Any gun enthusiast / experts here?

Mossad

I've been looking into getting a new pistol the past week, i'm looking a for a center fire pistol in the $500 - 700 range - either a 9mm or .40 cal.I recently tested out the S&W - m&p 9mm. I really really liked this weapon, couple of neat things are the 3 different grips you get with the weapon, much longer sights than the glock and a $50 buck rebate from s&w w/ 2 xtra clips.Does anyone else have some suggestions? I'm also probably gonna be taking the conceal carry class soon. Probably will get the license but never carry a firearm on me, I'm more interested in the laws and what I'm legally allowed to do if I'm every faced with a situation if I need to use it.Any insight would be helpful

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the M&P. Nice gun, doesn't really fit my hand that well though. M&P fits a larger hand.

I personally like the Springfield XD. http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php This is my favorite gun. I really like the dual safety. One in the grip and the other in the trigger. Double action only. The one I would carry is the Sub Compact XD in either a 9mm or 40. Again the caliber is just a choice. They both are gonna do the job, but the 40 will truly make a bigger mark. With Springfield, you get free gear with a XD package. A holster, loader and extra mag's plus a nice case.

If you want accuracy, go with the 9mm. If you want knockdown power...40 cal. It just depends on your shooting ability between the two. 9mm is cheaper to shoot than 40 cal. A whole lot less recoil ( sometimes this depends on the gun and how it is built ) with the 9mm. 9mm will be lighter on the wallet to practice with.

The longer the barrel the higher the caliber. That would be my thoughts. A high caliber gun with throw the end of the barrel up no matter how strong you are.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976971485/Guns/...ight_sights.htm

H&K and Sig arms are prolly the best two compact .40 cal. I have the H&K .357 sig myself but I had the usp .40 a few years ago and traded it in on my Sig. It is fairly accurate for a compact but most of all it never jams, very dependable. The S&W is an ok firearm but in the long run you will like the USP more I think. Of course that is just my opinion. :)

The S&W is a very nice gun, I thought about buying one, just never got around to it....I have a pile of guns already that I rarely get a chance to shoot anymore, lol.

In my opinion...the Springfield XD's are a little boxy...at least for my liking. I had a S&W 3913 which was a small frame 9mm. I used that when I went through the police academy, it was a great gun, light, not at all bulky, and VERY reliable. I fired 1000's of rounds from that gun, not 1 problem.

I would have to give my vote to the S&W since its a good all around gun...not too big, not too small, so if you do get a CCW permit and decide to carry now and again...it will work for you.

I have had my CCW permit for a couple years now, and when I have a nice little Keltec .380 with a pocket knive style clip on it..no need for holster....very cool little piece :)

The Springfield XD looks like it would be easy to conceal. Personally this is what I carry I've had my c&c for five years now and when I went through the training that gun is what my instructor recommended. It you are going to carry most everybody recommends going with a .45 acp for knockdown purpose's. The Sig P220 is also the same gun that most Secret Service and FBI agents carry so there is a reason for it.

Edited by BushMaster

The Springfield XD looks like it would be easy to conceal. Personally this is what I carry I've had my c&c for five years now and when I went through the training that gun is that my instructor recommended. It you are going to carry most everybody recommends going with a .45 acp for knockdown purpose's. The Sig P220 is also the same gun that most Secret Service and FBI agents carry so there is a reason for it.

Sig's are very nice....I always wanted to buy one of those too, lol. I still have yet to shoot my latest purchase...a ParaOrdinance .45...I can never seem to find the time anymore :(

The Springfield XD looks like it would be easy to conceal. Personally this is what I carry I've had my c&c for five years now and when I went through the training that gun is that my instructor recommended. It you are going to carry most everybody recommends going with a .45 acp for knockdown purpose's. The Sig P220 is also the same gun that most Secret Service and FBI agents carry so there is a reason for it.

Sig's are very nice....I always wanted to buy one of those too, lol. I still have yet to shoot my latest purchase...a ParaOrdinance .45...I can never seem to find the time anymore :(

What are you doing before the next FragFest? We can make time..

I live in New Orleans now and I plan to come up for a week or so around that time so I can visit friends and family too. If I drive, I will bring my guns because I would LOVE to shoot! I also have a pre-ban AR15 that I havent shot yet either....I would like to get out there with that as well :)

I live in New Orleans now and I plan to come up for a week or so around that time so I can visit friends and family too. If I drive, I will bring my guns because I would LOVE to shoot! I also have a pre-ban AR15 that I havent shot yet either....I would like to get out there with that as well :)

I'll bring my M4 /post ban upper. Sounds like good fun.. I have about a thousand rounds I need to get rid of, but I'm not driving. So may be we'll have to get a hold of ammo man dot com and have the goods delivered to Fatty's? .223 is still cheap these day's..

if you are looking into the sig market give the p226 a try it is used world wide by government and law enforcement very dependable and rock solid accuracy if you have the smaller type hand go with the p226 same gun but compact down side only offered in 9mm happy shooting

I'll bring my M4 /post ban upper. Sounds like good fun.. I have about a thousand rounds I need to get rid of, but I'm not driving. So may be we'll have to get a hold of ammo man dot com and have the goods delivered to Fatty's? .223 is still cheap these day's..

