Any gun enthusiast / experts here?

Mossad

WooHoo!

Guess what I got for Valentines Day!@!

I got my Colt New Agent .45! I mentioned it above that Id been watching it for a while now.

Heres some pics (from a review, not from me). I love the feel of this thing, and we found a new one (cased exactly as shown in the pic) for $150 less than what we'd been watching, so, We Got it!

http://ezine.m1911.org/ColtNA.htm

Looks beautiful, feels great. I wanna shoot it tomorrow. Heavy-ish, but not too heavy. Its solid. I draw it up perfect every time eyes-closed. I like the sight system (or lack of).

I gotta grab a backside in-the-pants for it, and I'll be good to go after putting some rounds through it.

WooHoo!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife got a Ruger SP101 .357 Revolver for Valentines Day. :D

SP101

Me, I carry your basice Glock G26, subcompact 9mm. Like it a lot. Easy to conceal and shoots really well. It's like a hammer, not very pretty but it works when you need it.

G26

My wife got a Ruger SP101 .357 Revolver for Valentines Day. :D

SP101

Me, I carry your basice Glock G26, subcompact 9mm. Like it a lot. Easy to conceal and shoots really well. It's like a hammer, not very pretty but it works when you need it.

G26

Heh, this caught my eye regarding the G26..

All three pistol safeties are deactivated when the trigger is pulled -and automatically activated when it is released.

I'm sure I'm missing something since I don't own a gun, but that seems like it completely defeats the purpose of the safeties... heh :)

Shaftiel

No. The purpose of safeties is so that it does NOT fire when you DONT want it to. They have no bearing on when you DO want it to (other than slowing you down).

Gun owners [should] understand that you DONT have a finger on the trigger [EVER] unless you DO want bullets to come out.

Hence....

Grabbing the grip and squeezing the trigger will deactivate all safeties. This configuration should only happen when you WANT bullets to come out.

If you aren't doing this at the same time, it wont fire (bumping trigger when hand isnt holding grip, dropping it won't activate firing mechanism, etc).

GLOCK ADVANTAGE

PSYCHOLOGY

Every use of a firearm exposes users to tremendous psychological strain. Learned patterns are easily forgotten in such borderline situations and complex operating elements become a deadly trap. GLOCK offers the best solution to this problem: “Safe Action“!

One operating element - one rule. Finger away from the trigger, three pistol safeties are active. Pull the trigger, the safeties are deactivated and the pistol is fired. Consequently the user can fully concentrate on his tactical tasks in the decisive moment

OK, so a kid grabs the gun and pulls the trigger... I guess I just think a safety should not allow the gun to fire unless you remove it. Otherwise anyone who can pick it up can accidentally shoot it. Doesn't seem very 'safety-ish' to me.

Shaftiel

OK, so a kid grabs the gun and pulls the trigger..

Exactly!

The point of it is, if you grab the gun and pull the trigger, it does its job and releases a bullet. If this is an ending result you DONT want to happen, you do not allow it....for example not having said bullet inside of said gun, or putting the gun somewhere unattainable, or putting a lock on it, or loading the clip but not chambering a round, or not buying it, etc.

(EDIT: It really sounds like you are confusing a "safety" that stops accidental firing and misfires, with a "Trigger Lock" or "Action Guard" or some such thing ( like a big padlock over the trigger...that WILL actually stop a kid from pulling said trigger.)

Pressing a button NEXT to the trigger instead of a button ON the trigger isn't gonna slow said kid down very much in making it go bang ( Half a second lets say?). But, it IS too much of a slow down if you are attempting to draw and fire in an explosive law enforcement situation (for example).

I guess I just think a safety should not allow the gun to fire unless you remove it.

This is exactly what Glock's does. Theirs actually is very strong. And it will NOT fire (even if you drop it from a tower or run it over) unless you place your finger on top of that trigger safety and depress it, WHILE holding the grip firmly too, "removing" its blocking mechanism as you say.

Safeties are designed to prevent accidental firing ( catching on clothes, dropping, a myriad other examples etc etc). Safeties arent designed to make things go slower once you decide to pull the trigger and make bullets go at something or someone.

Oh, hey : Question to all of you:

Do any of you know if you can safely dry fire a 1911 style (such as my colt?). I can dry fire my Ruger all day long without any harm ( they recommend it actually). But I recently learned about not letting the slide slam home on a 1911 because of the triggering mechanism. Does this affect dry firing too?

