Any gun enthusiast / experts here?

Mossad

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FTW! :) Sub Compact XD in .40 cal

XD9802.jpg

The more I read about the XDs, the more I think they are what I am looking for. Pretty positive all around. Hopefully they aren't in too short supply these days though. I'd probably be interested in the XD "service" w/ 4" barrel in 9x19 form.

The XD line is great and reliable, but you should make sure you actually hold one before purchasing. I have owned a few handguns over the years and have learned my lesson. My last handgun for personal protection was a Glock29 which is 10mm, a bigger gun. I sold it to buy the Smith&Wesson .40 i have now because of the way it felt in my hands. Personally i don't like the feel of the XD's but everyone's hands are diff. The XD's are not in short supply either, most gun dealers will have a few. The local dealer here has a bunch, new and used. They are hard to beat for the price and reliability and the package that you get when you purchase.

I've played enough CS to know how to shoot a gun.

Just remember that your sniper rifle reloads a lot faster if you drop it, pull out your sidearm, then holster it again really quickly. Those bad guys won't know what hit 'em.

srsly though

I do plan to go to a dealer and check out a few different models before buying anything. I'll then look around for a class that my wife and I can take together to make sure we're proficient with it.

Edited by boiler

From what I've read, it seems like the Glocks are pretty much a love them or hate them gun. My wife has decent sized hands for a woman, so she might be able to handle something a bit larger, but price starts coming into consideration there.

Another thing that needs to be considered is that I shoot lefty, so it will need to be "ambidextrous-friendly". I've fired guns made for right handed people and it's a pain to do anything other than pull the trigger.

Eventually I'd like to get a .45 auto (like a Kimber 1911 or something), but for the first (and for now only) gun I was thinking Glock/Springfield for their easy handle and operation.

Thankfully on the home invasion front, I have an 85lb Lab that barks like something twice his size (and can hear people walking to my front door from two floors up with the TV on). I'm guessing that's almost as good of a deterrent as having an alarm system :)

The ruger's eject up and right, but the mag eject is on the left side so it mi9ght not be the best for tac use. If just range and home protection use then you should like it. Go over to a Bass Pro or a cabellas if there is one near you and look at the hand guns. I do suggest doing research though or you will end up going cheap and getting crap

Laz, if you want something compact in the .45, check out Kahr Arms, they aren't cheap, but they are awesome guns and about the thinnest .45 you can find.

Have you actually fired one Clue? As far as looks/spec it seems ok. Price is nice.

Here's the conceal/.45 model. 7rd mag

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_45acp_cw.html

I have not had a chance to fire it, but I have handled it. My best friend has one, he has a CCW and that is his primary carry gun, he has fired many rounds through it, he says it's a great shooter.

If you have big hands they will grab that piece of skin between yer thumb and pointer. Not fun at all. My brother had one a few years ago and it made me want to cuss lol. Same w/ Glock and the polymer S&W. My favorite handgun is similar to what Bush put as his recommended one but it's the mosel 229 w/ .357 sig :)

(edited)

Well, I officially ordered a Springfield Armory XDM 9mm today. I went over to a Gander Mountain near our house with my wife, and we checked out several options. I looked at a S&W Sigma (cheap in price, but felt cheap in the hand as well), S&W m&p (I believe - the $500ish one), and some XDs. They didn't have any XDs in 9mm, but they had a few in .357 and .40 and they actually had an XDM (.40 S&W) there. My wife and I both checked out the XDs and the "M", and both liked the feel of the XDM better. I called my local "preferred" shop today and their distributor actually had one in stock! I jumped on it, and will be picking it up on Wednesday :)

It's a 4.5" barrel (vs 4" on the XD) so it's a little bigger, but the 19+1 capacity is sweeeeet. Mine is going to be all black instead of the bi-metal look. I might have picked the two-tone given a choice, but I wasn't going to be picky with availability being limited. Springfield is also offering 2 additional mags w/ holder with every XD or XDM purchase through Jan 15th (rebate form though, ugh), so that's 4 mags with 19 rounds apiece. :freak3:

I have started to look into a safe, a slightly better holster than the stock one it comes with, and how to go through the application process for legal carry in Indiana (lifetime license is $125). I'm asking around to find a good class that my wife and I can take as soon as possible.