Thats an idea...you can Fed-Ex guns too.

Only thing I currently have is an H&R Victor Revolver, I'd like to get something a bit bigger than a 22 though.. have no clue what i want to get yet though :-\

My dad also has a pre-ban AR that we are going to go get, it was recently confiscated while his friend was holding onto it so he's working on getting that back, supposedly he's going to be passing that down to me!

Edited by Windex

I've been looking into getting a new pistol the past week, i'm looking a for a center fire pistol in the $500 - 700 range - either a 9mm or .40 cal.I recently tested out the S&W - m&p 9mm. I really really liked this weapon, couple of neat things are the 3 different grips you get with the weapon, much longer sights than the glock and a $50 buck rebate from s&w w/ 2 xtra clips.Does anyone else have some suggestions? I'm also probably gonna be taking the conceal carry class soon. Probably will get the license but never carry a firearm on me, I'm more interested in the laws and what I'm legally allowed to do if I'm every faced with a situation if I need to use it.Any insight would be helpful

i knew it was only a matter of time before one of us started turning CS into reality :D

As for gun laws, it all depends on what state you're in. I've heard some crazy laws out there in the states.

i knew it was only a matter of time before one of us started turning CS into reality :D

As for gun laws, it all depends on what state you're in. I've heard some crazy laws out there in the states.

In Texas it is mandatory to kill a gun, all violators will be shot ... all survivors will be shot again

:P

Biggest thing to remember about laws and a CCW permit is that every bullet has a lawyers name on it....they actually teach you that exact sentence, lol.

The laws are primarily the same across the board, the only difference with the permit is that you can carry concealed. You can only use your weapon as a VERY last resort....if you are in court for a shooting, they will completely examine the situation to determine if there was any was possible to escape without shooting. And the gun is only for your own protection, and that of your family...if you see something happening to someone else...you are not to interfere...at least with your gun. And the thing to remember if you are ever in court....you NEVER shoot to kill...only to stop the person...if they died in the process, that was never your intent...lawyers are famous for asking you "why did you kill him?".

The CCW laws have greatly reduced violent crime, the statistics are most noticeable in Florida where in the first couple years, the types of crime they looked at were reduced by about 400,000 incidents!

Hopefully all of us with permits, and those of you getting them, will only benefit from the added security and NEVER have to draw your weapon, that's all we can hope for :)

I tried the p228 tonight at the range and it didn't really fit my hand very well, I then tried an assortment of glocks, but for some reason I kept going back and looking at the 9mm m&p and firing that. So I decided to purchase that tonight, after about 10 minutes of backround checks and paying for the weapon I walked in the range and fired new weapon. I put about 200 rounds through it tonight and had 0 problems.

Congrats! The range near me has a few nice ones for sale, I'm about to be beginning the same process.. I just got my raise at work yest, so I can actually afford one now!

I have two guns already, a .22 winchester rifle (single shot bold action) and a H&R Victor .22 but the Victor needs to be repaired (It was bought damaged, I haven't fired it yet)

Edited by Windex

I tried the p228 tonight at the range and it didn't really fit my hand very well, I then tried an assortment of glocks, but for some reason I kept going back and looking at the 9mm m&p and firing that. So I decided to purchase that tonight, after about 10 minutes of backround checks and paying for the weapon I walked in the range and fired new weapon. I put about 200 rounds through it tonight and had 0 problems.

Great purchase man, you won't be disappointed!!

a few months ago I picked up a S&W sw9ve 9mm. Practically brand new, two 16 round clips, and a super duper protective carrying case for $200. Now that I am thinking about it, I need to take it to the parents house for christmas. 100 acre farm, no shooting ranges within 100 miles.

Congrats! The range near me has a few nice ones for sale, I'm about to be beginning the same process.. I just got my raise at work yest, so I can actually afford one now!

I have two guns already, a .22 winchester rifle (single shot bold action) and a H&R Victor .22 but the Victor needs to be repaired (It was bought damaged, I haven't fired it yet)

Nothing wrong with .22's for target shooting, I have a Walther P22 that I LOVE, I would actually rather shoot that most of the time...partially because I can buy 1000 rounds for about 12 bucks, LOL.