Boy punched mom!

Tracid

If it was one of my children...the police would not have been involved. A parent should have more control over a child than that. The kid didn't turn into a raging manic overnight. Discipline should have been instilled long before this happened.

And if my son was to hit my wife.....*my mind just went a little psycho*

If I had a kid that raged that badly over games, he wouldn't be allowed near them - period. If he's too young to be convicted, then obviously he's still a squirt compared to his mother, let alone his father, so obviously the real deal going on here is there is no discipline in the house.

In my days,20 something years ago,my dad would have beat the crap out of me.and i mean me literally crapping my pants due to the force of the blows.If my son hit his mother over something small as "time to get off of the x-box",i would have went to jail for child abuse,because,he would have been admitted to the nearest hospital with SEVERE injuries.I come from the old school way of parenting,i.e.,your parents are respected NO matter what happens.If you felt man enough,you called your dad out and we fought in the yard.You NEVER,NEVER,NEVER put your hands on a woman,specially you MOTHER,no mettar what.I'm sorry if i offend anyone with my way of thinking,but the way child protective services doesn't let you disipline you child,spanking,not beating,the kids nowadays don't have the respect I did growing up.

In my days,20 something years ago,my dad would have beat the crap out of me.and i mean me literally crapping my pants due to the force of the blows.If my son hit his mother over something small as "time to get off of the x-box",i would have went to jail for child abuse,because,he would have been admitted to the nearest hospital with SEVERE injuries.I come from the old school way of parenting,i.e.,your parents are respected NO matter what happens.If you felt man enough,you called your dad out and we fought in the yard.You NEVER,NEVER,NEVER put your hands on a woman,specially you MOTHER,no mettar what.I'm sorry if i offend anyone with my way of thinking,but the way child protective services doesn't let you disipline you child,spanking,not beating,the kids nowadays don't have the respect I did growing up.

Quoted for truth.

Now days, you can't lay a finger on your kid unless you want something bad to happen to you. Another reason not to expose your kids to video games very early in their life.

Quoted for truth.

Now days, you can't lay a finger on your kid unless you want something bad to happen to you. Another reason not to expose your kids to video games very early in their life.

It always differs in every situation. It's my belief that a constant level of discipline throughout life will regulate their behaviour and not affect their love towards you - AKA moderate spanking. The older they get with a poor level of discipline, the more they need to be put in their place by a good belt up the head, like this kid. But I can assure you, a piece of the very love a child has for you is lost with every overly-violent strike. An adult can get over being punched by a wimpy, teen kid. A child, a teen, or even a young adult will not get over having the crap beat out of them by their parents because they're the powerless ones, in every situation.

Hitting your child is never, ever, ever required. Violence begets violence. This boy was raised to hit his mother, plain and simple. If these parents had done their job in the first place this would never happen. If you ask me, a son hitting his mother should be reason to investigate the mother's ability to raise the child. Albeit in this situation it sounds like the boy is quite old (+16 I would guess as it doesn't say in the report and he gave the cops a run for their money so I doubt he was much younger)

Hitting your child is never, ever, ever required. Violence begets violence. This boy was raised to hit his mother, plain and simple. If these parents had done their job in the first place this would never happen. If you ask me, a son hitting his mother should be reason to investigate the mother's ability to raise the child. Albeit in this situation it sounds like the boy is quite old (+16 I would guess as it doesn't say in the report and he gave the cops a run for their money so I doubt he was much younger)

I disagree Mo. I come from a European background and when i was raised beatings were common, of course only when we did something wrong. But we learned right from wrong very quickly. Funny I had this discussion with a friend of mine during the weekend while driving to Toronto and he was saying that he has a student in his class who is so abusive at home that his mother is fearful of her life because of him. She said that her biggest regret was not punishing and beating him as a child. I believe that children who were raised that were properly punished (in my view) turn out to be not so bad in their older years. As I said I learned right from wrong the hard way....If I even so much as thought about hitting my mother or father for that matter (as a kid) I would already see the reprocussions and it was better to just bite my toung and stay quiet.

I disagree Mo. I come from a European background and when i was raised beatings were common, of course only when we did something wrong. But we learned right from wrong very quickly. Funny I had this discussion with a friend of mine during the weekend while driving to Toronto and he was saying that he has a student in his class who is so abusive at home that his mother is fearful of her life because of him. She said that her biggest regret was not punishing and beating him as a child. I believe that children who were raised that were properly punished (in my view) turn out to be not so bad in their older years. As I said I learned right from wrong the hard way....If I even so much as thought about hitting my mother or father for that matter (as a kid) I would already see the reprocussions and it was better to just bite my toung and stay quiet.