If anyone is interested, I'll post up a couple of pics once I have it in hand.

Edited by boiler

What makes the M different from the standard XD? I haven't done any research on it....even though I browsed your link, I didn't see a comparison to the original.

BTW! Beautiful pistol!! You will truly enjoy it. The next pistol I get will be a Springfield XD...hands down! So if you have any tips, please share.

What makes the M different from the standard XD? I haven't done any research on it....even though I browsed your link, I didn't see a comparison to the original.

BTW! Beautiful pistol!! You will truly enjoy it. The next pistol I get will be a Springfield XD...hands down! So if you have any tips, please share.

Here's a quick breakdown of the highlights of XDm vs XD (borrowed from xdtalk.com):

1. the XDM has a better quality match grade barrel (more accurate)

2. you can change the back strap on the grip for variation in grip size

3. has better recoil system (heavy duty guide rod spring)

4. XDm only has 4.5" barrel, XDs come in 3", 4", and 5" variations.

5. has a MRT (minimal reset trigger) similar to sig's SRT (short reset trigger)- this is a great improvement for follow up shots.

6. deeper, longer slide grasp serrations for grip

7. more texture on polymer frame for better grip and control.

8. 19+1 9mm capacity vs. 16+1 in standard XD.

9. XDms are only available in 9mm and .40 S&W. There is some talk that they will eventually come out with a .45ACP version, but Springfield has been quiet on this so far.

10. You can break the XDm down without having to pull the trigger, so it's slightly easier to do.

I held both the XD and the XDm prior to purchasing, and the XDm just felt better in the hand. I can't attest to the differences in trigger pull as I did not dry fire the XD, but my XDm feels very good.

The only downside I can see to this one so far is that it is a little large for concealed carry. I am planning on applying for my carry permit next week, so when I get it down the road then I'll start looking for a good conceal holster. I think I would be able to carry it occasionally without too much issue, but it probably wouldn't be an every-day type carry weapon (unless you're an LEO and can open carry).

• 2 weeks later...

Wolf ammo isn't top tier but I have never had a misfire or anything. I pull the trigger and the pullet goes where I wanted it to, so how does it suck when I only buy it for target and plinking?

Oh and Cabellas is free when you pick up at a store (there's one pretty close to me)

Ammoman is not free shipping he carries that cost into his ammo price, this means that if you're 20 miles or 10 states away you pay the same for shipping cost.

Whatever ammo you use...make sure it's jacketed so you don't crud your gun up, cheap target ammo is usually non-jacketed.

Laz, you can never go wrong with a 1911, especially a Colt. I knew a guy that had an Officers Model which looks very similar to that in size...his was made very light, so it had some kick to it. If you are looking for a concealed carry weapon, it wouldn't be my 1st choice...I could never get over the idea of carrying a weapon with the hammer cocked all the time.

I could never get over the idea of carrying a weapon with the hammer cocked all the time.

It really isn't different from a striker type firearm like Glock or XDs :shrug03:

That's what safeties are for! :)

I still haven't been able to get to a range yet with my new XDm <_< but I did pick up 100 rounds of Blazer Brass at Walmart the other day. $8.46 for 50, not too bad.

I don't have a 1911 style pistol, but from everything I have read and heard they require a little more TLC than some of the polymer types like XDs and glocks.

In other news, I applied for my carry permit this last week, lifetime permit for $125. They said I might not get it until March though. Once I've had a little trigger time with my XDm, I think I'll be comfortable carry with one in the chamber. The grip safety really adds an extra layer of piece of mind for me.