Any gun enthusiast / experts here?

Mossad

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i ever got a gun, it would be a revolver... i wouldn't trust anything else

It's all about what you are comfortable with, knowledge is the key...once you learn about and respect the gun, there is no reason why you could'nt get whatever you want, but yes..revolvers are a good place to start. They are easier, less moving parts, and less to think about, which is a good thing if you have never owned or shot a gun.

They are nice for protection as well if you arent very experienced because adreneline causes lack of fine motor skill, which can get you killed if you arent totally comfortable with your weapon.

It's all about what you are comfortable with, knowledge is the key...once you learn about and respect the gun, there is no reason why you could'nt get whatever you want, but yes..revolvers are a good place to start. They are easier, less moving parts, and less to think about, which is a good thing if you have never owned or shot a gun.

They are nice for protection as well if you arent very experienced because adreneline causes lack of fine motor skill, which can get you killed if you arent totally comfortable with your weapon.

Also...playing russian roulette with an automatic handgun really looses its appeal after the first round.

i just wouldn't want the thing to jam on me... and yes, my panic mode is not the greatest either... i would try to remember my training and fail :)

Also...playing russian roulette with an automatic handgun really looses its appeal after the first round.

good one man

• 11 months later...
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatal...mp;productid=90

I have the .357 model, best auto handgun I have ever fired.

That's a nice self defense weapon. ;)

I went with S&W .40 Sigma and the meanest ammo i can get. I hear people talking about they dont want their gun to jam when they really need it. I take this gun to the range a lot and put boxes and boxes through it and i have never gotten a jam in this gun. I trust it to my life. With a revolver you get your shots that are loaded up which is like 5 right, then your done. Enemies usually come in pairs so you better hope that every shot hits where it should. The route i took was practice practice practice at the range, load a few clips with winchester Ranger JHP's and sleep soundly at night knowing that i can switch a new 14round clip in, in less then 2 seconds. FBI reports that most of these panic situations are in home at night and intruders not standing still.

I would consider myself an enthusiast here. I have been around guns since i was 7 with a break action 4/10 shotgun. Now i have a .357 revolver, S&W .40, 300 Whetherby, and a .22 rifle with a beefy scope for plinking around with. Oh and the 20guage shotty

I leave the shotty loaded in my room with buckshot, .40 loaded w winchester rangers 155gr JHP. The other guns stay tucked away.

range002.jpg

range001.jpg

shotty006.jpg

protection001.jpg

Biggest thing is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE :)

I've had a Glock model 23 for almost 12 years. Super reliable. Fairly accurate. Tough as nails. Not that expensive.

Of all the .40 handguns I've fired, the 23 has been my favorite. It is a bit small if you have big hands, as I do, unless your fingers are skinny (as mine are). Good tuck away piece. I have a really nice molded, lockable conceal holster for it. Very good.

I would take the .40 S&W over any 9mm any day.

I'm looking to get a handgun myself now. I'm looking for something $500-ish, semi-auto. The wife will need to be able to handle it as well, so .45 ACP is out ;)

I've had my eye on a glock 19 and springfield xd. Any thoughts/ other suggestions? I plan to get a ccw but do not intend to carry (more of a just in case thing). Not sure if I should be considering .40 cal over 9 mm but the wife factor is key there.

I just bought a Ruger P90 .45 Cal and I love it. If you wife doesn't have very small hands like mine it is a great gun, if she has small hands I suggest going with a S&W. I have a really big prejudice against Glock because they rattle when fully loaded and I guess my millitary background just makes me want that tactical firearm that will never give ya up. Anyone that knows me will laugh at this because my days of sneaking up on bad guys in the dark are well behind me lol

You guys are talking like there is some sort of war raging across the country heh.

With a revolver you get your shots that are loaded up which is like 5 right, then your done. Enemies usually come in pairs so you better hope that every shot hits where it should.

How often have you been attacked in your home by one guy, much less two? How do you know that 'enemies' usually come in pairs? heh :)

On a side note, guns are sooo damn sexy. I would buy one just to caress it, maybe name it 'Matilda' and give it presents at xmas heh :).

Shaftiel

My sister has a home invasion 8 years ago and there were 2 men. My brother in law fired a 12 gauge and they decided they had the wrong house and left faster than they thought they could run lol.

They were caught and found out to be responsible for 3 other robberies in the area. Scary stuff. Noone was hurt but that's because my brother in law is the suckiest shot in the family lol.

You guys are talking like there is some sort of war raging across the country heh.

With a revolver you get your shots that are loaded up which is like 5 right, then your done. Enemies usually come in pairs so you better hope that every shot hits where it should.

How often have you been attacked in your home by one guy, much less two? How do you know that 'enemies' usually come in pairs? heh :)

Shaftiel

I've never had my home broken into and hope i never do. I have done a fair amount of research and most of the time burglars come in pairs. It will be dark, just rolling out of bed, etc so i decided for myself atleast a revolver was not the best choice.

Preach, glad no one was hurt and they were caught.

We have a pretty good alarm system, sirens will start screaming if someone tries to open a door or window....which will give me ample time to select my weapon of choice....either my .380, .45, or .357mag.....there's always the tactical 12 gauge too....decisions, decisions.

From what I've read, it seems like the Glocks are pretty much a love them or hate them gun. My wife has decent sized hands for a woman, so she might be able to handle something a bit larger, but price starts coming into consideration there.

Another thing that needs to be considered is that I shoot lefty, so it will need to be "ambidextrous-friendly". I've fired guns made for right handed people and it's a pain to do anything other than pull the trigger.

Eventually I'd like to get a .45 auto (like a Kimber 1911 or something), but for the first (and for now only) gun I was thinking Glock/Springfield for their easy handle and operation.

Thankfully on the home invasion front, I have an 85lb Lab that barks like something twice his size (and can hear people walking to my front door from two floors up with the TV on). I'm guessing that's almost as good of a deterrent as having an alarm system :)

Still in love with my Ruger KP-90 with the Hague grips. Loaded with some Federal 230gr. Hydra-shok JHPs, it'll handle whatever comes up.

These Grips:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?m...03&return=Y

On this gun:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?m...22&return=Y

My Washington CCW wasn't valid after I became a full resident here. So now that I have a valid new for here, I'm looking to get something smaller and easier to conceal (and weighs less!)

I want to stick with .45, but in the subcompact range.

Not sure yet, Im gonna shop till January for it.

Mossberg scoped 12ga with 6x3"mags as well.

Rem .22 scoped for fun.

.38 special snubby revolver.