and works better than the cassette adapter. I have to assume people are buying really cheap cassette adapters :shrug03:

IMO in order of quality:

Direct connection (line in, ipod connection*) *Alpine decks have this ability, upgrade?

Tape connection (don't cheap out)

FM connection (definitely don't cheap out)

If you do use the FM option, and if you can, remove your antena. It removes nearly all the static that is common with FM transmitters and the sound is great! Everytime I go on a long road trip I just unscrew the antena and push play on my ipod. No having to locate a clear channel everytime I drive through a metro area, and when I'm done with the ipod I simply screw the antena back on. Simple as pie.

Shaftiel

Easiest way should be to use one of those cassettes designed for CD players.

Not the best way...those sound like crap.

I have both a cassette adapter and a radio frequency transmitter...

I got the radio transmitter at best buy for $59...there were others that were more expensive but this one works great.

It is essentially an FM transmitter that plugs into cigarette lighter...it has a USB adapter that plugs into your iPod. It keeps it charged (which cassette adapter doesn't) and it has a 1/8 inch stereo line in plug, so you can use other devices that have headphone out (think other mp3 players).

It has variable tuning system, so you can use any unused FM frequency from 88.0 to 107.

Nice.

how hard/costly is it to upgrade to a deck that has a line input? I'm fairly sure the car we're using doesn't have one :/

Cheapest one I found at target was $110. I'm sure you can get it cheaper.

The tape adapter has the limitations of sound as a normal tape. If you cant tell the difference between the sound of a tape and a CD then you'd be fine with a tape adapter.

If you have an after market CD player, go with the upgrade that plugs into the back of the CD deck.

If you have a stock CD deck in your car, I would recommend a new CD deck. Chances are, your stock CD deck only has 10-15 watts per speaker. After market CD decks have 50 watts per speaker. So even if you have crappy speakers they will sound decent after the upgrade.

If you live in a metro area, don't go with a FM transmitter if your not planning on spending over $80. Metro radio stations are so powerful compared to a FM transmitter you buy at a store. You will have to search a new empty FM band every couple miles. Chances are, if you spend over $80 you will get a FM transmitter that can overpower the local FM frequencies.

Edited by TheGeek

Seeing as i constantly have to mess with ALL of these. i feel i should just tell you.

1. Tape decks are cheap, and mild quality and should suit you just fine. you can get them at dollar stores.

2. FM Transmitters ARE CRAP unless you put forth a lot of money on them... atleast $50.

3. AUX PORT. i use it on my car and i love it. wouldn't go any other way if i had to. They just require you to have an AUX port on your stereo.. if you don't have one, just go with a Tape deck and spend the $1-$10. This is just for a road trip, not the rest of your life.

Don't bother trying to find a stereo with an aux port. it'll just be a pain... especially for someone who doesn't know much about systems and such.

3 options:

1. FM transmitter. (Stay away from belkin brand)

2. Tape adapters (You must have a tape deck that works)

3. Direct AUX in.

With #1. You get what you pay for. Don't expect anything other than poor if you spend under $40 or $50. (there are some exceptions to this rule and once again, AVOID BELKIN)

--Also, I would recommend that you do NOT buy one that recharges your battery. Recharging your battery in a car is a bad idea. The voltages are constantly changing (or is it the watts?) with the RPM's and it can, and probably will wear out your battery.

--If you have already worn down battery, go right ahead. It wont hurt none. I would recommend "Monster" and "Griffin" brand.

----linky

With #2. You don't get anything other than average sound. Gets really annoying if your anal like me and notice ANY audio flaws. You can get them as cheap as $5 dollars. I bought one for $10 and it was a bad choice. It only played audio on the left side of my car. Spend $15 and get a nice one. You wont regret it.

With #3. This is the best way to get sound from your ipod to your car. You must have that line in (aux) first.

--Some cd players have an auxiliary in the back that looks like a large ps1 port. You can buy $50 dollar ipod adapters so that you can hook up your ipod to the adapter with a ipod adapter cord and the adapter to the back of the cd player. (the aux port on the back looks also looks like a LARGE s-video port, REALLY easy installation)

----linky

Ive given this speech to so many people working in the electronics dept in a Target :D

I disagree with you. I've had a belkin transmitter for months now and it works better than the itrip i had before it.

Cassette player is great, you'll have better play quality. If it's a new car look for an Auxiliary input. If you have one, use that it's the best way hands down over any of the other options.

I have had the $40 Griffin iTrip and the $99 Monster FM Transmitter and neither of them worked perfectly. In fact the iTrip worked just as well as the Monster for less than half the price.

I would like to try out the whole "unscrew the antennae" thing...but my antennae is built into my back window :(

I would recommend the tape deck thing as it won't sound worse than an FM Transmitter in a heavy radio area (which is just bad) and it'll be cheaper.