Top of the line laptops

Magruter

Just a word of caution about Lenovo, a new coworker just got one and it has an annoying issue. When the computer is not connected to the docking station the entire machine pauses about every 2 or 3 seconds. The mouse, keyboard, anything you try to do it will shutter. He uses it for CAD and when he tries to rotate a part it jerks and shutters. If you plug it into the wall, its fine. We are in the process of talking with Lenovo about this issue.

Just a word of caution about Lenovo, a new coworker just got one and it has an annoying issue. When the computer is not connected to the docking station the entire machine pauses about every 2 or 3 seconds. The mouse, keyboard, anything you try to do it will shutter. He uses it for CAD and when he tries to rotate a part it jerks and shutters. If you plug it into the wall, its fine. We are in the process of talking with Lenovo about this issue.

BTW, how come u don't play CS anymore? :(

Alienware is overpriced IMO, but they are about the only company I know that sells upgradeable laptops (granted, I don't know what the upgrade cost would be and whether it would be worth it over just buying a new laptop). My friend thinks highly of Asus, having bought two laptops from them.

Mags, what applications/functions is this laptop going to perform? If it's strictly work, I'd see about getting a Dell Latitude (Lats are their business class laptops and Inspirons are usually home users). I have a D820 w/2GB of Ram and I'd be hard pressed to find a regular business app that would crush it (besides the fact that I am running Vista Business). If you'd like to play some games on it or such, then go for the XPS models. Swoop got one for christmas and loves it. They are heavier though...kind of takes the "mobile" out of mobile computing. He opted for the 17" widescreen and says the laptop is probably around 12lbs. One of the main reasons why I suggest Dell Latitude over Inspirons is that the better quality of parts go in the Latitudes and the parts are always consistent across multiple orders (i.e., say you order 10 Latitudes spec'd the same but space out the order to like 5 this month 5 next month...they will arrive with all the same parts). For the Inspirons with the same type of order, the first month you might get an Intel NIC while the next month a Broadcom. They'll go with whichever is cheaper at build time and they justify it with a "You asked for a gigabit NIC and you got one). I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I know it was like this a few years ago. The main selling item for me is Dell's warranty policy. I always upgrade to the 3 year policy (plus, after the purchase, you can go back and add an additional 2 years more on it I believe...I know it's this way with servers).

Edited by dwEEziL

Asus does have some high-end models that are definitely worth your consideration.

Unlike most people here though, I'm not that down on Dell laptops and their service in general of late. The XPS line has a better build quality than the standard Inspiron line, and a decked-out XPS would pretty much crush anything you could throw at it. They have 12", 15.4", and 17" XPS models, so quite a bit to choose from.

Asus does have great laptops and high-end configurations, but I believe Dell service is better from my few instances dealing with Asus. If service doesn't matter to you at all, then just go by specs and looks :)

glhf

* I just checked out the XPS 1530 (15.4") and just about maxed the specs out (except very top processor and 2GB vs 4GB ram) and it was coming out around $2000. That includes an 8600M GT video card, which would be plenty adequate for *ahem* "outside interests"

Edited by boilersax

This is the Dell XPS I'm looking at

SYSTEM COLOR Crimson Red edit

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache) edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English edit

MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz edit

HARD DRIVE Speed: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor edit

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive) edit

VIDEO CARD NVIDIA®GeForce®8700M GT graphics edit

WIRELESS CARDS Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 a/g Mini Card edit

BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9-cell) edit

SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0

Cost is $2,500

Doesn't have the screen size. Also, if I were you, I'd throw on a second battery. 1) It's always good to have a spare and two, you should be able to pop out the dvd drive and use both batteries at the same time (say when you're on a flight). Make sure to double check that this is still correct (being able to use both batteries at once) as I just checked on this laptop and there is NO WAY that the battery and dvd bay are compatible.

This is the Dell XPS I'm looking at

SYSTEM COLOR Crimson Red edit

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache) edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English edit

MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz edit

HARD DRIVE Speed: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor edit

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive) edit

VIDEO CARD NVIDIA®GeForce®8700M GT graphics edit

WIRELESS CARDS Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 a/g Mini Card edit

BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9-cell) edit

SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0

Cost is $2,500

4gbs

32 or 64gb solid state hdd

draftn

i'd still go with an asus. you'll get the same specs with a lot more fun stuff and a lower price.

From getting a dell and u guys helping me:

you'll get a 10/100 network RJ45 plug, not 1000.

If u go with 15.4" Def. get the 1680x1050 resolution, it's nice!!

I see u are getting the 8700 Vid card. I think that only fits in 17" laptops.

Get the beefier battery, well worth it. (i see u did)

SSD would be hot sauce.

Save urself some $ and get a gig of RAM, then buy ur own for MUCH cheaper and put it in. I did that twice (2gb, to 4gb)

Just comparing the 2 here

The XPS is $2,600 which seems a bit pricey

XPS M1730 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English

System Color Smoke Grey

Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA

Video Card NVIDIA®GeForce®8700M GT graphics

Hard Drive Speed: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor

Adobe Software Adobe® Reader 8.1.1 - English

Combo or DVD+RW Drive CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)

Sound Options High Definition Audio 2.0

Wireless Networking Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 a/g Mini Card

Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD

GAMING LCD Logitech® GamePanel Display

Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) Trend Micro Internet Security 15-months

Primary Battery 85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9-cell)

Warranty & Service 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor,24x7 Phone Support

CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 1Yr Warr.

Dial-Up Internet Access No ISP requested

Bluetooth and Wireless USB Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)

Environmental Options Free Recycling Kit

Physics Game Accelerator AGEIA PhysXâ„¢ 100M Processor

Dell Digital Entertainment No Entertainment software pre-installed

Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

Labels Windows XPâ„¢

And the Second the inspiron is $1,500 which seems more reasonable for about the same product.

Inspiron 1720 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition

System Color FREE Ruby Red

MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz

LCD Panel High Resolution, glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)

Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT 256NV86

Hard Drive Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1

Optical Drive CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive) 8XDVDRW

Sound Card Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition

Wireless Networking Cards Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card

Anti-Virus/ Security suite (pre-install) Trend Micro Internet Security 15-months

Battery Options 9-cell Primary Battery and 9-cell additional Lithium Ion Battery

Warranty & Service 2Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support S2OS

Bluetooth and Wireless USB Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR) TM355I [430-2348]

Good luck Mags!

You should be able to customize the Thinkpads at Lenovo's site, not sure why you couldn't find it. (don't even consider Lenovo 3000 or anything other than a Thinkpad if you go that route - completely different manufacturing - IBM's Thinkpad manufacturing is still operational in Singapore where as Lenovo's craptops are made in China).

I'm in love with my new Thinkpad...

After that I would go Asus...but personally I just couldn't find one that I was willing to spend money on. You can not customize them and they tend to be in high demand so anything with a T7300 or higher seems to be either hard to find or packed with crap you don't want to pay for. That's just my experience trying to find one that could touch my $1800 Thinkpad in the previous two months. They exist, but seem to be sold out everywhere (up here at least).

Wouldn't recommend anything else. And if you're getting a gaming machine, get a desktop, don't get a laptop with gaming in mind...if you are then wait for the Centrino 2 to come out