So I read Laz's response and I understand the whole Glock safety thing but you have to admit that Glock are almost trying to be misleading with this:

Safe and ingeniously simple: Contrary to conventional, the trigger is the only operating element. All three pistol safeties are deactivated when the trigger is pulled -and automatically activated when it is released.

I actually learned about keeping your trigger finger off the trigger unless you intend to expel hot metal (when I was*) in boy scouts, my scout master was a police officer and used to take us to one of the police ranges here in Toronto. Ffor a Canadian kid this is like letting one of you (US natives) run around an US Army stockpile.

*lol reread this and found I needed to elaborate a little.

Growing up as the son of a trapper and hunter, and being a hunter myself, yes yes yes, never put your finger on the trigger unless you want to shoot!!!

Now I haven't shot many hand guns, but I have shot several rifles. Best shot was a bull moose at 395 yards with a Remington 308. :D :D :D Though, we hunt for the meat, not for the sport. Moose/deer is what we primarily eat.

Oh, hey : Question to all of you:

Do any of you know if you can safely dry fire a 1911 style (such as my colt?). I can dry fire my Ruger all day long without any harm ( they recommend it actually). But I recently learned about not letting the slide slam home on a 1911 because of the triggering mechanism. Does this affect dry firing too?

Generally, it is NOT recommended to dry fire 1911 style handguns (or most hammer-style semi-autos for that matter). Striker fired such as XDs, glocks, etc. can be dry fired all you like. It is actually recommended by Springfield for the XDs to get used to the trigger and help smooth it out.

I would pick up some snap caps for your colt if you want to practice fire (just make sure the real bullets are not in the same room while you're doing this).

*still waiting for actual pics of this gun - so it still has never happened in my book*

One of the initial reasons I picked XDs over glocks was the extra grip safety. I wasn't concerned about the safety of the glocks, but it gave my wife a little extra peace of mind. Once I held both though, the XD felt more comfortable, and aimed more naturally (they call it "point and shoot" aiming.) The grip angle on the glocks is kinda funny compared to most others. That said, the glocks are still plenty safe as long as you have good trigger discipline. They are not for setting around the house loaded with kids around though. I wouldn't do that with any handgun - kids can figure out a manual safety pretty darn easily.

**uh, mo, so the kids are calling it "hot metal" these days, huh? :biglaugha:

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! My only experience firing a 1911 style handgun is my dad's two Kimbers (Crimson Carry II and Ultra Carry). Sweet! How are the trench sights? They make loads of sense for carry purposes (won't snag anything), but I'm not sure how I'd like them for target/aiming.

I'd love to have a 1911 some day, but I'll have to "settle" for my two XDs for now.

The trenches arent as bad as I thought they'd be. Im steadily low and left with it so far (about 2x2 low and left at 10-12 yds), but holding an oval-shape 4" high and 8" wide at 10-12yds fast-fire. (Fairly fast firing, but not totally rapid). Something I noticed tho that I really like about them, is because it is set up like that, you don't even waste time to try to "aim" traditionally when you bring it up. I still have to try to defeat that with the Ruger, but not with this one. As soon as its up, its on, including if I bring it up eyes-closed ( I can't touch that with the Ruger).

Recovery is also much better than I expected for quick firing. Less perceived recoil than the Ruger, and faster back on target. I expected the opposite because the Rugers so big and heavy.

I do like the "stupid-proof" safety of the Ruger over the 1911 style. The KP-90's de-cocker is a nice feature. Rack one in and hit the safety on the Ruger, and it drops the hammer down after rotating the firing pin 90 degrees and putting a metal gate in front of it too. Then, as the Ruger is double action, just hit the safety and start shooting when you want it.

I finally got an in-the-pants for the Colt. Very nice. Its a whole different world than trying to drag that Ruger around.

For a carry, I love it. Im much more accurate with the Ruger at any real distance of course, but so what. That isn't what this one is for. I've been carrying the Colt un-chambered, and only chamber if I feel I might have a reason. I still get a little queasy thinking about that 1911- hammer back when its in my pants! :twitch:

Wifey tried it. She can handle it better than the Ruger, but she still feels its a little much for her. She still likes a .38, .380, or a 9.

For a carry, I love it. Im much more accurate with the Ruger at any real distance of course, but so what. That isn't what this one is for. I've been carrying the Colt un-chambered, and only chamber if I feel I might have a reason. I still get a little queasy thinking about that 1911- hammer back when its in my pants! :twitch:

Sounds like it has "point and shoot" ergonomics like my XDs. I can literally grab one, bring it up to my eye line and I am already lined up down the sights.