Just because it scared you enough doesn't mean that it actually worked...who knows what kind of subconscious effects violence has on children and how it will affect them later in life? Violence towards a child is bad parenting, no ifs, ands or buts about it. My parents did it too and they are amazing people, but they should have never raised a hand against me and they know it (and regret it). No parents are perfect (I don't want you to see this as me saying your parents were "bad") and usually if a little violence is the worst thing a parent does to their child the child will still turn out alright. On the other hand, some children could be very adversely affected by even the smallest acts of violence, so the lesson is any violence is too much. Punishment is one thing, but punishment through violence is just plain lazy parenting.

Just because it scared you enough doesn't mean that it actually worked...who knows what kind of subconscious effects violence has on children and how it will affect them later in life? Violence towards a child is bad parenting, no ifs, ands or buts about it. My parents did it too and they are amazing people, but they should have never raised a hand against me and they know it (and regret it). No parents are perfect (I don't want you to see this as me saying your parents were "bad") and usually if a little violence is the worst thing a parent does to their child the child will still turn out alright. On the other hand, some children could be very adversely affected by even the smallest acts of violence, so the lesson is any violence is too much. Punishment is one thing, but punishment through violence is just plain lazy parenting.

interesting standpoint. Well Mo i can say without a doubt that everyone in my community was raised in the same manor and all of us turned out all right, upstanding model citizens in the community. I'm not saying beat your child senseless but a tap on the bum or a small slap on the face is warranted in some occasions when the child has been warned several times (as was our case) my parents first instinct wasn't to discipline with beating, but they warned us several times and as a last result used the hand.

violence in punishing a child is just like every other issue in the world...it's not black and white. It's also not the only factor on how a child grows up.

My parents spanked me occasionally when I did something wrong...and I can't think of a single time in my life when I got a spanking and felt like I didn't deserve it. That said, my parents never spanked me unless it was the last straw. So it's not JUST the fact that I was spanked that made me who I am today (which is the least violent person you might ever meet)...it's also everything else they raised me with. It was how they treated me and my opinions, it was how they showed that they cared about me by crying when I did, it was how they showed me how to treat other human beings through their own actions towards others ESPECIALLY their actions when those people weren't around.

It's the same for this kid and others like him. He might use that violence because it was used against him, he might also use that violence because it WASN'T used against him. Above all, he learned that lack of respect for authority because that's what was shown to him.

violence in punishing a child is just like every other issue in the world...it's not black and white. It's also not the only factor on how a child grows up.

My parents spanked me occasionally when I did something wrong...and I can't think of a single time in my life when I got a spanking and felt like I didn't deserve it. That said, my parents never spanked me unless it was the last straw. So it's not JUST the fact that I was spanked that made me who I am today (which is the least violent person you might ever meet)...it's also everything else they raised me with. It was how they treated me and my opinions, it was how they showed that they cared about me by crying when I did, it was how they showed me how to treat other human beings through their own actions towards others ESPECIALLY their actions when those people weren't around.

It's the same for this kid and others like him. He might use that violence because it was used against him, he might also use that violence because it WASN'T used against him. Above all, he learned that lack of respect for authority because that's what was shown to him.

Sounds like you got really nice parents. I dealt with all of my issues alone, which isn't necessarily bad because it allowed me to build a strong character. It reminds me of how I visited a work friend's house who has two children and we were sitting out back having a bbq. He then took his two kids out before it got dark and played catch, frisbee, basketball and that hook and cup thing (there were toys everywhere) for almost two hours. I even said to him, I'm surprised to see a single father spend so much time with his kids, in which he was only baffled. When I was bored, my parents bought me lego, GI Joe or a video game and told me to go to my room and play. It's two entirely different ways of parenting that produce equally good results.

As for the kid, I feel the same way that we just don't have the full story and that people should think twice before flocking to the mother's side. For all we know, she could have struck him first, said something completely unacceptable or whatever. Of course, we are talking about the "Halo kids" here. Don't we want these kids to get beat up? :P

How is beating a child any different than beating your wife? Punishment with violence against someone that can not fight back equally is cowardly and lazy. Period.

Putting the fear of beatings in someone will probably work and stop their behavior. Sure. They will not do it because they fear getting beat. Wonderful impression to give to children.

How is beating a child any different than beating your wife? Punishment with violence against someone that can not fight back equally is cowardly and lazy. Period.

Putting the fear of beatings in someone will probably work and stop their behavior. Sure. They will not do it because they fear getting beat. Wonderful impression to give to children.

you can't relate the two. Wife beaters will hit their wives hard and maybe more than once. What i refer to as a "beating" is spanking and the occasional tap on the cheek.

It's different mentalities of being raised i guess. European vs North American. I'm not saying either is right or wrong and i'm not saying "beat you kids" but if they dont want to listen after many warnings...are you just going to say "ok I give up you win".

you can't relate the two. Wife beaters will hit their wives hard and maybe more than once. What i refer to as a "beating" is spanking and the occasional tap on the cheek.

It's different mentalities of being raised i guess. European vs North American. I'm not saying either is right or wrong and i'm not saying "beat you kids" but if they dont want to listen after many warnings...are you just going to say "ok I give up you win".

No way! Just warn them again! :wiggle2: