How do you stop forgetting things?

ZesteR

Hey guys,

long story short. i forget things.. all the time. little things. And it's gotten to the point where I waste time, i'm not efficient, and I get my g/f upset at me, b/c she thinks I dont care enough to remember.

It's simple things like taking the garbage out, or doing an errand. Picking up EVERYTHING at the store. Mailing out letters. It's always something that I was told needed to get done and I would say, I'll do it.

I never get to do it, or I forget.

Is this just me being really busy?

I work 42+ Hours a week, 5 classes of school, and the past two weeks, I have been dealing with car issues. (but no excuse b/c i've done for this almost a year now!)

It's getting to the point where I know I do it, I get mad at myself for doing it, yet I can't fix it.

Is there anything I can do to better remind myself?

I could put it in my phone as reminders?

No ribbons or strings on wrist/fingers.

Any good ideas to help prioritize myself would be great!!

And i know in the meantime, there isn't anything I can do to show that I'm getting better (to my g/f) than actually start doing these things.

Is this really just something that I need to start growing up, taking responsibility?

Hope there is advice out there! Thanks :D

ZesteR

Get the latest (i think it's the latest) reader's digest. It's got some great thoughts on improving your memory.

Personally, I'd say:

-do it when you think about it....if you think about the garbage a day early, move the can so that it's in your way the next day.

-put the letters that need mailed in a strange place that will be in your line of sight or in your way

-use a calandar that sends you reminders (i use yahoo calendar, but I also know that the gmail calendar will send reminders as well....) this is a good one...from appointments to mailing out an important bill...it'll remind you

-email yourself....I do this from work to home often....even though I access my personal email from work...but i'll leave it unread so it'll stay bold or on the top (my email at work will also let me delay sending...which is kinda neat)

-I write things on my hand

-I stick things into my steering wheel

-I lay stuff on the hood of my car

-I've hung stuff out my window of my car...just depends on how vital it is.

-Put a rubberband around your wrist (sort of modifying the old string on the finger reminder)

I've never really thought about all the things I do to remember things, but one thing is for sure: accountability is very important to me. A man's word should be banked on. It makes sense that I do weird things to remember things. My flaw is that I get aggrivated when my wife forgets things....because I expect everyone else to put as much importance into making good on things as I do. If you say you're gonna (do it, be there, etc)..then you do.

.....and when you don't......take responsibility for it....quickly and fully.

My flaw is that I get aggrivated when my wife forgets things....because I expect everyone else to put as much importance into making good on things as I do.

That is what my g/f feels. She does not feel I care enough about OUR apartment when I forget things.

It's worse when she'll clean something else, and then remind me about what I needed to do. Then I feel bad AND she is cleaning, kind of saying, "see how it's done", or "I pull my weight"

I have a tasks manager on my palm. I will start using it. It has reminders and sync to my laptop.

That's a great idea to put it in my way. So I "walk" into it and do not forget.

Don't use a post-it note for this one. There was a time when my car was low on fuel, and I knew I'd forget unless I used a reminder. So I put a post-it on the steeringwheel that said "GET GAS". Little did I know that it fell off and landed on the seat sticky-side up. And let me tell you - it is NOT FUN walking around all day at work with a sign on your butt that says "get gas".

Try sticking a note onto the gauge cluster instead. :)

Don't use a post-it note for this one. There was a time when my car was low on fuel, and I knew I'd forget unless I used a reminder. So I put a post-it on the steeringwheel that said "GET GAS". Little did I know that it fell off and landed on the seat sticky-side up. And let me tell you - it is NOT FUN walking around all day at work with a sign on your butt that says "get gas".

ROFLMAO!!!!

Oh man, that is too funny :D

I'll never forget that!

put down the peace pipe... other than that I believe the old saying is true, if you don't remember it must not be important. The things you forget clearly show where your priroties are. The things you forget are not important to you. If you want to start remembering things start caring more about them or start caring about the consequences of a mad girlfriend.

EDIT* I will also add that 42 hours of work plus 5 classes of school leaves little room to care about much else.

Edited by NOFX

• 4 weeks later...

Ahh, I forgot about this thread!!!

No actually I've been really good. G/f hasn't said anything to me and my phone has helped a lot!!

If I'm in a rush, and trying to gather everything quickly, I still tend to forget something small, but not a big deal.

GC Alumni
(edited)
Get the latest (i think it's the latest) reader's digest.
wow. i don't even know who you are anymore.

this won't help you out, zester, but the discovery channel had a fascinating series "human body: pushing the limits." the episode on the human mind was great, and apparently dreams are the key to committing things to memory. when you're in deep REM sleep, the brain processes everything you saw during the day, and filters out the irrelevant (e.g. me laughing about fatty reading readers digest) and stores the important things in the archives for later.

and don't blow off the stuff your girlfriend tells you, or your brain will filter it as irrelevant :D

edit: wanted to link and forgot, lol

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/human-body/epi...episode-02.html

Edited by sj

LOL, I can imagine that.

I had the exact same issue a few years back and got a DS with the brain age games and I would do them everyday and since then I do them every onec and awhile but I am a lot better. No Lie...

• 2 weeks later...
DNA
(edited)
I stop forgetting things by telling my wife something I want her to remember for me :D

Works great!!

That does not count because I also forget things that your wife tells me :D

Edited by DNA