You may want to consider carrying "condition 1" eventually - carrying without one in the pipe isn't much good to you if you need it right now. You also may not have a free hand to rack it. Especially with a manual safety, "cocked and locked" is still plenty safe with the right holster and draw techniques. A quick flip on the safety, and you're ready to go. My XDs don't have a thumb safety, but I still plan to carry with one in the chamber. Finger off the trigger = no bang :wiggle2: I've even been working on unholstering without engaging the grip safety.

I know it will be a mental hurdle to get over (if my damn permit ever arrives...) but I'm confident in their safety and I'm sure you will be too once you get better acquainted with your new toy.

Yeah, I agree. Right now I carry inside front rt and inside back. For walking around its no big deal, but in and out of the car-seat etc is where I worry.

For example, when Im downtown, Im chambered and in reach in the car, same for carry. Local casual Im not as concerned tho. But as you said, it'll just be what Im eventually comfortable with.

• 1 month later...

Well Laz, guess what I picked up the other day :D I'll be taking it for it's first trip to the range tomorrow. Also my wife picked up a Ruger LCP. Quite the little pocket gun.

na1w.jpg

na2a.jpg

Nice!

Im still very happy with mine.

Don't try for target awards, but its not nearly as bad as you'd expect. And I still love the way it feels. I have zero regrets or buyer-remorse.

Tell us what you think after the range!

Let me know what the wife thinks of that Ruger. Wifey here is still looking for a good .380 or 9.

i was reading somewhere that the lcp's had alot of problems their first run of them. misfires and all kinda stuff, even had some recalls.

is that all taken care of now? or does anyone know.

i was reading somewhere that the lcp's had alot of problems their first run of them. misfires and all kinda stuff, even had some recalls.

is that all taken care of now? or does anyone know.

That's all been taken care of. Only issue we ran into with it is: When you load the clips with ammo be sure and tap the clip against your hand to make sure all rounds have seated fully against the back of the clip. Otherwise you will have mis-feeds & jams. Because of the tight tolerances with the gun. Other than that it shoots really well for such a small gun. My 71 year old father-in-law shot the center out of the target from 7 yards with the thing.

@ Laz,

I really like the Colt NA. My groupings are great all within a 2 inch area. I'm just down and left a bit from center on the target. Just need a little more practice. I wish the thing had the Glock trigger on it. My Glock 26 seems to be smoother and easier. Maybe once I fire a few more rounds thru the Colt it will get better. Only shot 150 rounds thru it so far. It is definitely a very nice carry piece.

@ Laz,

I really like the Colt NA. My groupings are great all within a 2 inch area. I'm just down and left a bit from center on the target. Just need a little more practice. I wish the thing had the Glock trigger on it. My Glock 26 seems to be smoother and easier. Maybe once I fire a few more rounds thru the Colt it will get better. Only shot 150 rounds thru it so far. It is definitely a very nice carry piece.

Thats interesting! That's the same way I'm shooting with it. Low and left.

I can get good groups at 21' if I'm taking my time. 12 yds with fairly rapid firing is about 6-8" groups tho.

Knew you'd like it!

Congrats.

• 1 month later...

Laz, check the colt website. There is a recall on several guns made after March 2007. My New Agent is one of them.

Here's some of the info.

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC has determined that the Slide Lock Safety and the Recoil Spring Guide Pad in certain Colt model pistols were not manufactured to Colt specifications and must be replaced. All of these Colt models were sold after March 2007 and the range of serial numbers affected by this product recall is as follows:

1911 WWI Replica (O1911) From: 4597WMK To: 5414WMK

1918 WWI Replica (O1918) From: 1001WWI To: 3431WWI

New Agent (O7810D) From: GT01001 To: GT04505

Combat Elite (O8011XSE) From: CG10000E To: CG11293E

Defender (O7000D) From: DR33036 To: DR35948

Talo Night Defender (O7000NDF) From: NDF0001 To: NDF0400

Colt Recall

Thanks Lunk. Im in there as well :(. No probs tho. Im quite happy to own a gun that the company recalls for a part replacement with ZERO personal or property damages reported so far, just to keep the good name. I'd rather that then someone getting their face taken off any day!

Hmm. Been wanting laser, but love my wood grips. This looks nice!

Im gonna check these out further.

post-1100-1246766102.jpg

Hey, have any of you had problems finding ammunition locally? Every store I've gone to in the last 2 months has been almost completely sold out of all handgun ammo. There's some shotgun ammo and 30-06 rounds left. Yay. <_<

So much for my trip to the range with my .380 this Sunday.